Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alex_LCFC

Troy Deeney

Regardless of past issues I'm not sure id want to spend that kind of money on Deeney, as well as ulloa. We're talking the best part of £15m on two championship strikers. Bit risky if you ask me.

Assuming Ulloa signs, not sure another striker is a priority especially at that kind of money.

Money could be spent wiser in my opinion on positions more essential. Of course that could still happen.

These 2 Deeney bids have got to mean that the rumours of Nuge going to Burnley might have some mileage in them.  Deeney is exactly the same type of player.  I agree with posters elsewhere that it's strange that Nuge'd go after he signed a new contract, but I guess it means he (and the Club !) might get more money from the transfer.  He'd get better signing-on fees and obviously the Club, a transfer fee - the extended contract would suit both parties then.

Definite future England centre-back and would be perfect alongside Morgan, shame that he'll be off to QPR. 

If he's so good why is nobody else looking at him other than QPR, where are the better teams in the league?

These 2 Deeney bids have got to mean that the rumours of Nuge going to Burnley, might have some mileage in them.  Deeney is exactly the same type of player.  I agree with posters elsewhere that it's strange that Nuge'd go after he signed a new contract, but I guess it means he (and the Club !) might get more money from the transfer.  He'd get better signing-on fees and obviously the Club, a transfer fee - the extended contract would suit both parties then.

Even in the limited amount of minutes I've seen him play I'm pretty sure this is absolutely not true.

There are other strikers out there who I feel would justify such a price more

Such as?

These 2 Deeney bids have got to mean that the rumours of Nuge going to Burnley might have some mileage in them.  Deeney is exactly the same type of player.  I agree with posters elsewhere that it's strange that Nuge'd go after he signed a new contract, but I guess it means he (and the Club !) might get more money from the transfer.  He'd get better signing-on fees and obviously the Club, a transfer fee - the extended contract would suit both parties then.

Errrr nah.

That mentality is ok on a few players... Portsmouth's problem was that they had that mentality for about 20 signings all earning about 50/60k.

True. I just think it's along similar lines although it's pretty obvious we're in better hands. I'd be worried if anyone inside the club had that kind of mentality.

Is there actually something in this? Surely not. I've rubbished this one but people reporting that two bids have been turned down?

I think potential wage demands is first thing Nige looks at. He won't mind paying a big transfer fee if the player is on a lesser wage.

Transfer policy is obviously recruit the best if the rest from the championship as they won't demand massive money and hope they make the step up.

True. I just think it's along similar lines although it's pretty obvious we're in better hands. I'd be worried if anyone inside the club had that kind of mentality.

Is there actually something in this? Surely not. I've rubbished this one but people reporting that two bids have been turned down?

I think you have a valid point but at least the players we're supposedly bidding large amounts on are coming into their prime with decent records and something to prove. I'd be a lot less comfortable if we were spending horrendous amounts on fees/wages for players already past their best and with nothing to prove.

Such as?

Errrr nah.

Seeing as you're still quoting me, feel free to go back and read. I said I'd rather spend the 600k on Campbell than a big money move for Deeney. With regards to Caulker, I'm sure he has a lot to prove and Nige would bring that out of him. Football is fickle and if you're apart of a relegated team all the players seem to get tarnished yet in another team I'm sure certain players would flourish, Caulker being one of them. This is all fantasy talk as we're not in for him and he's going QPR, I was just using him as an example of someone I wouldn't feel so bad about us spending £7.5m on.

It must just pain you to actually agree with anyone on this forum, or acknowledge that others have differing opinions. lol

I can see this now. We'll end up paying £11 million for him, everyone will moan and groan. But next season he'll score the winning goal of the last game of the season to keep us up and he'll forever be a Leicester hero. We'll then be celebrating our own 'Deeney Day'. 

I think you have a valid point but at least the players we're supposedly bidding large amounts on are coming into their prime with decent records and something to prove. I'd be a lot less comfortable if we were spending horrendous amounts on fees/wages for players already past their best and with nothing to prove.

I do agree but I'm struggling to see where they all fit. Are we really going to rotate two forwards we've paid around seven million for? Maybe we will but it seems a bit odd.

I can't distinguish if all this talk about Slimani/Deeney is as well as Ulloa, or if it's a back-up should Ulloa not actually sign.

I was thinking we'd sign Ulloa & Campbell and then rotate them with Nugent & Vardy. So if we play two up front, we have Ulloa/Nugent with Vardy/Campbell, with the former both times being the first choice. If we sign all of those, AND Deeney, where do they fit? Do we go 4-3-3? Can't see any of them being happy to be benched.

Not to mention we've extended GTF's contract (expect him to be about fifth choice) and that Wood leaving isn't a certainty, though I think it'll happen. On that note I think we've done well if we get £2mil for him.

I said I'd rather spend the 600k on Campbell than a big money move for Deeney.

On the face of it 600k for Campbell is great, but because of the cheap fee we don't know what extras are being demanded. Stupid wages, signing on fees, bonuses etc could mean what looks a good deal to those on the outside, isn't actually that good a deal.

Nige has constantly talked about the whole package, walking away if people are too focused on money etc. Getting value for money etc. They will weigh it up and make the call they think best for the total price.

Now many might not consider Deeney value for money (for me how he performs dictates that). But would say Delort be any better value? £5m+ for someone who scored goals in the french second division, who might need time to settle in this country etc (not everyone is an instant success like Mahrez).

Struggling to think of two forwards who could be more dissimilar than these two.

Not feeling this. Now we have Ulloa, I thought the money would be spent a little more wisely in different positions, such as left back, where we all know is going to be a problem. The Campbell signing I can understand due to the similarities with Vardy but Deeney? and for that amount of money, think our scouting system could have done better to be honest.

Was the statement Pearson came out with the other day about not being bothered by certain types of characters if he thinks they can do a job for Leicester some kind of code for we're after Deeney?! I'd be quite excited if we could get him in!

This is NEVER gonna happen. Not in 6.5 million years. Why would we spend £7.5 on a target man like Ulloa to then buy another target man for £6.5m. No.

We (probably) submitted a bid/enquiry for Deeney about 2 or 3 weeks ago, when our previous bid for Ulloa was rejected. Even if we were ‘in’ for Deeney there’s no way we’d start at £6.5m. We’d start the bidding low (£3m-ish) as we did for Ulloa.

Watford (or Deeney’s agent) have now chosen to leak this to the media as their way of publicising their starting price for Deeney. £6.5m

The End.

Thanks for an insider view of Troys situation and let's now consider this matter closed and move on in life.

Was the statement Pearson came out with the other day about not being bothered by certain types of characters if he thinks they can do a job for Leicester some kind of code for we're after Deeney?! I'd be quite excited if we could get him in!

Potentially, but I'm still sitting here wondering where all of these left field signings of players we'd never heard of have ended up

They can jog on if 7.5 million still isn't enough. The guy simply isn't worth that much.

I'll be even more disappointed if we pay over 7.5 million for Deeney, and then let Nuge go for 2-3 million. Seems completely pointless.

Archived