Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Anyone every done a video job application?

I've seen a job in my field at Aldi Head office and I'm only on the practice question. Every take I do stumble over my words and I feel like a right knob. I hate talking into a camera to nobody.

Anybody got any tips?

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I've seen a job in my field at Aldi Head office and I'm only on the practice question. Every take I do stumble over my words and I feel like a right knob. I hate talking into a camera to nobody.

Anybody got any tips?

This sounds a bit crude but...

If you position your laptop/PC camera at eye level with a wall directly behind, you can put your script/answers on the wall and then when you read it, it'll still look like you're facing straight into the camera.

Or if you don't want it scripted and would rather go free style, stick a picture of friends/family behind and pretend you're talking to them.

Assuming this is recorded and you then send it in, they'll never know :)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

This sounds a bit crude but...

If you position your laptop/PC camera at eye level with a wall directly behind, you can put your script/answers on the wall and then when you read it, it'll still look like you're facing straight into the camera.

Or if you don't want it scripted and would rather go free style, stick a picture of friends/family behind and pretend you're talking to them.

Assuming this is recorded and you then send it in, they'll never know :)

I don't know what the questions will be, so trying to script it might be risky, but the picture of a friend might be a good idea. I just can't get my head round speaking to nobody.

Plus the video really highlights my lisp lol

Cheers for the advice. You can keep your tips lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Anybody got any tips?

Try putting a piece of paper or something in the way of the video of you. So you aren’t concentrating on what a twat you look all the time :thumbup::D

Genuinely though I find I’m just distracted by myself on video half the time on these things and it’s much more free flowing if I can’t see my ugly mug.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Try putting a piece of paper or something in the way of the video of you. So you aren’t concentrating on what a twat you look all the time :thumbup::D

Genuinely though I find I’m just distracted by myself on video half the time on these things and it’s much more free flowing if I can’t see my ugly mug.

Also another good shout. Cheers.

I much prefer talking to a person, even if it's over Zoom or Skype. 

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Also another good shout. Cheers.

I much prefer talking to a person, even if it's over Zoom or Skype. 

Yeah you concentrate on them then and play for reaction.

Its weird doing a recording and I just end up covering half my face with my hand.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Anybody got any tips?

I did a video interview for a placement for Aldi’s head office and it was awful, hated it. Turn your brightness right down to avoid looking at yourself and have a glass of water to hand to give you a bit of thinking time if needed and avoiding a dry mouth 

• Like 3

@Facecloth Do you not have somebody who can sit behind the camera who can read the question to you - and then before you answer you click record and almost pretend you’re talking to them rather than just sitting in a room talking to yourself? Might not be logistically possible but I think that would help me if I was doing it. 

Just seen that Iz said something similar tbf! 

Whatever you decide to do good luck with it! 

Edited by Manini

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking to my sister this morning, and we'd both watched the Alex Brooker documentary on BBC 2 from Sunday night, and got onto the subject of disability. She was telling me an ex colleague of hers who has had a baby boy, and posting picture on Facebook of him, and after a few weeks she'd only just spotted his left arm is missing from the elbow.

So my question is, if you're born without a hand, can that hand still be your dominant hand? I know this kid will have to learn to write with his right hand whatever the answer to this is, but in his mind could his left still be dominant, even though he never had it? My sisters mother in law lost and arm a couple of years back, and i know people like her will be left or right handed and have to adapt if they lose that arm, but what if you never had it?

Edited by Facecloth
put shoulder instead of eblow

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I was talking to my sister this morning, and we'd both watched the Alex Brooker documentary on BBC 2 from Sunday night, and got onto the subject of disability. She was telling me an ex colleague of hers who has had a baby boy, and posting picture on Facebook or him, and after a few weeks she'd only just spotted his left arm is missing from the shoulder.

So my question is, if you're born without a hand, can that hand still be your dominant hand? I know this kid will have to learn to write with his right hand whatever the answer to this is, but in his mind could his left still be dominant, even though he never had it? My sisters mother in law lost and arm a couple of years back, and i know people like her will be left or right handed and have to adapt if they lose that arm, but what if you never had it?

Last time I ever saw a study about right/left side dominance it was suggested it was genetics based. So I'd imagine it would depend on exactly why he was missing an arm. If it was just a birth defect then I'd guess it could still be the dominant side. I mean in any case, isn't left/right hand dominance the same as left/right foot dominance? 

Damn interesting question though. Wonder if there's any proper science folk on here to answer it. :D

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I had to go back and re read this bit, I honestly first read it as though the mother only noticed it after posting photos on Facebook 

Maybe she wasn't paying attention lol

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Is 4 poos a day normal? X 

If you suffer from Crohns or Colitis it can be at least double that. Think yourself lucky :thumbup:

8 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Is 4 poos a day normal? X 

I shit twice every morning. Usually once about 10 to 15 minutes after i wake and then again within 30 minutes of the first one.

Thought i'd share the shitty news with ya.

A work colleague needs to buy a new car for his wife as her current car is virtually on the scrap heap. He’s found a couple that are possibilities, but they are both outside of the local lockdown zone, where as they live inside it. Would it be classed as essential travel for him to go outside of the zone to look at & potentially buy another car? As his wife will need a reliable motor to travel to her key worker job? He’s just a bit worried about getting pulled and fined. 

Edited by stix

9 minutes ago, stix said:

A work colleague needs to buy a new car for his wife as her current car is virtually on the scrap heap. He’s found a couple that are possibilities, but they are both outside of the local lockdown zone, where as they live inside it. Would it be classed as essential travel for him to go outside of the zone to look at & potentially buy another car? As his wife will need a reliable motor to travel to her key worker job? He’s just a bit worried about getting pulled and fined. 

I'd imagine it would be fine. Besides, the odds of getting pulled by our for fun police service are pretty flipping slim. If he is just explain what he's doing, don't make something up like travelling to London for cheaper bread or some shite. lol

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, stix said:

From what I know, the police can't hand out fines if you're stopped (like at the start of the lockdown) - they can redirect you home if they feel your travel is unnecessary and fine you if you ignore their request

Not sure totally on the rules as wether it would be classed as essential travel, but if I was in those circumstances and needed a car I'd go. Think the worst that could happen is getting pulled over and sent home, but then at least you'd have a little drive out. Where's the car located? Durham?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Is there any posting stats which outline the busiest day of posting, @Mark?

Reckon today must be up there, considering what's just happened?

It seemed fairly busy throughout today than normal, too.

Busiest day is 4,354 posts on 31 August 2017.

So far today we've had 4,177...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Busiest day is 4,354 posts on 31 August 2017.

So far today we've had 4,177...

Thanks.

Surely that will be beaten.

20 minutes to go..

Edited by Wymsey