Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Youngy shunned by BBC

Yeah beause they've only heard Alan Young's side of the story! It's so easy to manipulate stories when you've only heard one side! For the record I've only heard Young's side of the story, but it would be wrong to think there's nothing more to it than hearing the BBC's side! Only Young and the BBC know the reasons and I think that's how it'll stay.

People need to move. He was slated week in week out for being shit on air, getting names wrong etc. Now thousands have come out of the woodwork.

This is what I was thinking. Every game I'd see people moaning on Twitter about how Young always got names of the players wrong (Lee Danns etc.) but now he's left everyone is backing him and saying what a wonderful job he's done and how passionate about the club he was. If he was that passionate about the club he would't be getting the names of players wrong would he? He may claim it's for a laugh but it's not professional in the slightest and for someone listening for the first time it may well be confusing.

Furthermore, his issue against some of the players (especially Knockaert) was bordering on obscene. Some games I'd listen, Millwall away comes to mind, and all he did was slag Knockaert off but then people are coming back from the match and saying he was one of our best players. He's working for the BBC surely he is meant to be impartial rather than carrying something over every week!

If Young leaving means Stringer becomes a better lead commentator then BBC have made the correct decision, in my opinion at least. Stringer is still only young, and relatively new to the scene, so if he can get a steady co-commentator then he'll be a good commentator in the future.

I think we all know he's had some problems in the past, and I sincerely hope him leaving doesn't make these resurface.

Stinger is more than a commentator (granted I rarely hear a full commentary from him as I'm at most games). He's a sports reporter. Whether people agree with me or not, he does a good job covering the club and tries to get answers to questions that some people wouldn't even ask.

Easily the best we've had on the radio since Neville Foulger. Some people are never happy though. But then again, you can't please everyone in this world.

Going out on a limb here because I don't actually know, but I would say that the BBC have done this with their best interests at heart for what's going to be out biggest season in a decade.

It's never nice when someone loses their job, but it's a cruel world.

People forget that radio Leicester are completely independent to the club.

I actually think it quite relevant to relieve him of his duties. Although he is a LCFC man through and through he does´t come across as a very competent commentator. Firstly he was barely understandable with his broad scottish accent. Secondly he did not seem to be able to convey tactics in any way. In my opinion a very basic commentator that didn't give the listener anything but his "passion" - oohhh and what he would have done in his days with Jock. Times are changing and a higher level of professionalism will be required in all areas for the coming season so to me the "sacking" as actually OK.

Stinger is more than a commentator (granted I rarely hear a full commentary from him as I'm at most games). He's a sports reporter. Whether people agree with me or not, he does a good job covering the club and tries to get answers to questions that some people wouldn't even ask.

Easily the best we've had on the radio since Neville Foulger. Some people are never happy though. But then again, you can't please everyone in this world.

Going out on a limb here because I don't actually know, but I would say that the BBC have done this with their best interests at heart for what's going to be out biggest season in a decade.

It's never nice when someone loses their job, but it's a cruel world.

People forget that radio Leicester are completely independent to the club.

True, but if they upset the club, the club can make things dffiicult for them, as when Stringer upset Pearson and refused to do interviews for local radio.

This is not a new thing either, going back to the early seventies, the Mercury reporter (think it was Lawrie Simpkin) said something in the paper that upset the club, and the club banned him, which in the end resulted in him being replaced by (Hans Christian) Bill Anderson, who would go out of his way to appease the club.

In fact Bill Anderson actually seemed far happier when he was having a pop at our fans to be honest.

If Youngy has upset anyone at the club, it certainly wouldn`t surprise me if the club made it known that he would no longer be welcome, which would force radio Leicesters hand really.

I do feel sorry for the guy though, i don`t think he was as bad as many on here have said, but each to their own opinion and all that.

True I'm not old enough to see Alan play, but just because some of us can remember him playing for us doesn't mean we can ignore some glaringly obvious shortfalls as a co-commentator, Patrick Kisnorbo played longer for this club than he did and we wouldn't be wanting him back to commentate. Alan has undoubtedly gone through more than his fair share of rough times but so have many others and it doesn't grant them immunity from losing their jobs if they're incompetent. All the best for the future Al, he used to be involved at Notts Co. in their youth setup so that's a possible future career path.

Patrick Kisnorbo played longer for this club than he did and we wouldn't be wanting him back to commentate.

Why not? He might be a brilliant pundit, who knows. Who seriously expected Gary Neville to be as good as he is on the telly? James Scowcroft is a good pundit, as is Iwan Roberts.

Why not? He might be a brilliant pundit, who knows. Who seriously expected Gary Neville to be as good as he is on the telly? James Scowcroft is a good pundit, as is Iwan Roberts.

I would love Iwan Roberts to do it!

I`m sure some of our lot would moan that they couldn`t understand him because of his Welsh accent though!

They will probably employ Rendall Monroe knowing Radio Leicester, and some on here will love it, cos he proper Lestah aint he!!

so in summary:

alan young was an alright-ish man who was a failure at his job.

ian stringer is a failure of a man who's alright-ish at his job.

You wouldn't say Stringer was alright at his job if you'd heard him then compare to 5Live/5Extra or any the opposition's local radio commentary

Mystery how he's lasted in his job so long

That's a fair point, I was more just using Kisnorbo as a benchmark for how long Young was actually involed with the club in a playing capacity

I feel sorry for Alan but he wasn't the best if were honset but however he did care and that passion came across over the airwaves to the fans. All i hope is that the BBC replace him someone equally as passionate, all the best Mr Young.

Archived