Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

Dads Army on at the moment, it really was a great show, well written and a fantastic cast, Arthur Lowe played his role beautifully as did the others including John Le Mesurier whose Sgt Wilson character was probably my favourite.

Great nostalgia 

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

I've just watched HBO's Class Action Park, a documentary about a long closed down theme park in New Jersey where, shall we say, health and safety was not of primary concern.  Think a theme park run by the mayor out of Jaws, where hundreds of severe injuries and more actual deaths than would ordinarily be considered acceptable are absolutely NOT going to stop folk having a great time

On 09/12/2020 at 18:42, The Bear said:

I really enjoyed Queen's Gambit but the ending was a bit disappointing. 

Reveal hidden contents

She has this big match with the Russian, but we don't really see any of it other than the commentary, which is fine to start with. But the very end of the game she moves one piece one square to the left and he suddenly resigns with a big smile on his face and seems really happy about it? And there's no commentary to tell you what's just happened.

The Russian public seemingly love her instead of rooting for their own player, even though in that era they probably still distrusted Americans after the Cold War and Cuban Missile Crisis - Though my history isn't great on this subject I'm assuming that since her government guy warns her about leaving the hotel alone. 

Then she deliberately misses her flight home to go play in the park with the Russian geezers? And her chaperone guy from the government just drives off and leaves her? 

Was all a bit weird.

Sorry to resurrect this one, but I've just finished it myself.

I agree that the ending of the final game with Borgov could have been better narrated, but I really didn't have a problem with any of the other stuff mentioned. I think the overall message was that though the US and USSR governments distrusted and made up and believed lies about each other, their

people, for the most part, didn't - not really. And as such, they appreciated Harmon and her skill, despite the fact it was their countrymen she was beating.

The idea has been portrayed before - simply that people on the other side of the world to each other often have more in common than they do with their respective governments - particularly one that might not be answerable to the people it governs, as the Soviet government at the time was not.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Bear said:

I love Still Game. Found it whilst browsing around iPlayer once and was hooked. Its all on Netflix too. 

Still Game is absolute class. One of those TV shows I can sit down and watch at any time. 

I've seen every episode countless times but will often chuck it on if I need something easy to fall asleep too. Like revisiting old friends whenever I watch it. 

Would recommend anyone who hadn't seen them all, to get on it 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

Watched the first episode of The Serpent on BBC and enjoyed it, great locations and like the retro feel. 10 episodes feels a bit too much though.

Just about to start now the footy has finished ...   seems to have good reviews all round  ...      :thumbup:

Reports that Jodie Whittaker has quit Doctor Who, a bit of surprise and once again we getting another short lived Doctor. He would be interesting to actually see somebody be in the role for a long term rather than use the show as a stepping stone to break into the america market. The only thing I can sympthaise with her is since she signed on there's only be like one full series the rest just gaps with the occasional special. I have admit I have kind of falling out of love with Dr Who for quite some time... I just find it a little to PC and all about ticking the boxes rather than just going creating a good show.

• Like 1

Anyone into true crime documentaries, I recommend "Murder on Middle Beach". 

A four-part documentary six-years in the making by a guy who set out trying to investigate the events surrounding his mother's unsolved murder. He ends up learning a lot about his parents' secret lives and you meet lot of his family, one or more of which were probably involved somehow, and most of them are seriously damaged characters.

It's part investigation, part deep-dive into the grief process and I found it really compelling.