Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Who are our biggest rivals?

I definitely think it'd be spicier against Derby if it was just us pair in the Premier League but at the same time it'd be class being the only East Midlands side in the top flight. I don't remember that ever happening since I've been going.

I definitely think it'd be spicier against Derby if it was just us pair in the Premier League but at the same time it'd be class being the only East Midlands side in the top flight. I don't remember that ever happening since I've been going.

It's only happened once (2003/2004).

For me location wise it's Cov, I only have to travel 10 mins up the road to hinckley and I can't buy a bacon cob for love nor money, I can have as many bacon 'batches' as I want tho!

Living in Nuneaton has to be Cov for me too, loads of family and friends are Cov fans. I also think it helps because Cov don't have any proper rivals like us (they claim Villa but they see their rivalry with Blues and WBA as much bigger).

.... and it is a bacon batch for me too...

Why Forest? Derby is nearer. I always figured the forest haters are the more jealous of their history. For me its Cov. I fooking hate them with a passion now I live near the backward Neanderthals. They have an awful attitude towards us.

Not really relevant.

Personally I don’t miss having a single rivalry in the mutual sense at all.

Take the Derby/Forest one for an example. They constantly point out to us that they don’t care about us and only care about each other. The implication is often that they are so mahoosive whereas we’re a small club that nobody cares about. The reality is very different and really it’s got far more to do with geographical location and Brian Clough.

Forest/Derby has never been a huge game in the wider football context and is only a game that supporters of those two clubs care about. They would claim that it is one of English clubs big rivalries, but why?  It doesn’t have a history of a game that decides Championships, Cups and trophies. Apart from a very brief period in the late 1970s it’s been a perennial lower league fixture and, since Martin O’Neill at Leicester, is often the game that decides who is the second best team in the East Midlands. Their rivalry is totally self serving in that it makes their supporters feel better about themselves under some delusion that it makes them more important. I actually think it’s incredibly small fry to care so much about beating a single team over and above an aspiration to be as successful as possible. Could you imagine Manchester United fans singing “we only care about Liverpool†to fans of Manchester City or Arsenal fans singing “we only care about Spurs†to fans of Chelsea? I do like it when we beat Forest and Derby, but I wouldn’t care if we’d lost 5-0 to both of them as long as we were still promoted.

The best way to establish a rivalry (for those that care), or to have teams really aspire to want to beat you is to be as successful as possible. If we established ourselves in the PL again whilst others around us floundered I can guarantee that Coventry, Derby and Forest fans would all be desperate to knock us off our perch. The attack of: “we don’t care about you you’re not our rivals†is easily deflected when it can be met by the retort: “no, why should you, we’re Premier League!â€

Agreed Joby.

Besides, it's not really our problem or anything to do with us if some team doesn't hate us or whatever. We've always hated Forest, and before Clough came along Forest hated us.

If they don't want to hate us fine, we're not going to stop hating them, neither should we be bothered what they think.

It just annoys me when people are like 'well Forest don't care about us so let's hate Coventry instead'. It doesn't work like that.

It's just nice knowing us minnows will be playing in the top division next season and at least one of the famous clubs won't be.

So satisfying going against the odds and yet again outperforming the bigger, better, world-known heavyweights of the East Midlands.

In the years I've been going, our own worst enemy has definitely been ourselves.

Agreed.

The Moaners FC hate us more than Forest or Derby do.

Why do we need a rival? Makes me cringe every time I hear the fans chanting "Are you watching, Nottingham?"

Agreed Joby.

Besides, it's not really our problem or anything to do with us if some team doesn't hate us or whatever. We've always hated Forest, and before Clough came along Forest hated us.

If they don't want to hate us fine, we're not going to stop hating them, neither should we be bothered what they think.

It just annoys me when people are like 'well Forest don't care about us so let's hate Coventry instead'. It doesn't work like that.

That's so sweet.

Why do we need a rival? Makes me cringe every time I hear the fans chanting "Are you watching, Nottingham?"

Football has always been about local rivalries, if it wasn't it would be about as exciting as Rugger.

I despise co*, it's nice to see them 2 divisions below us but I do miss the excitement and nerves building up in the week before a game. I used to get up even earlier on the morning of the game so I could hate them for longer.

1....Forest

2....Forest

3....Forest

Then

Sky sports news

Forest

Sean Dyche (not Burnley).

Forest

Coventry

Forest

Coventry

Dont forget....Forest

and the spy

Sven.Forest, Erickson.Forest.

1....Forest

2....Forest

3....Forest

Then

Sky sports news

Forest

Sean Dyche (not Burnley).

Forest

Coventry

Forest

Coventry

Dont forget....Forest

and the spy

Sven.Forest, Erickson.Forest.

So there is no understanding.........F O R E S T, FROM SHERIF OF, FROM SHERWOOD, FROM ROBIN HOOD,...

Ok I actually like torvil and dean becos like FOREST...they skate on thin ice.

"Ye old trip to jersulam", I love because its still bigger, than FOREST

Of course it's down to location in part but it's not only about location, it's also down to history.

In both rugby and cricket Leicester's biggest rivals are Northampton. 

However, there's absolutely no history against Northampton in football as Leicester have always been a tier 1 and 2 side whereas Northampton have always been a tier 3 or 4 side. We've been in the same league in only like 2 or 3 seasons in our entire historys. It's probably fair to say that if there was a history of playing each other on regular occasions then our games against Northampton would probably be considered a fierce rivalry,but as there's no history there they're not.

Good post, and you are right.

Jobyfox's post is spot on.

The thing that makes me laugh the most about them is that they use it to beat us with as if we're an insignificant club in terms of size compared to them pair.

There's never a greater sign of a moron/someone very bitter towards us than when they chuck out the 'no one cares about you' drivel.

Archived