Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

Roll on Season 7. Been going down hill for a while but like a team on a downward trajectory you keep hoping they'll turn it around. Actually thought this season had been an improvement on recent seasons but tonight's episode felt like they just couldn't be arsed. Weird ending. 

• Like 1

I thought it was more authentic than a sensationalised TV show ending. Evil lurks in bad individuals sure, but also in corrupt systems (which is largely what this show is about IMO). That the person they were looking for disguised his corruption by appearing incompetent is pretty clever, and very real.

It may have been anticlimactic, but there is still a whiff that it goes higher…

• Like 2

I was underwhelmed too but some reasoned views that the ending was a subtle dig at a corrupt society we live in. One that doesn't do neat endings and where liars and bullshitters prosper. Quite apt if so.

The ending of The Sopranos was horrible for 24 hours but actually the most genius ending ever upon later reflection. Whilst I don't think that's quite the case here, second opinion may be more favourable. Not that LOD was ever in the same ball park as The Sopranos.

Edited by sdb
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Paddy. said:

I actually thought it was a decent ending lol Just me then.

Same here actually. TV Series are incredibly hard to resolve. I struggle to think one ending which finished well (says a lot that Breaking Bad is probably the best of the lot). 

The conclusion was a significant dig at the avalanche of police enquiries which take place in this country without any actual punishment. A lot of the core material in Lod is actual police cases - we had the Stephen Lawrence case brought up in this series which the effects of still rumble on now to the point we had a enquiry about institutional racism and it denied there being any, 20 years on for the original enquiry. 

Hastings £100k stash was an evident point about how what can be viewed as morally good can be taken as corruption. 

Anyway, yeah it was average but I could see what the writer was trying to do 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Yes that was a bit odd, unless he makes an appearance in a later series…

Apparently a few years back he made some comment in an interview about how he wanted to be in Line of Duty because he’s in every series of that type/genre. So this was their way of having fun with that 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Same here actually. TV Series are incredibly hard to resolve. I struggle to think one ending which finished well (says a lot that Breaking Bad is probably the best of the lot). 

The conclusion was a significant dig at the avalanche of police enquiries which take place in this country without any actual punishment. A lot of the core material in Lod is actual police cases - we had the Stephen Lawrence case brought up in this series which the effects of still rumble on now to the point we had a enquiry about institutional racism and it denied there being any, 20 years on for the original enquiry. 

Hastings £100k stash was an evident point about how what can be viewed as morally good can be taken as corruption. 

Anyway, yeah it was average but I could see what the writer was trying to do 

That's how I saw it too. Real world investigations into police corruption almost always end being completely unsatisfactory and that was the point the producers tried to make (as you said yourself). I thought the reference to the Stephen Lawrence case was very poignant.

It wasn't great. The white van decoy thing was a bit tame and the touchy-feely bits between Steve and Kate were cringey but otherwise I thought it was okay.

I thought the bit at the end whereby Hastings confessed, thus passing the moral burden onto Carmichael was actually really clever. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Lost and Game Of Thrones really did set the standard for ending shows absolutely horribly tbf 

GOT made everyone invest 10 years of their lives so that was honking 

Don’t forget The Borgias where they just decided not to bother with an ending.

54 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding given I’m a Johnny-come-lately to LOD, but my interpretation of it was that it turned out the man they were looking for, the elusive H, turned out not to be the criminal mastermind they thought he was at all, but instead, simply a bent copper, able to hide partly because people (rightly) dismissed him as a mastermind and partly because his superiors didn’t want to countenance dealing with the situation. The only one who thought Buckles was smart was Buckles himself; the real brains were in the OCGs and they just kept him safe because he’d give them info on whatever they wanted. I thought it was a nice twist, and demonstrated the viewing audience falling into the exact same logical trap that AC-12 fell into - that H had to be a genius.

Although I appreciate that avid viewers probably would have wanted a more all-action finish.

I think your mostly right, but there is also the point that there must be somebody in the positions of power in the police involved who is allowing a seemingly incompetent police officer like Buckells to rise through the ranks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Lost and Game Of Thrones really did set the standard for ending shows absolutely horribly tbf 

GOT made everyone invest 10 years of their lives so that was honking 

100%, although I feel like I’m the only person who didn’t actually mind the ending of lost lol 

If they'd have just spent a bit longer thinking about how it worked, it would have been better. The van swap was weird - one minute they're away from it, the next they're all hiding in the van itself and doing an ambush. Too many red herrings and stuff that went nowhere - Fairbanks interviewed twice, Steve's painkillers, his relationship with the scouse woman. The two big problems for me though, over the whole series -

- Ryan was a little fucher of a character but he didn't deserve to die offscreen, after getting into a potential shoot out. They needed to bring him in and allow him that interview scene he deserved. 
- If it was going to be Buckles all along, then set it up better. I can believe that incompetent people fail upwards and that he just turned a blind eye, but they spent far too long making him seem incompetent without build up. He wasn't even in the last episode. 

Idea was good, execution was awful. 

• Like 1