Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

On 25/07/2016 at 10:13, Babylon said:

I thought it would have been better to stretch the end goal of taking out Evil corp over several series. Then pad out each episode with a few more side mission type things, like the first episode where he got the coffee shop owner. Felt like they took out Evil corp a bit too quickly.

Also, what a stupid name Evil Corp... thought it was E corp and they were using Evil corp as a nickaname to start with.

On 27/07/2016 at 10:38, nothin2seehere said:

They were :)

I watched the first series of Mr Robot and just about put up with it. I've started series 2 and I'm struggling to find a reason to carry on. It's really slow. I'm hopeful it'll get better because I get the feeling it's one of those shows that needs to be watched.

On 27/07/2016 at 10:42, Babylon said:

That's what I thought, then so many people seemed to reference it as that (some not related to fsociety) I started to think that was the actual name.

Just started watching it today and the main dude explains how his mind automatically replace E Corp with Evil Corp and since the whole show's from his pov (at least it is so far where I'm up to) whenever you see people say it it's just his brain doing backflips.

• Like 1

Guardian article on TV comedies that are enormously popular despite exasperating critics:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/aug/25/critic-proof-tv-from-mrs-browns-boys-to-the-big-bang-theory

The only one of those featured that I can sit through (just) is Miranda, and I know how popular that is with folk on here.

In fairness, I know fans of all these programmes, and I suspect the writers of this stuff may not consider it high art but know EXACTLY what they're doing.

EDIT:  Baywatch is not strictly speaking a comedy

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

Well add Bloodline to a long line of critically acclaimed series I find dull, got to episode 4 gave up.

Next up Stranger things.

So far I can only think of Leftovers (especially season 2), Breaking Bad and Fargo that I've enjoyed since Lost finished.

Edited by purpleronnie

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Guardian article on TV comedies that are enormously popular despite exasperating critics:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/aug/25/critic-proof-tv-from-mrs-browns-boys-to-the-big-bang-theory

The only one of those featured that I can sit through (just) is Miranda, and I know how popular that is with folk on here.

In fairness, I know fans of all these programmes, and I suspect the writers of this stuff may not consider it high art but know EXACTLY what they're doing.

EDIT:  Baywatch is not strictly speaking a comedy

Citizen Khan has to be the worst ever show put together.

5 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Well add Bloodline to a long line of critically acclaimed series I find dull, got to episode 4 gave up.

Next up Stranger things.

So far I can only think of Leftovers (especially season 2), and Fargo that I've enjoyed in the last few years.

I watch so little effort to watch telly sometimes critical acclaim actually puts me off, somewhat perversely.  If something's a 'must see' I seem even less likely to get round to watching it.

Naturally, when I do I often wonder why I didn't before

48 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Next up Stranger things.

So far I can only think of Leftovers (especially season 2), Breaking Bad and Fargo that I've enjoyed since Lost finished.

Have you watched any of Netflix's Marvel properties?  Daredevil & Jessica Jones are the shit, not sure if they've got around to releasing Luke Cage or the Punisher yet because I've been out of the TV show loop for a while but I can imagine they'll be wholly worth the time investment too.  Also check out Mr Robot - I'd been avoiding it until recently because how could a serious drama about hackers possibly be decent?  As it turns out by giving you an artily shot series (and I don't just mean the imposing 80's style opening titles) with an almost noir approach to storytelling and throwing in the curveball of serious discussions about social integration, loneliness, depression and the search for control over one's life.  Then again I've only seen the first 4 episodes so there's every chance it will run out of good dialogue at the rate they're getting through it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Have you watched any of Netflix's Marvel properties?  Daredevil & Jessica Jones are the shit, not sure if they've got around to releasing Luke Cage or the Punisher yet because I've been out of the TV show loop for a while but I can imagine they'll be wholly worth the time investment too.  Also check out Mr Robot - I'd been avoiding it until recently because how could a serious drama about hackers possibly be decent?  As it turns out by giving you an artily shot series (and I don't just mean the imposing 80's style opening titles) with an almost noir approach to storytelling and throwing in the curveball of serious discussions about social integration, loneliness, depression and the search for control over one's life.  Then again I've only seen the first 4 episodes so there's every chance it will run out of good dialogue at the rate they're getting through it.

