Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BstarFox

Charlton Post-match

Ahhh here we go, I knew it wouldn't be long until the oppo were given credit for any of our good play.

To be fair we did up the tempo and play much better after the break, but Charlton were sitting back.

The two aren't mutually exclusive Babs.. Lose the ball in midfield you are going to put the defence on the back foot. This will expose any defensive weaknesses you have.

I'm firmly convinced that the pairing of Walsh and Elliott ( both you would admit slow defenders?) were not exposed as much as they could be, defensively, because Lennon was playing directly in front of them. Attacks were broken up by him so many times before the centre backs even had to defend.

Anyway, as I said I was just pulling your leg. We'll have to agree to differ mi ode.

Not exactly, Lennon, Savage and Izzet were playing directly in front of them, all played their part...... :thumbup:

Three men in central midfield, now there's an idea....... :P

To be fair we did up the tempo and play much better after the break, but Charlton were sitting back.

Not exactly, Lennon, Savage and Izzet were playing directly in front of them, all played their part...... :thumbup:

Three men in central midfield, now there's an idea....... :P

And the fact we had 3 centre backs helped.

I know I'm just confused. One minute it's the lack of a DM, then it's Morgans pace. Someone more cynical than myself would think you were just highlighting areas you have mentioned previously in an attempt to validate your point... even though they had little to do with us losing by the sound of things last night.

Nothing to be confused about. The lack of a midfield put there to support the back four will expose a defenders lack of pace because that defender will be subjected to more pressure by the attacking side. Like we were for most of last season when we played away from home, thus neccessitating umpteen changes to the centre back pairings, none of which seemed to make a difference.

If James is good enough, defensively, to stop this from being so much of a problem then happy days!

:thumbup:

I note that we are still so far from being mathematically safe that it is probably a now or never situation for the club's owners. I bet they make a decision on replacing Pearson within 24 hours - to procrastinate any further will only leave us in the drop zone seeing as we are only two points above it.

Panic time is now, ladies and gentlemen.

I don't wish to appear rude but as you didn't watch or see last nights performance it is quite difficult for you to pass comment on why we conceded goals. At no stage were we overrun in midfield, at no stage were players running through unopposed at out back line. We were undone because we have had to field an inexperienced RB at CB and we failed to deal with a simple throw in.

Quite right Mike. I wasn't.. I'm talking about what I believe is a more generic problem when we play away from home.

Some much crap being spouted here it's unreal.

Our defeat had nothing to do with either playing 4-4-2, being overrun, or the ghost of Wellens in the stands

It had to do with failing to deal with aerial balls, and, having inevitably lost the header, subsequently allowed Charlton to pick up 2nd and 3rd balls. This was literally their only form of attack, when did a Charlton midfielder ever get a run on our centre backs, when did a Charlton wide man ever get beyond a full back to deliver a cross? We simply couldn't cope with the bullying their front men gave us.

Whether certain personell would have helped in that regard, that is open for debate. Certainly King, as well as his effectiveness going forward, also took up better positions defensively 2nd half, allowing us to contest the 2nd balls which were previously being mopped up with impunity by Charlton. It's not as if they stopped lumping it to Kermorgant and BWP in the 2nd half.

Cracking result and make no mistake Leicester are a very good team who will win a lot of games this year.

Their pace and passing was very good but first half we dealt with and created the better chances. We deservedly went in 2 - 0 from a very good BWP finish although Schmichael was out of position. Kermo seemed rather pleased with his goal for some reason but it was no more than our pressure warranted.

2nd half Pearson realised the long ball to exploit the pace of Vardy and Beckford wasn't actually getting them anywhere, changed the team and King started to run the show. We got a battering but we stood up to it. It took some fantastic and sometime desperate defending but Hamer did what he had to with out having too many crucial saves to make.

This guy doesn't seem to know much about his pre Charlton days.

Some much crap being spouted here it's unreal.

Our defeat had nothing to do with either playing 4-4-2, being overrun, or the ghost of Wellens in the stands

It had to do with failing to deal with aerial balls, and, having inevitably lost the header, subsequently allowed Charlton to pick up 2nd and 3rd balls. This was literally their only form of attack, when did a Charlton midfielder ever get a run on our centre backs, when did a Charlton wide man ever get beyond a full back to deliver a cross? We simply couldn't cope with the bullying their front men gave us.

