Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

In something of a quandary and just looking for a bit of advice, I think.

A day ago, I had a good possible job opportunity made available to me. Better pay, better benefits, in a likely better place than I am now. It's a benefits package that would really be a step up.

The downside is that they need a person pretty much immediately. And as such taking that job if offered would mean me breaking a contract with my current employer, with all that entails. No financial penalties, but I don't like screwing people over. Also, for at least the first few months the job I would be in would be probationary and I would need to take on an additional qualification alongside the job which would be a big increase in both workload and stress, along with all the classic Covid-19 related uncertainty now.

So...do I roll the dice and go for it? Or do I turn it down and want to angle for a similar opportunity at another time?

I have until tomorrow to decide on it.

What does your gut instinct tell you Mac?

26 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

A day ago, I had a good possible job opportunity made available to me. Better pay, better benefits, in a likely better place than I am now. It's a benefits package that would really be a step up.

The downside is that they need a person pretty much immediately. And as such taking that job if offered would mean me breaking a contract with my current employer, with all that entails. No financial penalties, but I don't like screwing people over. Also, for at least the first few months the job I would be in would be probationary and I would need to take on an additional qualification alongside the job which would be a big increase in both workload and stress, along with all the classic Covid-19 related uncertainty now.

So...do I roll the dice and go for it? Or do I turn it down and want to angle for a similar opportunity at another time?

If it's better for you, and it's what you want, go for it. I've learnt quite swiftly over the last couple of weeks that we really need to do what our instincts tell us is best for us. 

Good luck whatever you decide 👍

34 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

is the company you are going to financially stable? more stable than your current company?

If both companies were hit hard from the current crisis, which one do you think would ride the storm better?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

is the company you are going to financially stable? more stable than your current company?

If both companies were hit hard from the current crisis, which one do you think would ride the storm better?

I.e. If you work for Weatherspoons and the offer is from Tesco then Jump!  If not be a little more careful.

Have you been more than two years in your role?  Will the new employer waive the probationary period given the circumstances? - bear in mind this will only give you a bit more notice period.

Edited by Jon the Hat

39 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Go for it, if you feel the people there are decent and it’s a better fit for you

I am sure your current employers won’t begrudge you if you are moving up in the world 

I think it might be a decent fit, I'm just concerned about being able to deal with the additional workload and uncertainty.

27 minutes ago, Izzy said:

What does your gut instinct tell you Mac?

That's the thing Izzy, normally I can get a good read from my gut but this time it's split pretty much 50/50.

12 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If it's better for you, and it's what you want, go for it. I've learnt quite swiftly over the last couple of weeks that we really need to do what our instincts tell us is best for us. 

Good luck whatever you decide 👍

Thanks. There's something in saying that we only have a certain amount of time, true.

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

Very stable, more so than the one I'm with, I reckon. It round be a step up.

Honestly, materially it's a big winner - my concerns are moral and personal on this one. If they'd offered me this post in six months time when my contract is up with no course based caveats then I would have snapped their hand off, but seemingly it's not that easy.

Anyhow, late over here and I'll sleep on it. Thanks to everyone who has chipped in so far and who might chip in later.

Just now, leicsmac said:

I think it might be a decent fit, I'm just concerned about being able to deal with the additional workload and uncertainty.

That's the thing Izzy, normally I can get a good read from my gut but this time it's split pretty much 50/50.

Thanks. There's something in saying that we only have a certain amount of time, true.

Honestly, materially it's a big winner - my concerns are moral and personal on this one. If they'd offered me this post in six months time when my contract is up with no course based caveats then I would have snapped their hand off, but seemingly it's not that easy.

Anyhow, late over here and I'll sleep on it. Thanks to everyone who has chipped in so far and who might chip in later.

If you have to repay anything to your current employer, it is always worth asking for a sign on bonus!  You never know.

32 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Is there a  boss/ supervisor who you would consider a friend?  call them. explain it to them.  i can’t help but think they would tell you to ‘ go for it’. Maybe that would be the green light you feel you need.

They might  also tell you something about the perspective new company that you didn’t know about that could be a deal breaker. 

Edited by MPH

43 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

is there any good multiplayer board game apps to download? want to play like a group game of trivial pursuits or something but obviously on the phone not in real life. 

you can download Risk. it was free and you can link it to facebook to play with your facebook friends.. or random people around the world.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

Suffered a nose-bleed incident at work on Wednesday and had another one at home earlier today.

Presume it's dry air that could be causing it (No, I don't pick my nose)?

How can I prevent this from happening?

11 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Suffered a nose-bleed incident at work on Wednesday and had another one at home earlier today.

