Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Fraizer Campbell

Another sound squad player. If we can add a couple of significantly better players then it is looking good. We were always going to be going for this type of player and at this price, it seems like good business. Not spectacular, but good business.

Squad/impact player, underwhelming perhaps but with no loans available for any potential injuries and FA and League Cups to compete in....

I'm just waiting for the 3 Knocky/Mahrez esque gems that will be unearthed in the coming months.

But it's looking like sexless, sensible business for the moment.

Starting to worry slightly at these names linked. IMO we should only be looking to buy players now we are in the prem who are better than ones we already have. Are upson and Campbell any better than what we have? IMO no. I'd rather see us spend 15 mill on 2/3 players and utilise the free agents such as albrighton and hamer who I do regard as good signings. I hope this isn't true as I'm not overly happy about the upson signing. Oh well in Pearson we trust

He got 6 goals in the league last year. Interestingly Hull's top scorer last year got (I believe) 5 goals, so we don't necessarily need someone who's going to score a shit load for us to stay up. I could easily see Campbell, Vardy, Nugent and Wood getting 5+ depending on how much game time they get so hopefully we're on track.

This would be a very shrewd signing.    Vardy, Wood are untested at this level (and even Nugent's record is unspectacular).  Campbell has at least shown last season that he can play at this level.  In terms of managing risk it seems a sensible way to spend £1m.

I'm not sure Campbell did show he could play at this level last season. He had a poor year.

I just about understood the Hamer and Albrighton deals, but the Upson move feels a bit too Micky Adams summer 03, and as for Campbell...

I read, on another club's forum, a debate about how Kenwynne Jones keeps getting a job in the top flight. The consensus - and I agree - is that a lot of struggling Premier League clubs make the mistake of going for players who have played plenty of Premiership football but ultimately shown themselves not to be good enough. Proven failures as opposed to unknown quantities. Campbell, Upson (considering his final two seasons with Stoke) and Albrighton (struggled to make a side that was nearly relegated) come into this category.

Newly promoted clubs would often be better off with the players who had done so well for them a season earlier than the ones they start accumulating upon promotion. As such we shouldn't be surprised when sides get relegated and look nowhere near good enough to go back up. Hopefully this isn't what's happening at City now, but it looks oddly reminiscent of a policy which has backfired on plenty of clubs (ourselves included) in the past. We'll have to see.

It would be a shame if this came at the expense of Wood. I think, given the chance, he could prove himself at the top level. But maybe I rate him too highly.

I feel you. It seems like every time he's given a chance he sticks it in the net so why not see what he can do?

I'm not sure Campbell did show he could play at this level last season. He had a poor year.

I just about understood the Hamer and Albrighton deals, but the Upson move feels a bit too Micky Adams summer 03, and as for Campbell...

I read, on another club's forum, a debate about how Kenwynne Jones keeps getting a job in the top flight. The consensus - and I agree - is that a lot of struggling Premier League clubs make the mistake of going for players who have played plenty of Premiership football but ultimately shown themselves not to be good enough. Proven failures as opposed to unknown quantities. Campbell, Upson (considering his final two seasons with Stoke) and Albrighton (struggled to make a side that was nearly relegated) come into this category.

Newly promoted clubs would often be better off with the players who had done so well for them a season earlier than the ones they start accumulating upon promotion. As such we shouldn't be surprised when sides get relegated and look nowhere near good enough to go back up. Hopefully this isn't what's happening at City now, but it looks oddly reminiscent of a policy which has backfired on plenty of clubs (ourselves included) in the past. We'll have to see.

Whilst I agree, I think as we grow as a side; the players we've taken on will become even more bit-part and resume the roles they adopted at their previous clubs (I'm talking Albrighton here). At the moment I think what Nigel is doing is just upgrading the squad players we had last season.

Phillips to coaching staff- mean we require a bit part striker. (Campbell)

Dyer to Watford- we need a bit part winger. (Albrighton)

Miquel, Whitbread, SSL all out- Upson who is left sided and has played the majority of his career on the top flight comes in.

We'll stick with the core of players, I'm sure what Nigel is doing is just replenishing the background with experience in survival. I think it's a positive tactic, and it's actually a very astute management model.

What I do think is that we're due about 4 gems from abroad. Deals that probably require more details as opposed to the free signings we've already made.

To be fair to Campbell given Cardiff finished bottom of the league, played a more direct style (which does not suit Campbell) and he had an injury, he did pretty well. I cannot stress enough about realism this season. It's about building a resiliant squad which works hard. If NP has shown one thing it's he does not like lazy forwards and wants willing runners. Some of the names mentioned are just not our style, unless it's a target man for others to play off Pearson won't want static fox in the box types. Campbell is a worker and that suits us for now. Let's be fair we were a poorer side when vardy and his work rate wasn't there...

Coming from a team that ceased to score goals when they went to the Premiership, brought in in a January transfer window to solve that problem after spending 5  4 years at Sunderland doing the opposite, I'm not certain we can rely on him to suddenly resurrect his career, and in my view this may well be gamble.

Yes he has pace to burn but his finishing is appalling at times. Maybe under the stewardship of Phillips he might find it, maybe Pearson might be confident that might occur. He did score 8 goals, but I wonder if any of those were penalties?  :ph34r:

EDIT - Ignore my first paragraph, he was brought in during their ascent to the Prem. I've got my lines muddled.

Just out of interest, what were you struggling with on the Albrighton deal?

Whilst I agree, I think as we grow as a side; the players we've taken on will become even more bit-part and resume the roles they adopted at their previous clubs (I'm talking Albrighton here). At the moment I think what Nigel is doing is just upgrading the squad players we had last season.

Phillips to coaching staff- mean we require a bit part striker. (Campbell)

Dyer to Watford- we need a bit part winger. (Albrighton)

Miquel, Whitbread, SSL all out- Upson who is left sided and has played the majority of his career on the top flight comes in.

We'll stick with the core of players, I'm sure what Nigel is doing is just replenishing the background with experience in survival. I think it's a positive tactic, and it's actually a very astute management model.

What I do think is that we're due about 4 gems from abroad. Deals that probably require more details as opposed to the free signings we've already made.

I understand exactly what you're saying, but one further concern, with this in mind, is that we could upset our team spirit and do nothing to improve on our current squad if we simply go about accumulating large numbers of fringe players.

I honestly believe that 3-4 measured signings designed to significantly upgrade a squad is better than 6-8 squad players who may or may not come good, and may lead to a manager not knowing his best team. From a Leicester viewpoint, it's summer 96 (Keller, Prior, Izzet, Marshall) vs. summer 03 (Coyne, Howey, Thatcher, Hignett, Brooker, Ferdinand, Bent, Curtis, Nalis, Scimeca etc.).

I've always been very positive about Pearson's signings. But something about the way this summer has begun doesn't feel right. But that could all change.

Starting to worry slightly at these names linked. IMO we should only be looking to buy players now we are in the prem who are better than ones we already have. Are upson and Campbell any better than what we have? IMO no. I'd rather see us spend 15 mill on 2/3 players and utilise the free agents such as albrighton and hamer who I do regard as good signings. I hope this isn't true as I'm not overly happy about the upson signing. Oh well in Pearson we trust

They may not be "better", but they certainly are as good as the majority of the squad that we already have. Considering the fact that establishing ourselves in the Premiership first is the main task, you've got to build on solid ground. And that's exactly what we're doing with the recent transfers and the ones to come still.

Archived