Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Champions League 2014-15

We'll never know, will we? Leicester and Crystal Palace won't be playing Elche, Cordoba, Sassuolo and the like any time soon, I don't know how we can say any league is the strongest for definite. And does it really matter either way?

New UEFA plate competition anyone?

I like that as it benefits actual champions.

If that had happened this season, pot one would've been...

Real Madrid

Manchester City

Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid

Juventus

Benfica

PSG

CSKA Moscow

It's not guaranteed to benefit actual champions though. Just reverses the order in which they come out of the pot. CSKA, who should be nowhere near Pot 1, draw Barcelona or Chelsea out of Pot 2 (I'm presuming the rest is done on coefficients) rather than the other way round. Teams like Dortmund and potentially Arsenal are pushed back into Pot 3 and it makes it just as tough for a CSKA type. Same if it was a Swiss or Dutch team taking the last Pot 1 place.

Personally think it's all bollocks until it actually becomes the Champions (only) League again. Yes the competition wouldn't be as great but it'd bring an element of competition back to every league. Clubs like Man City and Chelsea wouldn't be able to spend so much knowing that they aren't guaranteed to finish top (as opposed to they know they are 99% assured of CL football every year in the current state and so can spend what they want) and this would close the gap between the league winner and the rest.

That's why in 1995/96, four years into the competition, 11 of 16 teams were still making the debut - it promoted regular change in league winner.

CSKA Moscow are quite clearly a one-off though. How many top sides is it actually going to push down?

I bet CSKA Moscow would get an easier group in this format.

Saying that, I think it's quite hard not to. Their group is one of the hardest I've seen.

I'd seriously consider binning off the group stages.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I'd let it ride, should be comfortable imo. like I said in the tipping thread the only reason man city and the like are longer odds at places like Moscow is the weather and the crowd. there is no crowd and it's not actually that cold. amazed they were 3/4 or so and not about 1/3.

watch them go and piss it up now lol!

yeah I'd let it ride, should be comfortable imo. like I said in the tipping thread the only reason man city and the like are longer odds at places like Moscow is the weather and the crowd. there is no crowd and it's not actually that cold. amazed they were 3/4 or so and not about 1/3.

watch them go and piss it up now lol!

Cheers mate. Hope not :)

also how come there is quite clearly at least a blocks worth of pretty vocal fans despite the fact it's behind close doors

Are they properly under the cosh?

yeah can't keep the ball for shit. cska don't look too threatening tbf but city just keep giving it away.

also how come there is quite clearly at least a blocks worth of pretty vocal fans despite the fact it's behind close doors

yeah can't keep the ball for shit. cska don't look too threatening tbf but city just keep giving it away.

Must be mad backing Man City in the CL!

Archived