Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The Newsroom is a drama about TV news studio who get fed up of the partisan hyperbole and opinion pieces on all major news networks and commit to doing the news "properly." It's a bit preachy in places and it's also unusual in that it's sort of 50% serious, realistic political drama and 50% almost soapy, easy watching, human drama like something like House, Suits or Scrubs. I know that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement but it just works. It's 25 episodes and it's extremely, extremely relevant atm with everything that's going on in America. 

As a WW and Studio 60 fan, the Newsroom had me squealing with delight when it came out. It is a sensational show. The opening scene is the stuff of legend, and one hell of a way to hook you in, especially as establishing episodes in US shows can be a bit "meh" (though this is Sorkin we're talking about)

Not an enormous fan of season three, but seasons one and two (two's arching storyline is just sensational, especially when it reaches its apex) are brilliant. I could probably go on for days about key bits from the show I love. The way they manage to write it so you're just as invested in their personal life as you are with the Newsroom-y stuff I am a big fan of.

Gah, honestly, reading this made me flow with love for it and want to watch it again.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Rick Stein’s German bite.

Watching Rick travel through Germany sampling the cuisine of his ancestors.

Ive mentioned before I love Rick Stein’s style of presenting, he’s one chef I enjoy watching and having been to Berlin and Munich I’m interested to see what he thinks of German cuisine.

What is this on? I like Rick Stein he is living the dream and seems genuine in his shows.

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 3

So they’ve remade The Stand, one of my favourite books and a mini series they made in the 90’s that I really enjoyed as well, so basically something I was really looking forward to and it turns up on a streaming service called Starzplay. Guess I’ll wait until it’s released on a Blu-ray now. Just how many different streaming services are out there?

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Iplayer. Agreed he always comes across as totally genuine, never pretentious and a good guy.

There are a few of his shows on Iplayer

Been watching his Cornwall show this week and I’ve found him quite irritating in that 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Just binged all of Night Stalker on Netflix. Bloody hell it's horrific. 

I presume this is Richard Ramirez? Might give this a watch as i read about this fella years ago. A proper random nut bag if I remember. Didn't he wear an AC/DC cap or something, don't know why I remember that 

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Just read up on it, unnecessary use of crime scene pics etc, would you recommend it? 

It's very graphic, too graphic? No more than a lot of true crime things I've watched. There are lots of crime scene photos but the faces are mainly covered. There are parts that go in to detail about his abduction and sexual assaults of young children; very, very uncomfortable watching so be warned on that front.

I'd recommend it if stuff like this fascinates you and you're not too sensitive to it. If you are I would not recommend at all. 

1 hour ago, Soup said:

I presume this is Richard Ramirez? Might give this a watch as i read about this fella years ago. A proper random nut bag if I remember. Didn't he wear an AC/DC cap or something, don't know why I remember that 

It is and he did. I am 'in to' serial killers in that I find the whole thing fascinating but I'd never come across this guy somehow, and I can't think of any worse in terms of what someone did to other people. Horrific. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Rick Stein’s German bite.

Watching Rick travel through Germany sampling the cuisine of his ancestors.

Ive mentioned before I love Rick Stein’s style of presenting, he’s one chef I enjoy watching and having been to Berlin and Munich I’m interested to see what he thinks of German cuisine.

I like him, find him genuine, though for a well Travelled Chef, sometimes a tad naive, also doesn't tend to question the so called Original labeling...

But over all these years , I love his alround style und originality in the Top 3 imo.

Like many chefs..Too much oil & Too much salt...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

It's very graphic, too graphic? No more than a lot of true crime things I've watched. There are lots of crime scene photos but the faces are mainly covered. There are parts that go in to detail about his abduction and sexual assaults of young children; very, very uncomfortable watching so be warned on that front.

I'd recommend it if stuff like this fascinates you and you're not too sensitive to it. If you are I would not recommend at all. 

It is and he did. I am 'in to' serial killers in that I find the whole thing fascinating but I'd never come across this guy somehow, and I can't think of any worse in terms of what someone did to other people. Horrific. 

Has their been something on TV about this bloke before do you know? I recognise his name, but I haven't seen this so will be watching tonight, thanks 

22 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I'm currently working my way back through Gavin and Stacey. 

I know James Corden is unbearable for many but this show is brilliant. I just love all the characters and the simplicity of it.

Easy to binge. 

Yeah I love this, I've watched it a few times now. Before JC became an insufferable twat imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

I like him, find him genuine, though for a well Travelled Chef, sometimes a tad naive, also doesn't tend to question the so called Original labeling...

But over all these years , I love his alround style und originality in the Top 3 imo.

Like many chefs..Too much oil & Too much salt...

I think his naivety adds to his charm, very well travelled but doesn’t know everything.

definitely likes his salt lol 

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Yeah shocking stuff but as you say it's strangely fascinating. I went through a stage of reading up on most of the infamous American serial killers. The stories really are stranger than fiction. John Wayne Gacey for example, how the hell can anyone pretend to carry on a normal life with 30 odd bodies in the basement. Just bonkers. 

6 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I think his naivety adds to his charm, very well travelled but doesn’t know everything.

definitely likes his salt lol 

One Thing I would like to add....A really nice guy &  for a chef, Not Pretentious or above himself..

Met him, better said bumped into him, just around the corner from his Cornwall restaurant..At The Time we didn t know who he was..

I was introducing my Girlfriend ( Now my wife) to Fresh Off the boat, Shell dishes Served from a small hut....doing The obvious prawns,welks,cockles,mussels,Dressed crab etc....prepared Served from Wife & brother of One of the fisherman...Who had brought in their faire

at 6:00 am...We were there about 9:30..to Watch later Boats Coming in Selling their various Catch to Local regional Restaurants & London buyers.

Some would go into a prepared lorry Boxed ice,then to the train station,still quite a curvy long Drive away..

Has we were meanderung around, literally  Bumped into him...( about da 32 Yrs ago now)...After exchanging the pardons,  he have is a Short Brief what he was doing there, and about the fish caught the last 24hrs,what he was looking for...

He then told us, he works at a Restaurant around the quay corner...and if we would like he could Reserve a table at his best Friends fish restaurant.

We told him unfortunately we had booked Another Restaurant between the villages....

He pretended to be miffed & shocked,then Smiles and wrote on a piece Of note paper...saying they ( this other restaurant) should Take Care of us, and put a Bottle of best white wine on his bill...

asked us Not to Read it, until we arrived at the restaurant....It wasnt until then, After the manager came out und told us who he was....

an up & Coming new chef who had also started doing TV-Chef appearances...(even then he was already well known on the Gourmet circuit)..

Something even nicer...2-3 months later, we were going into a London Indian restaurant, being taken to our table,

someone tapped me on the shoulder, and said I recomend the 2nd fish-curry on the menu..!! It was Rick Stein..!! 

We exchanged niceties for 5 minutes, we also told him..4 days After our First meeting, we went

to his " Best friend's" restaurant...unfortunately his "best friend" wasnt there that night...We both touched our nose with our Finger & winked, Leaving each others company with a Chuckle & handshake...

My girlfriend hadnt yet clicked, it was his restaurant and he himself was the  best friend...!!!

charming & Really nice guy...at least on those 2times  individual 15 & 5minute+ encounters...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

Strangely obsessed with Married At First Sight Australia at the moment.

Really annoying that the trailers E4 are showing are for things that are happening 2 or 3 shows later in the run.

Edited by oakman