How to Prevent Nosebleeds

You can’t always prevent nosebleeds from happening, but there are certain things you can do to help lower your chances of getting them:

• Keep the inside of your nose moist. Dryness can cause nosebleeds. Use a cotton swab to gently smear a thin layer petroleum jelly in your nostrils three times a day, including before you go to sleep. You can also use an antibiotic ointment like Bacitracin or Polysporin.
  • Use a saline nasal product. Spraying it in your nostrils helps keep the inside of your nose moist.
  • Use a humidifier. Your nostrils might be dry because the air in your house is dry.
  • Don’t smoke. Smoking can irritate the inside of your nose and dry it out.
  • Don’t pick your nose. Also, don’t blow or rub it too hard. If your child is getting nosebleeds, keep his fingernails short and discourage him from picking his nose.
  • Don’t use cold and allergy medications too often. These can dry out your nose. In some cases, certain medications can cause nosebleeds or make them worse. You may need to discuss your medications with your doctor. But keep taking them unless your doctor tells you to stop.
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Wymsey said:

you can occasionally get them if you have high blood pressure too. Any headaches with them?

8 hours ago, MPH said:

you can occasionally get them if you have high blood pressure too. Any headaches with them?

Only afterwards.

Had my blood pressure checked and is fine.

Think it's dehydration on a warm hospital ward more than anything else.

Not sure if this is the correct thread, wife is Self employed and has had to stop working since the measurs the PM put in place last week. I have looked into anything she can claim from the govt before start of June (on what Rishi announced last week) - cant claim universal credit because its means tested and my income is too high but looks like she can claim something called ESA? £72 a week, is not great but its better than a smack in the face.

My problem being is how do you actually apply for it? Ive registered for her on universal credit as I assume thats the avenue you have to go down, but massive waiting times on getting her digitally verified. Neither of us have claimed anything in our lives so not used to the system. This ESA benefit isnt means tested so by the looks of it could be fine. Can anyone help? 

Anybody else had a really weird (mild-ish) headache for about a week? Quite a few people discussing this on twitter saying it could be something to do with record high pressure in the atmosphere. Others think it’s due to 5g (lol). The rest reckon it’s COVID lol 

It started in the right side of my head like behind my right eye and then it transitioned over to the left side as the week went on. Weird man. 

Edited by Manini

7 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread, wife is Self employed and has had to stop working since the measurs the PM put in place last week. I have looked into anything she can claim from the govt before start of June (on what Rishi announced last week) - cant claim universal credit because its means tested and my income is too high but looks like she can claim something called ESA? £72 a week, is not great but its better than a smack in the face.

My problem being is how do you actually apply for it? Ive registered for her on universal credit as I assume thats the avenue you have to go down, but massive waiting times on getting her digitally verified. Neither of us have claimed anything in our lives so not used to the system. This ESA benefit isnt means tested so by the looks of it could be fine. Can anyone help? 

I believe there should be a 'New Style ESA'. 

This should help if you've not seen it...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#eligibility

43 minutes ago, Manini said:

Anybody else had a really weird (mild-ish) headache for about a week? Quite a few people discussing this on twitter saying it could be something to do with record high pressure in the atmosphere. Others think it’s due to 5g (lol). The rest reckon it’s COVID lol 

It started in the right side of my head like behind my right eye and then it transitioned over to the left side as the week went on. Weird man. 

My migraines have come back really badly lately, and seemingly for no apparent reason. I reckon it's the 5g thing lol

On 25/03/2020 at 02:58, leicsmac said:

Speaking from an experience I had a couple of years ago, where I took on extra work load, way more than anyone should take on, and it burnt me out.

My mental health suffered quite badly as did my marriage and my relationship with my children.

I have since stepped backwards and feel a whole lot better for it.

Have a think about what you can take on right now and don’t burn yourself out, it’s just not worth it.

I rent a room in a house that I won't be living in for the foreseeable. Ideally I'd like to move out as it's going to be costing me a lot of money. Would it be acceptable for me to travel to the house to move my stuff out and end my tenancy or would this be considered breaking the rules of the lockdown?

15 minutes ago, matty98 said:

I rent a room in a house that I won't be living in for the foreseeable. Ideally I'd like to move out as it's going to be costing me a lot of money. Would it be acceptable for me to travel to the house to move my stuff out and end my tenancy or would this be considered breaking the rules of the lockdown?

Where are you moving out to? 

Under the rules and guidance I don't think it would be allowed as you're not moving for any emergency reasons...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

Where are you moving out to? 

Under the rules and guidance I don't think it would be allowed as you're not moving for any emergency reasons...

Thought not, thanks.

My parents, I've been living with them since being told to work from home.

• 2 weeks later...