Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Walsh5

New Striker

:worship:

To Mark_W and cc_star...

Would you really not get in a striker, do you honestly think Vardy can do a job on a regular basis because I don't. In the past couple of games we have proved, that the duo of Waghorn and Vardy don't offer clearly enough than they should do. Waghorn wasn't very good at all in the games he started, while Vardy will always give 100% but recently he has struggled, he is far too hit and miss at this level, yes he will score us goals, but I don't think he will score enough, we can't rely on just Nugent all the time, with Knockaert and King chipping in with a few here and there. It's good to see we have a goalscoring midfielder back in King, that's something we really needed at the start of the season, but now even though we are second, there are still some concerns with our strikeforce, can they be consistent, can they score on a regular basis?

I like Vardy but he is one of those players, who will do well one week and then looks out of his depth the next week. Loan strikers have helped us in the past, in the likes of Yakubu and Kamara when we got those two on loan they looked a class above, Yakubu scored goals, while Kamara had skill and pace about him.

I believe we may get top six, but actual promotion with Vardy and Nugent up front...no sorry not for me :(

Tweaking & twiddling has not only the potential to improve, but also the potential to upset - this is even more the case when you've worked so hard to build the team.

Funny you mention Yakubu & Kamara... Yak was a great addition, scored for fun... team was buoyed on by him & we even looked like making top2 at one point, never mind playoffs, but...

Kamara introduction to the team (along with Bruma) and despite their individual abilities & strengths we only won 2 in the remaining 14 games (or something, that's from memory & may be wrong, but it was a massive down turn) and we finished absolutely nowhere, a fine example of upsetting the apple cart.

Our strength this season is TEAMwork, we just didn't have it to the same level today... of course knee-jerk FoxTalkers will demand replacements, without thinking about how it all effects the strength of the TEAM.

So because you have concerns, the opinion of anyone else is wrong?

You're saying we have concerns over that but as I said I think the options we have upfront are good enough and my only concern is the same as it would be for any strikeforce. Just because you're concerned doesn't mean everyone else has to be. You were concerned that De Laet and Drinkwater were going to appauling this year, you claimed then that we had to get in a defensive midfielder to replace Drinkwater. You were wrong.

It is possible for someone to have an incorrect opinion, for example, those that are of the opinion that Jimmy Saville was a nice man or that the world is flat perhaps?

Neither of those opinions are as daft as being of the opinion that we don't have any issues up front. For a start off the fact that we only have 3 strikers Pearson seems willing to let near the pitch is worrying. One of them is completely unproven at football league level and another is Martyn Waghorn.

Tweaking & twiddling has not only the potential to improve, but also the potential to upset - this is even more the case when you've worked so hard to build the team.

Funny you mention Yakubu & Kamara... Yak was a great addition, scored for fun... team was buoyed on by him & we even looked like making top2 at one point, never mind playoffs, but...

Kamara introduction to the team (along with Bruma) and despite their individual abilities & strengths we only won 2 in the remaining 14 games (or something, that's from memory & may be wrong, but it was a massive down turn) and we finished absolutely nowhere, a fine example of upsetting the apple cart.

Our strength this season is TEAMwork, we just didn't have it to the same level today... of course knee-jerk FoxTalkers will demand replacements, without thinking about how it all effects the strength of the TEAM.

What about the thoughts of the other members of the TEAM who work so hard to create chances only to see them fluffed?

I have never bought into the softly softly approach. If a player is not good enough he's not good enough. If being replaced upsets him then so be it. If he then goes on to sulk and cause upset in the team then he is woefully unprofessional and shouldn't be anywhere near the club.

As for Vardy "getting used to" the championship, Waggy ought to be pretty used to it by now, but he's still not very good. Infact he has got worse. How do we know Vardy has any potential to get any better as a player? He is about 25, I would have thought he is about at the top of his game now. Maybe he could get better with more championship experience, but maybe he won't, and that's not a risk i'd be willing to take if I was NP.

We could do with another striker. The concept of Futacs is probably the right one, but NP doesn't seem interested in him at all so we should look elsewhere. It will be difficult at this stage though, to find anyone who is a significant improvement on what we already have.

Today proved I was right on the Drinkwater front though to some extent, I said he is the kind of player who will get dominated by physical midfields and today that was the case

So I presume the other 12 teams haven't been physical at all then? 1 game out of 13 does not prove you right. But 12 out of 13 proves you massively wrong.

Hardly a shock you start off on this though is it.

So I presume the other 12 teams haven't been physical at all then? 1 game out of 13 does not prove you right. But 12 out of 13 proves you massively wrong.

Yeah a bit silly to start digging at Danny Drinkwater. I know he's not always been brilliant throughout out his career but no matter how bad he was today he's earned the right to bounce back next week by putting in some quality performances for us this season.

If we moved away from 4-4-fooking-2 and into the modern game of 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-1-1, then we might be better :thumbup:

It's so :frusty: that NFP can't see this...

Vardy and Nugent are too similar, and we've been sussed :cry:

Oh well :/

If we moved away from 4-4-fooking-2 and into the modern game of 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2-1, then we might be better :thumbup:

It's so :frusty: that NFP can't see this...

Vardy and Nugent are too similar, and we've been sussed :cry:

Oh well :/

We've been sussed ?? lol

What because we've lost one game lol

I have to disagree about vardy, 3 goals in what, 12 league starts? 1 in 4 would factor up to around 12 goals this season which is certainly respectable for a first season, two levels above your previous.

he also created arguably the best chance of the game today with the cross

to nugent.

We have very similar forwards in Nugent, Vardy and Waghorn. We DO NOT NEED A BIG TARGET MAN however.