Thanks but just the word marvel or comic will send me to sleep, not my thing at all.  Mr Robot holds no interest either.

I usually need lots of twists and turns and a certain amount of weird stuff happening to hold my interest.

On 23/08/2016 at 12:48, foxy boxing said:

really loving wentworth a great prison drama and a fantastic actress danielle cormack who was also really good in xena: warrior princess

Great show Wentworth 

Surprised by final episode of series and character leaving 

6 hours ago, Webbo said:

Nobody likes Citizen Khan, it would have been dated back in the 70s.

People do though, that's the point, inexplicable as it may seem, it's enormously popular.

It's weird, because that character originated in Bellamy's People (Down the Line, when it was on the radio), which featured Paul Whitehouse, Simon Day, Rhys Thomas amongst others, and it was rather more, I dunno, alternative or whatever, and oddly enough, a lot funnier (in my view, anyway).  He then takes it downmarket, and hey presto - BBC primetime 

15 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Thanks but just the word marvel or comic will send me to sleep, not my thing at all.  Mr Robot holds no interest either.

I usually need lots of twists and turns and a certain amount of weird stuff happening to hold my interest.

Mr Robot is pretty bloody weird and has twists. Give the first episode a shot.

Half way through watching The Jinx, has anybody else seen it? I was told it was better than Making a Murderer, so far it's probably about level. In terms of what the jinx tells us that we don't already know (never before seen stuff) I'd say it was better. The idea of doing the interview with Bob Durst, sort of narrating the show is very good. 

He's possibly the most obviously psychotic man I've ever come across, but the fact that he isn't even really pleading his innocence just makes it 10x more chilling. Great watch so far, HBO really do make some awesome stuff. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2016 at 12:52, Manini said:

Half way through watching The Jinx, has anybody else seen it? I was told it was better than Making a Murderer, so far it's probably about level. In terms of what the jinx tells us that we don't already know (never before seen stuff) I'd say it was better. The idea of doing the interview with Bob Durst, sort of narrating the show is very good. 

He's possibly the most obviously psychotic man I've ever come across, but the fact that he isn't even really pleading his innocence just makes it 10x more chilling. Great watch so far, HBO really do make some awesome stuff. 

Blitzed this yesterday.  Compulsive viewing.  Really enjoyed it.  Durst is obviously a complete psychopath but I like him.  Might be a bit dangerous knowing him though.

He really needs to get out of the habit of talking to himself & possibly the worst ever murder investigation carried out by the Beverley Hills Police Dept

57 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

Blitzed this yesterday.  Compulsive viewing.  Really enjoyed it.  Durst is obviously a complete psychopath but I like him.  Might be a bit dangerous knowing him though.

He really needs to get out of the habit of talking to himself & possibly the worst ever murder investigation carried out by the Beverley Hills Police Dept

Everybody I've spoken to about it said they liked him too. He's just a simple guy isn't he, you could tell he was never bothered about all the money that was in his family. I suppose watching/hearing his mother killing herself and having a strained relationship with the rest of his family didn't help his mental state though. I read that he used to have 7 malamute dogs and his brother is adamant that he killed and disposed of the dogs bodies in practise for killing his Mrs. Absolute nut job. 

I also read yesterday that the show led to his re-arrest (obviously, they couldn't not arrest him after that) which I guess proves how powerful these documentaries can be, and it sounds like MAM did the same for Brendan Dassy. I've never seen anything like that ending, the final episode was just unbelievable, fascinating viewing. 

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Everybody I've spoken to about it said they liked him too. He's just a simple guy isn't he, you could tell he was never bothered about all the money that was in his family. I suppose watching/hearing his mother killing herself and having a strained relationship with the rest of his family didn't help his mental state though. I read that he used to have 7 malamute dogs and his brother is adamant that he killed and disposed of the dogs bodies in practise for killing his Mrs. Absolute nut job. 

I also read yesterday that the show led to his re-arrest (obviously, they couldn't not arrest him after that) which I guess proves how powerful these documentaries can be, and it sounds like MAM did the same for Brendan Dassy. I've never seen anything like that ending, the final episode was just unbelievable, fascinating viewing. 

I'm tempted to watch the film 'All Good Things' but it looks a bit shit & the reviews aren't too good.

The last episode was was great    *burp*

• Like 1