Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

On 06/07/2019 at 16:23, matty98 said:

If I book an open train ticket which has a change in London, can I get off in London and spend the day there before continuing the journey later on in the day?

Should be fine

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Anybody use a floor grinder before, ive got a bout 4 M2 to do, how long will it take?

is this a floor "sander' for working with wooden floor boards?

If so 4 Square metres in my (limited) experience will take you about 20 - 30 mins. I assume you will need to do a few passes with different levels of paper, so at least 2 hours?

Note, if you are doing an indoor floor with skirting boards etc, the sander wont get right to the edge and you need another one for that.

* If this isnt for wood... then disregard :) (thats what she said)

• 2 weeks later...

What’s the best way to clean your telly screen? I have a toddler, so my telly is constantly fouled with tot dribble / mess. It’s really difficult to

clean without leaving smears, which are visible in certain light.

Tips?

Just now, Saxondale said:

What’s the best way to clean your telly screen? I have a toddler, so my telly is constantly fouled with tot dribble / mess. It’s really difficult to

Tips?

£1 box of glass cleaner wipes from Aldi. 

Tried a zillion things on tvs/monitors/switch etc and never found anything nearly as good. 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2019 at 12:02, Saxondale said:

Tips?

I use a solution of vinegar and water and wipe with a kitchen towel. Don't waste money buying stuff. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

How do you avoid cables when drilling to put a shelf up? I know you can buy a cable checker, but they seem to be not completely reliable? 

Don't want a repeat of the nails through the central heating pipes under the floorboards (not me!). 

Get your wife/partner to do it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

How do you avoid cables when drilling to put a shelf up? I know you can buy a cable checker, but they seem to be not completely reliable? 

Don't want a repeat of the nails through the central heating pipes under the floorboards (not me!). 

Use this instead to put your shelf up :thumbup:

Image result for no more screws

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Play the percentages?

What are the odds of hitting a cable, realistically? In my whole life I have never given it a moments thought when drilling into a wall and I’ve never hit a cable. Probably avoid drilling above a socket?

@Strokes is a sparky - he should be able to advise you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

Play the percentages?

What are the odds of hitting a cable, realistically? In my whole life I have never given it a moments thought when drilling into a wall and I’ve never hit a cable. Probably avoid drilling above a socket?

@Strokes is a sparky - he should be able to advise you. 

Yeah that’s pretty much it @Buce, avoid horizontal and vertical lines near sockets and switches and hope for the best.

Id be more concerned about hitting water pipes to be honest.

• Like 1

Looking for some advice. I am nearly halfway through a ten-week summer internship at a strategy consultancy - it is the summer of my second and penultimate year at university. In theory, they may offer me a permanent job for when I graduate, with the expectation of an answer at the end of my internship. I quite like some parts of the job but I would want to explore my options and look into different possibilities during my third year before I commit myself to this particular company and sector - anyone got any tips on the best way to play this situation? Essentially I would like this company to be one of the options I seriously consider, but I get the sense that if I were to be offered a position, they would expect a ‘yes’ straight away. Also, I am desperate to take time out to travel before I go straight into a job post-uni, and I’m not sure how easily you can demand that from prospective employers.