Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ThurnbyLodgeFox

Summer 2012 Transfer Wish List

I would agree.

People will argue with you in terms of his age, but Derry could still cut it at this level.

I'm still not sure the midfield looks anywhere near good enough. It just looks too weak, physically.

I agree. The midfield to me looks a bit lightweight and I can see us getting out battled and shy away specially when it gets a bit more physical away from home.

Don't get me wrong the signings Pearson has made so far I'm pleased with. But personally I'd still like a ball winning "hard man" in the centre of the park.

I would agree.

People will argue with you in terms of his age, but Derry could still cut it at this level.

I'm still not sure the midfield looks anywhere near good enough. It just looks too weak, physically.

Another message I agree with you on Col City Fan.

It is clearly far too weak physically. We might do well against teams like Peterborough, but they won't be no pushovers they have signed Bostwick from Stevenage, absolute quality player who I believe could be one of the surprise stars of the Npower Championship season. Yet again he is over 6ft, big presence who is highly rated.

Our midfield will just get destroyed for dust by most teams this season, Drinkwater will struggle and I can honestly see that happening. He started pretty well when he signed, but last few months he played he looked out of sorts, looked far too weak and on an attacking sense seemed to only pass backwards and sideways.

Neil Danns needs major help alongside him this season, and 5ft10 overrated Danny Drinkwater or a past sell by date Richie Wellens when back from injury isn't the answer.

Out of the teams capable of promotion, they have real players who can get stuck in and will help on the defensive side of things.

Birmingham - Mullins

Blackburn - Etuhu and Murphy

Blackpool - Ferguson and Osbourne

Bolton - Andrews and Pratley(Muamba may comeback aswell)

Cba to list anymore because it would be just sad, but out of the teams capable of promotion and who have a similar midfield to us, is probably Cardiff.

We need a defensive midfielder and a strong presence, or we will be fooked this season.

I agree. The midfield to me looks a bit lightweight and I can see us getting out battled and shy away specially when it gets a bit more physical away from home.

Don't get me wrong the signings Pearson has made so far I'm pleased with. But personally I'd still like a ball winning "hard man" in the centre of the park.

I think this is the player we have been missing out on for many seasons now.

MON's teams were built around Neil Lennon, who's only job was to sit off the back four and mop up the loose ball, carry it forward into the opposing half and lay it off to the more creative players (most notably Muzzy and Parker).

He did it beautifully.

We have needed a similar type player to do a similar thing for many seasons IMO.

What we don't want next season is for the defence to be completely exposed time after time by a midfield too lightweight to impose any authority on the game.

You can't do much without the ball, and we need to have more possession next season than we did last.

A ball winning midfielder, snappy in the tackle and strong enough to keep it is imperative I would say.

Etuhu winning it and giving it to Murphy looks to me like a manager who has done his homework.

For me, it's of no surprise that, whomever we played at the back last season, seemed to look shaky as a unit. They were just not supported enough defensively by the midfield players.

MON's teams were built around Neil Lennon, who's only job was to sit off the back four and mop up the loose ball, carry it forward into the opposing half and lay it off to the more creative players (most notably Muzzy and Parker).

He did it beautifully.

We have needed a similar type player to do a similar thing for many seasons IMO.

What we don't want next season is for the defence to be completely exposed time after time by a midfield too lightweight to impose any authority on the game.

You can't do much without the ball, and we need to have more possession next season than we did last.

A ball winning midfielder, snappy in the tackle and strong enough to keep it is imperative I would say.

Etuhu winning it and giving it to Murphy looks to me like a manager who has done his homework.

IMO.

Quality post.

Especially this line...What we don't want next season is for the defence to be completely exposed time after time by a midfield too lightweight to impose any authority on the game.

He did it beautifully.

For me, it's of no surprise that, whomever we played at the back last season, seemed to look shaky as a unit. They were just not supported enough defensively by the midfield players.

Superb post col.

Yeah great post indeed. For all the slagging Steve Kean gets, the decision to sign both Murphy and Etuhu seems a very shrewd one to me. That could be a formidable partnership at this level.

Yep was just thinking that myself going on Col's post.

Steve Kean isn't very good, I think he is deluded and pretty damn rubbish.

But the signings he has made for Blackburn so far this summer, have all been pretty good, if I was a Blackburn fan I would be well happy with them.

Also apart from Murphy and Etuhu, they will have an experienced David Dunn and an up and coming Jason Lowe.

Very very strong.

Yep was just thinking that myself going on Col's post.

Steve Kean isn't very good, I think he is deluded and pretty damn rubbish.

But the signings he has made for Blackburn so far this summer, have all been pretty good, if I was a Blackburn fan I would be well happy with them.

Also apart from Murphy and Etuhu, they will have an experienced David Dunn and an up and coming Jason Lowe.

Very very strong.

Not sure how true it is, but on twitter someone said Jordan Rhodes had a medical at Blackburn on Friday.

