Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Gelson Fernandes

+ 1

We most def lack creativity in the final third. Someone with pace and the ability to run at defenders. Look at reading and QPR for prime examples last season. Ripped teams apart on the counter especially reading.

We scored more goals at home than any other team in the league last season.

I also believe someone pointed out from the date Sven joined we also outscored most teams in the league, including QPR with number of goals scored in total.

We also created and spooned more chances than most other teams last year.

Have people forgotten that our major problems were poor defending and people spooning easy chances last year. Attack wise creating really didn't seem a huge problem, missing the easy chances was.

We will be adding a good striker (hopefully Maynard) and have added Danns (10 last year) and Nugent (14 last year).

We scored more goals at home than any other team in the league last season.

I also believe someone pointed out from the date Sven joined we also outscored most teams in the league, including QPR with number of goals scored in total.

We also created and spooned more chances than most other teams last year.

Have people forgotten that our major problems were poor defending and people spooning easy chances last year. Attack wise creating really didn't seem a huge problem, missing the easy chances was.

We will be adding a good striker (hopefully Maynard) and have added Danns (10 last year) and Nugent (14 last year).

This is the exact point I was going to make, people keep saying we have no creativity but we didn't do too badly going forward last season, only thing we're missing from last season is Yakubu. Don't get me wrong, I hope we sign a striker and winger before the start of the season but I think people are exaggerating the 'we have no creativity line' based on a couple of tough friendlies against European level sides.

Also, didnt we also have the most corners last season? The addition of Mills and St Ledger mean that set peices will had to our goal threat.

I think we're missing abit more, two attacking full backs were crucial to our goalscoring at home last season. Pantsil and Konchesky will be better defensively but remains to be seen if they are as effective going forward.

I think we're missing abit more, two attacking full backs were crucial to our goalscoring at home last season. Pantsil and Konchesky will be better defensively but remains to be seen if they are as effective going forward.

Absolute screamer.....

Going back to the creativity thing, I know we scored a lot last season so that points to us being a creative side, however... We played attack minded football, this left us scoring a lot more but also conceding a hell of a lot as well. I know we've shored up the defence, but if we play the style we played last season then they'll still have a lot of work to do. The point about bring in someone more creative allows us to sit back at times in the game but still pose a threat.

Going back to the creativity thing, I know we scored a lot last season so that points to us being a creative side, however... We played attack minded football, this left us scoring a lot more but also conceding a hell of a lot as well. I know we've shored up the defence, but if we play the style we played last season then they'll still have a lot of work to do. The point about bring in someone more creative allows us to sit back at times in the game but still pose a threat.

Maybe, but I think you said it yourself - we should fare better now if we carry on doing exactly what we did last season, simply because the defence looks more suited to the division. I don't necessarily think, player for player, the new back 5 is that much of an improvement on last season, but the defence we have now has tons more experience of the division, and is made up of permanent signings, who will have a chance to really learn to perform well as a unit, possibly for years to come.

Besides, the transfer window isn't shut yet, and I wouldn't be shocked to see a few attacking players sign for us before the January window. Sven said he wants 2 players for each position. We might end up with 6 CM's - maybe King, Wellens, Danns, Abe, Fernandes, Johnson, and 6 forwards - maybe Gallagher, Vassell, Nugent, Waghorn, 2 of Yak/Heskey/Maynard/Townsend. That might be wishful thinking on my part, but this is probably the most optimistic I've felt in any pre-season I can remember.

I don't think we need him now that we've signed Johnson.

At best we'll only play 3 centre-mids, and we've already got to leave out two of King, Wellens, Danns, Johnson and Abe.

Players of this standard won't be happy sitting on the bench just covering for injuries. (Well, maybe Abe will)

I don't think we need him now that we've signed Johnson.

At best we'll only play 3 centre-mids, and we've already got to leave out two of King, Wellens, Danns, Johnson and Abe.

Players of this standard won't be happy sitting on the bench just covering for injuries. (Well, maybe Abe will)

The players will be rotated a lot over the season. Sven has said he wants 2 players for each position, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had 6 CMs at the start of the season.

Fernandes would be an excellent signing, great defensive midfielder. This signing along with the loan capture of Johnson, i'd be more than happy for Wellens to make way in midfield. Always been overrated in my opinion and is way too inconsistent, nearly always shying away in the big games.

Fernandes would be an excellent signing, great defensive midfielder. This signing along with the loan capture of Johnson, i'd be more than happy for Wellens to make way in midfield. Always been overrated in my opinion and is way too inconsistent, nearly always shying away in the big games.

Careful, you'll be told you know FA about football and should take up bowls with comments like that.

Abe lol

I like Abe.... :whistle:

Partly because when my (now elderly) dad goes to the games with me he can never remember his name and instead says "that little rice-munching fella is playing well".... :frusty:

Archived