Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Bruno Berner

One of my favourite players, and for someone who saw the O'Neill years that's some accolade.

I'm not one for wanting players to stay and coach just because they've been good for us. Players get paid well for what they do and it's nice to see them conducting themselves in a genuine manner and looking like they care, but the club owes them nothing once they can no longer play.

If they can offer something then it's an added bonus if they were a cult hero here (e.g. Taggart) but tough decisions need to be made and I think it says a lot that a manager who appreciated Bruno a lot more than Sven (Pearson) isn't willing to keep him on as Sven hinted he might be. And there's the difference between the two (Pearson and Sven), Nigel will make the cut-throat decisions that whip us into shape (e.g. binning Mills), Sven wouldn't.

One of my favourite players, and for someone who saw the O'Neill years that's some accolade.

I'm not one for wanting players to stay and coach just because they've been good for us. Players get paid well for what they do and it's nice to see them conducting themselves in a genuine manner and looking like they care, but the club owes them nothing once they can no longer play.

If they can offer something then it's an added bonus if they were a cult hero here (e.g. Taggart) but tough decisions need to be made and I think it says a lot that a manager who appreciated Bruno a lot more than Sven (Pearson) isn't willing to keep him on as Sven hinted he might be. And there's the difference between the two (Pearson and Sven), Nigel will make the cut-throat decisions that whip us into shape (e.g. binning Mills), Sven wouldn't.

Spot on as usual FW..

Oh well. All good things have to come to an end at one point.

Thanks for all the great memories, the goals and all the effort you put in whilst being at Leicester City FC.

I'll also always remember you for being one of the most decent players I've ever met, a true gentleman.

I do hope he'll enter football management soon.

Bruno-Berner-celebrates-Leicester-v-Swansea_2546944.jpg

Danke für d'Erinnerige und din Iisatz! Alles Gueti für d'Zuekunft.

A very good point and it is exactly this which is why I'm a big fan of Pearson's and why I think he will be great for our club in the long term.

Bruno was a major reason that we managed to make it to the playoffs in 2010. Whenever he was playing, we looked much more composed, defensively solid and much better on the ball. When he wasn't playing, we just weren't the same team. I can remember Plymouth away where he made some fantastic last ditch tackles and a great clearance off the line and pretty much single handedly won us a point in that game. It's amazing how a left back could have so much of an influence on the team tbh. I'm sure that the stats would prove that we had a much higher Points per Game ratio with him playing than without.

His legs weren't quite up to it after that season unfortunately however, he has remained the model professional. He's pretty much my only 'favourite' player I've had while supporting City. A true gentleman. I wish him all the very best in the future and would happily welcome him back if he were to return to our club one day in some capacity.

That run against Cardiff sums up his whole time here.

Bruno! Bruno! Bruno!

Do you mean the one right at the end of extra time when he took it from his own box to the edge of theirs, looked certain to score a wonder goal before some twat hacked him at knee height and didn't get sent off?

Just seen that Bruno has launched his latest blog on his website today.

"Nigel needs results. There is no room for sentimental feelings on the pitch and sacrifices have to be made. He simply does not have the time to reactivate a veteran and see how it goes. Again, he is right to do so."

He says plenty more, but it shows the guy's character.

http://www.brunoberner.com/2012/03/brunos-blog-in-nigel-i-trust/

His latest Blog post is very insightful into Nigel Pearson as a manager

As Bruno is no longer on the payroll he can talk openly

Obviously we already knew it was about character & winners

But it tells you something about the manager that he can tell a player he has no future at the club and the player still says he's the best manager he's played under

Especially in regards to his man-management and leadership skills, he is the best manager I have played under. Nigel’s focus to win the next game is admirable and the spirit he creates exceptional. He treats players like humans and not like a product you buy in the supermarket.
I personally trust Nigel.

With some transitional times ahead, that is something we should all do! At least until the International breaks next October, which seems to be the watershed moments in manager's seasons having seen how their summer signings, coaching & their ethos pans out on the pitch

His latest Blog post is very insightful into Nigel Pearson as a manager As Bruno is no longer on the payroll he can talk openly Obviously we already knew it was about character & winners But it tells you something about the manager that he can tell a player he has no future at the club and the player still says he's the best manager he's played under With some transitional times ahead, that is something we should all do! At least until the International breaks next October, which seems to be the watershed moments in manager's seasons having seen how their summer signings, coaching & their ethos pans out on the pitch

Indeed it does, though I think it's also testament to Bruno's character. As I say, he's always been an absolute credit to our club.