Whether certain personell would have helped in that regard, that is open for debate. Certainly King, as well as his effectiveness going forward, also took up better positions defensively 2nd half, allowing us to contest the 2nd balls which were previously being mopped up with impunity by Charlton. It's not as if they stopped lumping it to Kermorgant and BWP in the 2nd half.

'Mopping up 2nd and 3rd balls'......

Hallelujah.....

The penny has hopefully finally dropped.

And it took King, in the second half, to do this because he took up a 'defensive position'...

I rest my case mi lud....

And the fact we had 3 centre backs helped.

Certainly did, but as we really only have one at the moment, I don't think that is an option...... :P

You play the best system you can for the players you have, under MON it was 3-5-2, in the main.

We play 4-4-2 and I maintain that system is not suited to the players we have, which is of course my point..... :thumbup:

I think I will have to stay off this site from now on if we draw or lose, I end up sitting at work wanting to cave my own face in with a rock!

Do not enjoy the tactical lessons we receive from the experts?

I am sure Pearson and his staff have never considered anything as forward thinking as a DM or a 3 man midfield and it is shame he probably doesn't read these boards to gain a little tactical insight. Oh well.

'Mopping up 2nd and 3rd balls'......

Hallelujah.....

The penny has hopefully finally dropped.

And it took King, in the second half, to do this because he took up a 'defensive position'...

I rest my case mi lud....

Doesn't necessarily mean we need some big brute as a stopper as per your other argument (indeed, why can't King therefore do it?). I answered in the other thread that by no means were we overrun in midfield (which is what you were suggesting) and Charlton never put any attacks together where midfield players were able to dictate in pockets of space in front of the defence (where a "spoiler" might traditionally operate). Indeed we were the ones doing the "over-running" in the 2nd half.

The shortcomings yesterday stemmed initially from the defence not doing (or being able to do) their jobs properly but yes, we were 2nd to every loose ball which followed. Can't believe we didn't try and stick a player in front of Kermorgant at goal kicks etc.

I'll wait a few more games before coming to some more concrete judgements, but most teams won't have a guy as good in the air as Kermorgant (won absolutely everything and yes, he is "decent") so we'll see how it plays out a) against teams who adopt a slightly different style and b) When Whitbread starts playing.

Like Martyn says far too much over analysis going on over this game. We didn't lose because we played 4-4-2 or that because we don't have our own Makelele. We lost because individuals in defence, midfield and attack made basic mistakes.

Play that game again 9 time out of 10 and we win. Probably at a breeze!

Why people feel the need to spend hours fixing something which isn't broken I'll never know.

Like FleckneyMike mentioned earlier on in the thread, IF we can reproduce that display more often that not this season we'll be right up there.

So no more of this 4-4-2 doesn't fit our side or we need a DM bollocks. Lets just see how it pans out over the next 10 games or so.

Like Martyn says far too much over analysis going on over this game. We didn't lose because we played 4-4-2 or that because we don't have our own Makelele. We lost because individuals in defence, midfield and attack made basic mistakes.

Play that game again 9 time out of 10 and we win. Probably at a breeze!

Why people feel the need to spend hours fixing something which isn't broken I'll never know.

Like FleckneyMike mentioned earlier on in the thread, IF we can reproduce that display more often that not this season we'll be right up there.

So no more of this 4-4-2 doesn't fit our side or we need a DM bollocks. Lets just see how it pans out over the next 10 games or so.

I wasn't there yesterday but the general consensus from people who went appears to be that we played well - just couldn't put our changes away. It was encouraging how many changes we made, and listening on the radio I felt we could score at any point. Some days they go in, some days they ricochet off of vardy's arse and go in, sometimes they don't. Better times ahead people!

At least we're making chances, they just need bagging, and it's refreshing to have options all over the field (bar defence at the minute). We need to start coming out the blocks quicker though, giving the other side a 45 minute headstart is never wise, is it?

There are positives mind, and a huge one is that King is starting to look like King again, doing what he does best. If he even begins to recapture his goalscoring form a few seasons back it'll feel like a new signing after a dismal campaign last time out.

Still at least Nige has his own players now and has had a summer break to work with them

Yes he has. That doesn't mean he's not going to lose a game.

We'll see how we respond at Blackburn. Hopefully you won't be here because we'll have won.

We were unlucky last night, we played the better football and will learn that we need to take our chances.

De Laet looked quality on the ball, never going to be beaten for pace and he can head it. Only change I wouldn't change much for Saturday, we definatly deserved a point.

Archived