Totally disagree and the reason why is that we had ran out of ideas today.. its obvious a plan b was needed as our quick passing and movement in and around the box was being nullified...i heard today we have had the most corners in the championship this season yet we rarely threaten from them, thats why its a must to have an target man when games like today happen...its obvious now that Futacs is not cutting the ice so it would be a good idea to ship him out and get somebody in and put pressure on the strikers to do the business.

We need at least one and possibly two. Nugent and Vardy can be effective with a particular kind of service but together they offer very little in the air, nothing on the near post and don't seem to be instinctive poachers either. We need people who can fill these roles.

Alan Young made a point on radio that against big defenders you have to get the first touch at corners, the flick-on that puts defenders momentarily out of position.

We never get that and still hardly ever score from corners. We also need to get a midfielder who'll play the through balls our current strikers can feed off.

Knockaert could do it but he doesn't generally and the further back he plays the more of a liability he becomes.

Kingy could do it too but has far too much responsibility in other areas particularly with the team giving possession away so cheaply as they did today. Without the right service to feet and between defenders Nugent and Vardy are wasted.

We need at least one and possibly two. Nugent and Vardy can be effective with a particular kind of service but together they offer very little in the air, nothing on the near post and don't seem to be instinctive poachers either. We need people who can fill these roles.

Alan Young made a point on radio that against big defenders you have to get the first touch at corners, the flick-on that puts defenders momentarily out of position.

We never get that and still hardly ever score from corners. We also need to get a midfielder who'll play the through balls our current strikers can feed off.

Knockaert could do it but he doesn't generally and the further back he plays the more of a liability he becomes.

Kingy could do it too but has far too much responsibility in other areas particularly with the team giving possession away so cheaply as they did today. Without the right service to feet and between defenders Nugent and Vardy are wasted.

Depends where he deployed out wide he isn't going to do that better centrally or when he is given the free role.

Drinkwater has been one of our best players this season, I said it the other day, but I have also said in the past he has flaws.

Have we been properly dominated this season, no we haven't. Our home form shows with six wins that we haven't been dominated in any single one, while away from home we have held our own and haven't got dominated once. Today though Crystal Palace were the first team to overpower us in midfield, they dominated us and looked a class above, Drinkwater looked weak today, scared in fact at some times.

We tend to struggle against physical midfields, Wolves was probably the team we struggled against the most, with Doumbia and Henry, but today we got properly outplayed in midfield, that we had to change it to three in the middle because we struggled that much.

It just proves that Drinkwater tends to struggle against midfields like that, and it's just a coincidence that today was the first game our midfield struggled this season, and because we didn't control and dominate we lost.

Tweaking the team is needed in my opinion, teams have made loan signings this season, Cardiff have just brought in Kerim Frei, Huddersfield with Beckford and Vaughan, Middlesbrough have brought in McEachran. There is no harm in tweaking the team a little with loan signings, loan signings are always needed as campaigns progress. We are weak in some areas and they simply need addressing, Vardy isn't a bad player don't get me wrong, but can he perform at this level week in week out?

My answer to that is no, he is far too hit and miss and has been like that, ever since he joined in July/August. He will get us goals, but I don't think he will get enough, to get promotion you need a good amount of goals from 3-4 players and you need your two main strikers to score the majority, we have Nugent, we have King back to form, Knockaert and Marshall are capable of getting 10 a piece, but Vardy I am not so sure, we really need him to be scoring 15 this season, same with Andy King who looks on course, while we have a 20 goal a season man in Nugent. We are missing something up front, and I doubt we will get promotion with Vardy, Waghorn, Futacs and Schlupp as choices. We need to get our depth up as well, we only have 19-20 players, if someone got injured along with St Ledger then we would have to bring Gallagher and Danns back on the bench two players who look like they are going to be loaned out of the club.

For me we need another striker, we need someone like Yakubu who is a goalscorer, like someone said earlier they are rare but we can find one from the Premier League there are some out there not getting a look in.

Totally disagree and the reason why is that we had ran out of ideas today.. its obvious a plan b was needed as our quick passing and movement in and around the box was being nullified...i heard today we have had the most corners in the championship this season yet we rarely threaten from them, thats why its a must to have an target man when games like today happen...its obvious now that Futacs is not cutting the ice so it would be a good idea to ship him out and get somebody in and put pressure on the strikers to do the business.

Much of the disappointment of today stems from our inability to get a hold over the game. Some of that stems from our penchant for hitting very long balls (I'm loathed to call them passes) from a very early stage. Pearson attempted to counter this by putting on James and moving to a 5 man midfield (either as a 2 and a 3 or a 4 and a 1). The vast majority of our success has come from playing passing, high tempo football, we were undone by a side playing football whilst we struggled on lumping balls forward. A 'mobile' big man is an anathema to this style and would be a huge backwards step for us in my opinion.

If we are to sign an additional forward then we need an alternative to the busy and industrious type we have in Nugent, Vardy and Waghorn. I personally do not know of an available forward whom we could attract.

The general depth of our squad is poor, I think we need a bit more than one more striker, we need a plan b, something to change a game when we are faced with a situation like we did today!

Ins't that what Futacs is supposed to be, no use if NP won't use him though

Perhaps...but how much has our 'close knit group' been used as a reason for our good form. By players and the staff.

Is Pearson going to disrupt it by bringing in more strikers? I doubt it

Is Pearson going to bring in a striker after spending 1million on vardy, and have the likes of waghorn , schlupp and futacs who he signed/ brought into the set up who aren't even starting at this stage?

The strikers are getting into the positions and we are creating chances. The big problem should be when we don't create the chances!

Archived