Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Champions League 2014-15

I think people read far too much into the success of league's representatives in the CL as a barometer for the overall strength of a league.

Take this week for example. German sides have picked up seven points to our one in the three inter-league ties this week:

- Dortmund ran all over Arsenal, who looked underprepared but were short in defensive cover. To be fair, I think only two or three sides in the world could've coped with Dortmund that night. When they're in that mood with the atmosphere as it is, they are nigh on unplayable.

- Bayern supposedly were good value for their win over City but again you are asking a lot of any side to go to the Allianz and win. Munich have won 14 opening CL games - they know how to get it done.

- I went to Stamford Bridge last night (don't ask why as I fvcking hate Chelsea and Schalke) and it kind of confirmed something I have been thinking for a while now: English teams workrate just isn't there at times. Schalke should not be able to take a point at what is clearly the best side in England - they are 16th in the Bundesliga and lost a cup tie to Dynamo Dresden FFS. But they did. Because they grafted hard. Depleted by injuries but they gave it absolutely everything and deserved the draw massively. Chelsea just didn't play with the same intensity as they do in the PL and it cost them.

That intensity was the common theme throughout all three games, and for me it is down to two things:

1) The German sides respecting the CL more at an early stage. Bayern know that success in the CL is their only metric for a successful season and Schalke/Dortmund know they cannot take any game for granted else they'll be out.

2) The intensity from the crowd is mirrored on the pitch. Talk about special European nights at English grounds all you like but places like Stamford Bridge, the Etithad and the Emirates simply do not have the fear factor that other European sides can generate and inspire their own side with. Schalke's away fans gave it everything last night. In their minds, there was no way their side was going to let them down. In contrast, Chelsea's lot just stood there in relative silence singing 10 German Bombers and a ripped off song (Didier Drogba tralalala - are you kidding?) every now and then. They even sang 'Oh Dennis Wise, scored a fvcking great goal at the San Siro'. There's lifting songs and then there's that. It doesn't even rhyme lol

It's a fvcking retarded argument as to which is the best league. Clearly the one with twice as much money as the rest should be (and probably just about is - wow that's something to be proud of) but there's an awful lot wrong with the way we run football in this country and with the resources we have at our disposal we should really be doing better. Learning from other countries rather than continually pointing to the TV deals and claiming it's simply a bad patch would be a start.

A good and insightful post from someone who watches more German football than me.

I think La Liga's better than the Premier League throughout. Not just the top sides either. The technical quality of players in even the bottom half is vastly superior to what we can boast, for me.

It just annoys me how for the self-appointed 'best league in the world', we seem to collectively accept that we can't match Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. Where are our elite sides?

A good and insightful post from someone who watches more German football than me.

I think La Liga's better than the Premier League throughout. Not just the top sides either. The technical quality of players in even the bottom half is vastly superior to what we can boast, for me.

It just annoys me how for the self-appointed 'best league in the world', we seem to collectively accept that we can't match Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. Where are our elite sides?

Because the men at the top care only about the marketing and they've got enough people believing that it's the 'best league in the world' to buy into the 'product'. They don't give a shit about whether or not the sides are actually any good, only the appearance matters.

Because the men at the top care only about the marketing and they've got enough people believing that it's the 'best league in the world' to buy into the 'product'. They don't give a shit about whether or not the sides are actually any good, only the appearance matters.

I fully agree, it just amazes me how many don't see through this.

I remember when we would have 3 English teams in a semi final (Liverpool and Chelsea twice) now we struggle to go any further than the group stage!

We nearly clean swept one year, 07-08, we beat Arsenal 5-3 in the 1/4 Finals in an absolute thriller, if that draw had gone slightly different I would pretty much of banked every penny I owned that it would of been all four English sides in the Semi-Finals. United went on to beat Chelsea in Moscow. 

• 2 weeks later...

So just like the last time Manchester City won the Premier League, they are making a mockery of their 'Champions of England' title in Europe.  So infuriating to watch, a million cute little passes all in front of the opposition whilst nobody is looking to get in behind and turn a defence or even take a shot heaven forbid!

I just think English clubs are paying a price for a hyper competitive Premier League, every week our clubs are going at it leather and tongues and by the time they play in Europe midweek they are utterly shagged out.  I personally believe we are lucky to have the top flight that we do, in Germany ALL that matters is Bayern Munich, in Spain nobody gives a shit about teams other than Real Madrid and Barcelona.  They walk their respective leagues without breaking a sweat and are free to tear it up in the Champions League.  

In England you wouldn't be particularly surprised if Burnley went to the the Etihad and got a deserved win, anybody really can beat anybody and I believe that's why the Premier League really is the best in the world and the best club competition to win (BTW when the media says best they 99.9% of the time mean the biggest, richest and most watched football league in the world which is without debate).

So just like the last time Manchester City won the Premier League, they are making a mockery of their 'Champions of England' title in Europe.  So infuriating to watch, a million cute little passes all in front of the opposition whilst nobody is looking to get in behind and turn a defence or even take a shot heaven forbid!

I just think English clubs are paying a price for a hyper competitive Premier League, every week our clubs are going at it leather and tongues and by the time they play in Europe midweek they are utterly shagged out.  I personally believe we are lucky to have the top flight that we do, in Germany ALL that matters is Bayern Munich, in Spain nobody gives a shit about teams other than Real Madrid and Barcelona.  They walk their respective leagues without breaking a sweat and are free to tear it up in the Champions League.  

In England you wouldn't be particularly surprised if Burnley went to the the Etihad and got a deserved win, anybody really can beat anybody and I believe that's why the Premier League really is the best in the world and the best club competition to win (BTW when the media says best they 99.9% of the time mean the biggest, richest and most watched football league in the world which is without debate).

You do realise that neither Barcelona or Real Madrid won La Liga last season?

And yes I would be surprised if Burnley went to the Etihad and got a deserved win.

It wasn't long ago we used to get 3 teams in the semi finals, the premier league was just as competitive then.

No idea where to start here.

1) Atletico are the current La Liga champions.

2) Bilbao and Barca both lost tonight.

3) I would be monumentally surprised if Burnley won at City.

4) We used to get teams regularly to a CL final a few years back

5) No way could Chelsea or City be shagged out, they both came through games fairly easily on Saturday.

No idea where to start here.

1) Atletico are the current La Liga champions.

2) Bilbao and Barca both lost tonight.

3) I would be monumentally surprised if Burnley won at City.

4) We used to get teams regularly to a CL final a few years back

5) No way could Chelsea or City be shagged out, they both came through games fairly easily on Saturday.

City didn't win last night because the squad isn't confident playing Champions league football as they show time and time again, secondly the Italian league is nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be on here. Glad to see Roma doing well and hope Juventus can follow suit tonight to help dispel the myth that it's not a league to be taken seirously anymore. 

How overrated is Yaya Toure

He's not really, he's been one of the best midfielders in the world for the past two or three seasons. He's not quite reaching those standards and he's being criticised for doing so - you can't be overrated when more people are slating you than praising you, surely?

If he was currently receiving unanimous praise without merit I could understand your point, but he isn't, so I can't.

Archived