Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

13 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

One Thing I would like to add....A really nice guy &  for a chef, Not Pretentious or above himself..

Met him, better said bumped into him, just around the corner from his Cornwall restaurant..At The Time we didn t know who he was..

I was introducing my Girlfriend ( Now my wife) to Fresh Off the boat, Shell dishes Served from a small hut....doing The obvious prawns,welks,cockles,mussels,Dressed crab etc....prepared Served from Wife & brother of One of the fisherman...Who had brought in their faire

at 6:00 am...We were there about 9:30..to Watch later Boats Coming in Selling their various Catch to Local regional Restaurants & London buyers.

Some would go into a prepared lorry Boxed ice,then to the train station,still quite a curvy long Drive away..

Has we were meanderung around, literally  Bumped into him...( about da 32 Yrs ago now)...After exchanging the pardons,  he have is a Short Brief what he was doing there, and about the fish caught the last 24hrs,what he was looking for...

He then told us, he works at a Restaurant around the quay corner...and if we would like he could Reserve a table at his best Friends fish restaurant.

We told him unfortunately we had booked Another Restaurant between the villages....

He pretended to be miffed & shocked,then Smiles and wrote on a piece Of note paper...saying they ( this other restaurant) should Take Care of us, and put a Bottle of best white wine on his bill...

asked us Not to Read it, until we arrived at the restaurant....It wasnt until then, After the manager came out und told us who he was....

an up & Coming new chef who had also started doing TV-Chef appearances...(even then he was already well known on the Gourmet circuit)..

Something even nicer...2-3 months later, we were going into a London Indian restaurant, being taken to our table,

someone tapped me on the shoulder, and said I recomend the 2nd fish-curry on the menu..!! It was Rick Stein..!! 

We exchanged niceties for 5 minutes, we also told him..4 days After our First meeting, we went

to his " Best friend's" restaurant...unfortunately his "best friend" wasnt there that night...We both touched our nose with our Finger & winked, Leaving each others company with a Chuckle & handshake...

My girlfriend hadnt yet clicked, it was his restaurant and he himself was the  best friend...!!!

charming & Really nice guy...at least on those 2times  individual 15 & 5minute+ encounters...

Wow, great memories for you there, enjoyed reading them 👍🏼

8 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Is The Serpent worth a go? 

I'm being drawn in by the fact it's based on a true story, Jenna Coleman and that it's set in Thailand/Asia.

Is that enough? 

Well worth watching and very well acted

And if you don’t agree you can just enjoy watching Jenna Coleman 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Tried watching the very first episode of The Wire last night off the back of recommendations on here and elsewhere 

Only managed 40 minutes as I really struggled to follow the dialogue 

I’m obviously not as “street” as I thought I was ! 

I tried it a while back and wasn't sure what was going on either lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Tried watching the very first episode of The Wire last night off the back of recommendations on here and elsewhere 

Yeah I watched the first episode with the Mrs a while back and felt I needed subtitles. And was a struggle to get through. 

I wanted to stick with it because of how good everyone says it is but Mrs wasn't having it. Difficult to watch something with so many episodes unless we both watch it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I try and speak like I'm from Baltimore with the missus. She doesn't see the funny side. For real! 

• Like 1

I'll admit I didn't like The Wire at first and didn't think I'd continue with it after the first couple of episodes but it's absolutely worth it, some of the best tv you'll ever see, hard to put it into words you just have to experience it. You won't regret it.

On 18/12/2020 at 14:46, Footballwipe said:

Opening episodes are fantastic. Fresh concept, the introductory scenes are great.

It does ponder a bit as the seasons progress, but by no means a bad watch.

I’ve got to Episode 8 Series 2. Very watchable and Kiefer Sutherland does these things very well. It’s a little predictable but nonetheless still enjoyable.

5 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I thought it was absolute dogshit 

Cliched, corny and overall very disappointing as I was a big fan of 24 

Binned it off after a few episodes 

Yeah I gave it up as well after 10 episodes or so, the plot is ludicrous and 20 + episodes a series is too much.

On 15/01/2021 at 12:59, Stuntman_Mike said:

Is The Serpent worth a go? 

I'm being drawn in by the fact it's based on a true story, Jenna Coleman and that it's set in Thailand/Asia.

Is that enough? 

Its brilliant. 

Watch it and remember  it's based on a true story..

55 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Yeah I gave it up as well after 10 episodes or so, the plot is ludicrous and 20 + episodes a series is too much.

Same, I couldn’t believe how bad it was.

Kiefer Sutherland’s character is probably the most 2 dimensional one I can remember in a programme with pretensions to be taken seriously. No depth or hint he’s capable of wrong doing whatsoever.

The FBI agent running around in her preposterously tight top in every scene she’s in is all well and good but too ridiculous to take her character seriously.

But worst of all is the absolutely shameless product placement. There’s an episode where they get a takeaway pizza and then spend about 30 seconds explaining where in DC this pizza restaurant is and how great it is but the absolute nadir is the product placement for some sort of Ford autopilot in what is supposed to be a tense scene. I’ll see if I can find it because you’ve got to see it to believe it. I can’t believe I made it all the way through the first series.

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Same, I couldn’t believe how bad it was.

Kiefer Sutherland’s character is probably the most 2 dimensional one I can remember in a programme with pretensions to be taken seriously. No depth or hint he’s capable of wrong doing whatsoever.

The FBI agent running around in her preposterously tight top in every scene she’s in is all well and good but too ridiculous to take her character seriously.

But worst of all is the absolutely shameless product placement. There’s an episode where they get a takeaway pizza and then spend about 30 seconds explaining where in DC this pizza restaurant is and how great it is but the absolute nadir is the product placement for some sort of Ford autopilot in what is supposed to be a tense scene. I’ll see if I can find it because you’ve got to see it to believe it. I can’t believe I made it all the way through the first series.

Was it Comet Ping Pong ? 

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I thought it was absolute dogshit 

Cliched, corny and overall very disappointing as I was a big fan of 24 

Binned it off after a few episodes 

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

TBH it did start to disappoint somewhat about halfway through and the ending was quite corny but mostly season one was a decent watch. Just checked on IMDB and it seems ABC network ditched it after poor ratings. Netflix took it up but they too have now cancelled all future episodes