Quality post.

Especially this line...What we don't want next season is for the defence to be completely exposed time after time by a midfield too lightweight to impose any authority on the game.

Seems to be Pearson's Achilles heel, despite the number of seasons he has managed in the championship he has never really gone for that type of hard tackling protecting midfielder. He shipped olafinjana out pretty quickly at hull for example. Don't understand it as you can see what teams will do to our central midfield this year - especially when other teams play 433 we will be owned in midfield. Frustrating home form beckons.

And that's another one.

Drinkwater against Etuhu and Murphy in only game three of the season.

Yes despite Kean being a shit manager, those two players will have Drinkwater and Danns pants down.

I agree. I've said for months, even years, we arn't strong enough in midfield. Col mentioned Derry, I'd agree with that. Age and experience is sometimes better in the defensive midfield/holding role, and he would be a great signing. I doubt he'll get much game time this forthcoming season at Queens Park Rangers anyway. You can build teams around a holding man.

I'd say Drinkwater adds more fight than Danns, but even then, is that good enough? I watched too many games last season, and the season before, where opposition teams glided through our midfield. For me, players like King arn't strong enough, they are easily knocked off of the ball, and if funds are required, we could easily sell one/two midfielders to buy an experienced defensive midfielder. When Sheffield United were relegated to League One, I said then we should have gone for Nick Montgomery, and I still think now he would slot into our midfield and be that hardworking, experienced, "spoiler" (if you like).

I mentioned Ethutu earlier in the thread, great signing. Kean has really done his homework this season and that's why I rekon Blackburn will be up at the top end of the division. Ethutu and Murphy in central midfield, at this level, will control most games.

Seems to be Pearson's Achilles heel, despite the number of seasons he has managed in the championship he has never really gone for that type of hard tackling protecting midfielder. He shipped olafinjana out pretty quickly at hull for example. Don't understand it as you can see what teams will do to our central midfield this year - especially when other teams play 433 we will be owned in midfield. Frustrating home form beckons.

He did buy Paul McKenna from Nottingham Forest for Hull though. He is another player that I've always said we should go for. Experienced, will get in the opposition's face and not scared to put a tackle in.

I agree. I've said for months, even years, we arn't strong enough in midfield. Col mentioned Derry, I'd agree with that. Age and experience is sometimes better in the defensive midfield/holding role, and he would be a great signing. I doubt he'll get much game time this forthcoming season at Queens Park Rangers anyway. You can build teams around a holding man.

I'd say Drinkwater adds more fight than Danns, but even then, is that good enough? I watched too many games last season, and the season before, where opposition teams glided through our midfield. For me, players like King arn't strong enough, they are easily knocked off of the ball, and if funds are required, we could easily sell one/two midfielders to buy an experienced defensive midfielder. When Sheffield United were relegated to League One, I said then we should have gone for Nick Montgomery, and I still think now he would slot into our midfield and be that hardworking, experienced, "spoiler" (if you like).

I mentioned Ethutu earlier in the thread, great signing. Kean has really done his homework this season and that's why I rekon Blackburn will be up at the top end of the division. Ethutu and Murphy in central midfield, at this level, will control most games.

He did buy Paul McKenna from Nottingham Forest for Hull though. He is another player that I've always said we should go for. Experienced, will get in the opposition's face and not scared to put a tackle in.

What about Karl Henry from wolves?

Wolves apparently want Savic from man city on loan. Should be quality in

This league

He's alright, needs a bit of meat on the bones and a tactics lesson, mind! City have an 18 year old CB who has been labelled as the next Thiago Silva, he'd be good to get on loan next to someone like Morgan. Hey, its a wish list!!

He's alright, needs a bit of meat on the bones and a tactics lesson, mind! City have an 18 year old CB who has been labelled as the next Thiago Silva, he'd be good to get on loan next to someone like Morgan. Hey, its a wish list!!

Pearson would pick Wes Morgan ahead of Thiago Silva given the choice.

Wolves apparently want Savic from man city on loan. Should be quality in

This league

I've seen Savic play in Europe for Partizan and he isn't as bad as people make out! Just needs time to settle down like Vidic did and he has the potential to be a top centre-half. Would be a cracking signing for Wolves.

On my wishlist would be Srdjan Mijailovic from Red Star Belgrade, a cultured defensive midfielder who is only 18 and already a regular for Red Star and has gained his full cap for Serbia, this lad is destined for the very top.

Funny really. NP has plugged all the gaps we have mentioned bar this one. A quality holding mid. Funny things happen late on. So let's hope NP makes a clean sweep and brings someone in. Unless he's prepping Danns for that role - which I can't see.

I really cant see us bringing anymore CM's in. James will play the holding role i reckon as im told he's played it before at man utd youth level. He'll sit deep and is able to get a foot in and can also distribute the ball very well from from this area. A deep lying holding playmaker if u like.

Archived