Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’d go for the horse sized duck, then I could eat it when I win.

You'd then be too fat and bloated to fight back when the 100 duck-sized horses attacked.

My recommendation is that you pick off a few of the duck-sized horses first and eat them. That keeps your strength and fitness up to take out the horse-sized duck.

Eat one of its legs and put the rest of the carcass in the freezer while you fight the remaining duck-sized horses, emerging triumphant - and hungry for more reheated horse-duck or fresh duck-horse.

You're welcome. No need to thank me.

6 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Random one, but I've been approached to do some maths tutoring (GCSE). Never done it before and never hired a tutor either so have no idea how much to charge.

Foxestalk, over to you, any ideas...?

£75 per hour, and then you can test the parents maths by invoicing more.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Random one, but I've been approached to do some maths tutoring (GCSE). Never done it before and never hired a tutor either so have no idea how much to charge.

Foxestalk, over to you, any ideas...?

When I was in that line of business about a decade ago I charged 20 quid per hour for GCSE tutoring plus whatever travel expenses I had to incur.

So perhaps 25-30 per hour now is reasonable?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

When I was in that line of business about a decade ago I charged 20 quid per hour for GCSE tutoring plus whatever travel expenses I had to incur.

So perhaps 25-30 per hour now is reasonable?

Tidy! Gives me an idea of what I'll charge! Cheers

• Like 1

I was browsing some e-books on Amazon couple of days back when I realised that the printed books appear to be cheaper from e-books now.   I was initially pleased as like everyone else I have always preferred the feel of paper but bought e-books for financial and storage reasons (as I used to travel a bit during my student years).    However this may sound bit ridiculous but I then thought of the damage to the environment if I buy paper based books however I really want to buy these especially that they are now cheaper.   I am not exactly a tree hugger hippie but I do what I can to reduce my carbon footprint and downloading e-books are one of the more easiest solution.     I was wondering whether if anyone have any environment friendly suggestions for buying paper based books?  I know I can probably recycle or donate to libraries etc but there are still trees being cut down etc when there is a more environment friendly alternative in the form of e-books.

Or I am just looking for some reassurance or flimsy excuses to turn a blind eye if I decide to buy paper based books? :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

If my contract states I can terminate my employment with one weeks notice during my 6 month probationary period, does that mean I can hand in my notice and quit within a week? 

It means you have to work at least a week after handing in your notice, though you may have accrued holiday which can be used also.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

If my contract states I can terminate my employment with one weeks notice during my 6 month probationary period, does that mean I can hand in my notice and quit within a week? 

Are you thinking of quitting already?

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Nah not yet, just wanting to know where I stand with a few parts of my contract lol

Fair enough bud, just don't do anything too rash. You'll have good days and shite days in the new job while you find your feet :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Fair enough bud, just don't do anything too rash. You'll have good days and shite days in the new job while you find your feet :thumbup:

Yeah you're right, I need to give it a fair shot and settle in before I make any big decisions. It's one of those where a lot is going on behind the scenes that isn't very good lol

29 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Yeah you're right, I need to give it a fair shot and settle in before I make any big decisions. It's one of those where a lot is going on behind the scenes that isn't very good lol

If I remember correctly (doubtful!😟) from a previous thread, you set up lab experiments don't you? You were on a pay grade above co-workers, is that causing strife?

19 minutes ago, Flamey said:

If I remember correctly (doubtful!😟) from a previous thread, you set up lab experiments don't you? You were on a pay grade above co-workers, is that causing strife?

You're right on it all, minus the issue! My coworkers have been great and have helped me where possible. Management on the other hand aren't great to put it politely. Genuinely don't think they could arrange a piss up in a brewery. Amongst other things going on there, it isn't a lot of fun working there so far 

Edited by UniFox21

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

You're right on it all, minus the issue! My coworkers have been great and have helped me where possible. Management on the other hand aren't great to put it politely. Genuinely don't think they could arrange a piss up in a brewery. Amongst other things going on there, it isn't a lot of fun working there so far 

FWIW, when I first started working many moons ago, I soon realised that many managers were incompetent, over promoted and crap at getting the best out of people. It actually inspired me to want to be a manager myself ASAP so I could prove I could do a better job. You can use this current frustration as motivation and to build your own self confidence when you soon realise they're mostly no better than you are.

• Like 2

Just now, Izzy said:

FWIW, when I first started working many moons ago, I soon realised that many managers were incompetent, over promoted and crap at getting the best out of people. It actually inspired me to want to be a manager myself ASAP so I could prove I could do a better job. You can use this current frustration as motivation and to build your own self confidence when you soon realise they're mostly no better than you are.

This is something I really want to work on, my lack of self confidence and self belief eats away at me and makes so many simple things difficult. 

27 minutes ago, Izzy said:

24 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This is something I really want to work on, my lack of self confidence and self belief eats away at me and makes so many simple things difficult. 

Strongly agree with what Izzy said, I've worked most of my career in the commercial lab/analytical sector and spent a lot of time devising better working practice (even when it wasnt my job to), I strongly believe this improved my own confidence and eventually got me to 'head of reporting',  I'm sure things will work out for you as you sound like a conscientious person and the fact you started on a higher grade obviously means someone has noticed your skill set.😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Need a credit card for my holiday in New York. Haven’t had one before does anyone have any advice? I am thinking of getting the virgin travel one.

I only just got my first one with Santander as it's who I usually bank with. If you're with them I'd recommend any of their viable options as it's dead easy to manage and the mobile app is pretty good.

Sounds like I work for them.

55 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Need a credit card for my holiday in New York. Haven’t had one before does anyone have any advice? I am thinking of getting the virgin travel one.

Don’t know if they do any which are specifically tailored to suit travelling abroad, but I’ve used Barclaycard for all my credit in the past and they’re really good.