Sounds like Pearson has made the correct decision. We can now look back and appreciate an excellent servant, a super piece of business. It is a shame there is no role for him at the club, he seems like he has the attributes for that sort of thing.

He was always there on the teamsheet, no messing, no worries about whether he'd turn up, or whether he'd be fit. You just noted he was there and didn't worry.

And so departs the most commited player to have pulled on a LCFC jersey this century.

Miss you already Bruno! Thanks for the memories.

And for breaking our duck from corners within 40 minutes of being reinstated to the line-up.

It's shame we won't get to give him a proper send off, I think a few of the old guard will be leaving this summer, Oakley and Howard spring to mind, would be nice to be able to have cheered them off the pitch one last time. They were insturmental in restoring pride to the club after Holloway and Mandaric took us to our lowest ever.

That's 2 great 'Brunos' we have had at City, the other one of course was local lad......Emile 'Bruno' Heskey.

Very best wishes to BB, smashing bloke & a great loyal player in his time at City.

I remember after a game this year (think it was Barnsley) he got it in his car to drive off and a kid ran after him, he saw the kid and stopped and got out, picked the lad up and walked him back to his parents had a picture taken and signed his shirt. I'll alway remember what a great guy he is

Merc

Playing for Leicester City has been a highlight of Bruno Berner's playing career.

The Switzerland international became a cult hero with the Blue Army during his three-and-a-half years at City, and he believes he played some of the best football of his 15-year career at the club.

• 3585011.png

The 34-year-old announced his retirement on Thursday but said he is heading back to Switzerland to pursue a coaching career with fond memories of playing for City.

"Playing for Leicester City has been one of the highlights of my career," he said.

"I am very proud of my career because I had a lot of setbacks through injuries and not playing regularly.

"I played in several countries and played for Switzerland, but it was my ambition to play in England and I achieved that.

"These five years in England, with Blackburn Rovers and Leicester, have been great but that chapter is closing now. Looking back though, I would do exactly the same again."

Berner especially enjoyed his first two seasons at City under Pearson, when they had great success.

Although it was Pearson who told him he no longer featured in his plans, prompting his retirement, Berner hailed his boss as the best manager he had played for.

"The first two years under Nigel were great," he said.

"I can say Nigel has been the best manager I have had in my career. We won the League One title and had a very good season in the Championship before Nigel left, and that momentum was lost. We didn't use that platform to build upon.

"Until then I was a player who had a big impact on the team, but the change of manager broke my neck.

"But those two years I played regularly and well, and it is probably the most consistent I have played in my career. I finally proved myself in English football.

"With Nigel back they are absolutely heading to the Premier League. I know him, and his man-management skills and leadership is outstanding.

"Something went wrong when he left. Now he needs time to rebuild again and next time he will take them all the way. If it happens this season I don't know, but if not then certainly next season."

Berner said he had been thinking about his future ever since Sven-Goran Eriksson arrived and he fell down the pecking order at City, but it was after Pearson told him he was planning for the future without him that he took the decision to hang up his boots.

"It has been in my mind for quite a while," he said. "When Nigel arrived back in November he soon made it clear he wasn't planning with me in mind.

"When Sven left and Nigel came back there was some hope that I would play for Leicester City again, but he assessed the situation and told me. I completely understand his position. My fitness had gone by then and it is hard to get it back.

"I probably could have picked up the pace again but Nigel doesn't have the time to reactivate a veteran. He needs instant success so I understood his decision. But at the same time, that made my mind up.

"When you don't play regularly at my age, your biggest enemy is the fitness.

"If you can't play regularly it is hard to keep up with the rest in training.

"I could see how my fitness was slipping away week after week. My physicality was always the strength of my game and, without that, it was hard to have an impact."

Now Berner is focused on his future as a coach in his native Switzerland.

"I may have a tear in one eye but I am looking forward with the other," he said.

"I have been working towards the next step for the past couple of years because I need to prepare for the next 30 years of my professional life.

"I just want to thank all the fans for their support because it has been amazing. They always showed a lot of faith in me and I tried to give them 100 per cent every game."

Reminds me of Pontus Kaamark.

A quiet, understated, model professional. Both players had their City careers cut short by circumstances beyond their control too.

Let's hope he walks out onto the pitch at half time in the not too distant future.

Reminds me of Pontus Kaamark.

A quiet, understated, model professional. Both players had their City careers cut short by circumstances beyond their control too.

Let's hope he walks out onto the pitch at half time in the not too distant future.

That day will be today as Stringer has just tweeted Bruno will be coming on to the pitch at half-time to say goodbye.

Archived