Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Youngy shunned by BBC

RL editor Jane Hill said: "Contrary to reports, I have personally explained the reasons to Alan - but it wouldn't be right to share them in public."

When I spoke to Alan on Saturday, he said he didn't know what the reasons were.

It's fair to say that over time Al has had some "differences of opinion" with non-playing LCFC staff. Al has made some mistakes IMHO but so have others involved in this.

It's a bit of a mess and a shame and, as I said before, I'm sad a good friend has lost his job. I hope he gets something else sorted quickly.

Disgusting behaviour to be honest, hes stuck by us and had to put up with Stringer for years and now we are in the prem, hes told hes not needed! Poor form BBC Leicester ... poor form ...

Was always the positive and level headed person we needed on the radio to counter Stringers mood swings.

Yes, as a post does not reach 9 pages without people giving a shit.

Stuck by us? Through what actually?

Watching games for free and co commentating on the team he supposedly loves is hardly "sticking by the club"

BBC took a chance by hiring him after his passed, and he should be thankful for that.

But by the sounds of it he has forgotten about t and is holding a grudge against BBC & LCFC.

And when Jason Bourne filled in for Stringer when he was away we realised "putting up" with Stringer isn't that bad of a thing. He gets a lot more stick than he deserves.

I liked AY but preferred it when he was on once in a while rather then every game.

My expectation of local radio is pretty low anyway, but if I had the choice I would prefer them to mix it up a bit with a variety of ex players and managers.

I'm sick of corporate BS. Tell us the real reason why they sacked him and then the people can decide whether they agree with those reasons or not.

Alan says himself he doesn't mind if the real reason is told, but the BBC are hiding it behind a load of corporate mumbo jumbo. That's the annoying part of all this for me.

The BBC won't comment on why Alan was sacked because it might prejudice an employment tribunal if Alan decides to go to one, he has 90 days to decide if he will challenge his sacking.

The BBC won't comment on why Alan was sacked because it might prejudice an employment tribunal if Alan decides to go to one, he has 90 days to decide if he will challenge his sacking.

Wouldn't he have been self employed or a contractor working for the BBC rather than a full time employee. If they haven't renewed his contract for another year he won't have much of a case, though i'm by no means an expert on employment laws so am probably wrong.

Isn't Babylon just thinking of your post about the charity match?

Could have been, where was that post?

I just have some vague recollection of something like that, couldn't remember where or what exactly. My gaffer went and he's told me quite a bit of stuff so about the night so maybe I'm merging the two things!

Could have been, where was that post?

I just have some vague recollection of something like that, couldn't remember where or what exactly. My gaffer went and he's told me quite a bit of stuff so about the night so maybe I'm merging the two things!

In this thread a couple of days ago.

I know for a fact in the past he's not conducted himself well in and around the club.

The selebrity game he just walked in without having any tickets, the game was for charity and had nothing to do with LCFC. He was questioned as to what he was doing and said something similar to "do you know who I am".

Sounds like you're thinking of an older post though.

To me, the opinion someone has on the sacking of Alan Young twists upon how seriously they take radio football commentary. Frequently last season he projected really quite severe cynicism, in particular of our strikers when the context or situation didn't call for it. His analysis of tactics wasn't even as good as Ian Stringers', which is rather embarrassing given that he played pro football for a decent amount of time. That being said, whether the sacking is a good thing turns upon who he's replaced by. Moreover, I refer back to my opening sentence in how seriously you take the commentary; for me personally, I found the broad brush disregard that he sometimes yelled through his microphone really quite entertaining, so I'm disappointed from that perspective.

My complaint isn't with getting rid of Alan Young, the BBC are fully entitled to do so. Instead, the problem is the way in which they went about it. Look at us, we're all typing away in a forum speculating when really the public funded BBC should give some solid facts for their decision. We're just left with little rumours and insignificant events that lead us to assume the worst.

cmon guys getting a bit silly in here now

i didnt really mind youngy he had passion and told it how it was some of the time and other times had his faves i would have much prefered stringer to go and him be replaced.

it does not look like youngy will be back so looking forward you gotta say walshy or izzet is a good shout ,both legends when we were last in the prem and both have the foxes at heart.

although walshy might be a bit more outspoken and this could go against him.

i still miss good old nev foulger :)

Archived