Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScouseFox

Andy King

King a Leicester legend?

Not for me.

I think the criteria for me would have something to do with quality. He’s not in the same class as Izzett or Lennon.

Some players still make an argument to be on the list by making significant contributions, at significant milestones in our history, irrespective of their quality:  Walsh with his goals in the play off final versus Derby, Steve Claridge with his shin, Heskey and Elliott in the league cup. More recently you could make a case for those players that excelled to get us into the Premier League. Not sure that Andy King makes as strong a case as David Nugent in that respect.

Longevity and commitment is another measure people often use. If Andy King qualifies on those grounds then what about Conrad Logan?

Finally there might be Charisma and profile. People probably see Cambiasso as a legend in that respect, but did he really do enough in just one season? What about Frank Worthington? Was he that good or was it down to personality that he is rated so highly?

You’d probably choose a combination of some of these measures to call someone a legend. Andy king falls just a bit short on all of them, for me, apart from longevity and commitment; but I don’t think that’s enough to put him alongside some of the legends from the past.

Interesting this debate.

Particularly as it was Kingy's goal against West Ham in April that this started fantastic run.

You shouldn't be surprised.

There were people on here who preferred Danny Tiatto to Kingy (and perhaps still would! :D ) because the bloke slid on his arse to tackle anything that moved while snapping and snarling so much it was a relief for him to get to any 45-minute mark without being booked.

He actually completed one season without ever being on the winning side but I don't think that changed the views of his supporters, quite the contrary, and, yes, even I wouldn't deny that at least the bloke tried and was in that sense an improvement on some of the choices available.

But that was about it, apart from his three goals in 73 matches over three seasons - or about a quarter the number Kingy's played.          

King a Leicester legend?

Not for me.

I think the criteria for me would have something to do with quality. He’s not in the same class as Izzett or Lennon.

Some players still make an argument to be on the list by making significant contributions, at significant milestones in our history, irrespective of their quality: Walsh with his goals in the play off final versus Derby, Steve Claridge with his shin, Heskey and Elliott in the league cup. More recently you could make a case for those players that excelled to get us into the Premier League. Not sure that Andy King makes as strong a case as David Nugent in that respect.

Longevity and commitment is another measure people often use. If Andy King qualifies on those grounds then what about Conrad Logan?

Finally there might be Charisma and profile. People probably see Cambiasso as a legend in that respect, but did he really do enough in just one season? What about Frank Worthington? Was he that good or was it down to personality that he is rated so highly?

You’d probably choose a combination of some of these measures to call someone a legend. Andy king falls just a bit short on all of them, for me, apart from longevity and commitment; but I don’t think that’s enough to put him alongside some of the legends from the past.

Conrad is a legend and you know it

IF the unthinkable happens and we somehow manage to win the league in the next few seasons (ha!), am I right in thinking that that will make Kingy the first player to ever win the PL, Championship AND League 1 (or equivalent)? At the very least, surely it must make him the only player to have won it all with 1 club...

Bloody hell, never thought I'd even contemplate writing that. Show's how far we've come since 07/08, and Kingy's been here all the way, and passionate as ever. 100% a legend in my eyes.

King a Leicester legend?

Not for me.

Some players still make an argument to be on the list by making significant contributions, at significant milestones in our history, irrespective of their quality:  Walsh with his goals in the play off final versus Derby, Steve Claridge with his shin, Heskey and Elliott in the league cup. More recently you could make a case for those players that excelled to get us into the Premier League. Not sure that Andy King makes as strong a case as David Nugent in that respect.

He's got way more than years of service though and that's obvious.

He scored goals to help us out of League One.

He scored goals for two Championship play-off seasons (and in the come back in Cardiff).

He scored goals to win us the Championship.

Probably most importantly, he scored in two of the pivotal games at the end of the season and featured in most of them, with some very good performances in there as well. In fact, it was his goal that won us the match and started the run.

To compare him to ludicrous. Fair enough if you don't feel he's a legend but in my eyes he's had all the components of a legend. He could of signed for Hull in the Premier League back in the summer of 2009 but he stuck with us and has been through all the highs and lows since 2006. Really he's an icon of post-2008 Leicester.

King was much better in his earlier days when he was more of an attacking threat. Since he got remodelled he's far too often the invisible man. Good servant yeah Legend behave.

He certainly isn't invisible. 

Goes backwards a lot, I'll give you that, but in that way retains the ball very well.

Still not good enough for shanetko though

Personal opinion. Which I am allowed.

He certainly isn't invisible. 

Goes backwards a lot, I'll give you that, but in that way retains the ball very well.

I think the changes made to his game were a real shame. Stifled a lot of what was good about him. 

He's got way more than years of service though and that's obvious.

He scored goals to help us out of League One.

He scored goals for two Championship play-off seasons (and in the come back in Cardiff).

He scored goals to win us the Championship.

Probably most importantly, he scored in two of the pivotal games at the end of the season and featured in most of them, with some very good performances in there as well. In fact, it was his goal that won us the match and started the run.

To compare him to ludicrous. Fair enough if you don't feel he's a legend but in my eyes he's had all the components of a legend. He could of signed for Hull in the Premier League back in the summer of 2009 but he stuck with us and has been through all the highs and lows since 2006. Really he's an icon of post-2008 Leicester.

You make a good argument there.

For me he started off as a superb attacking midfielder with his goal threat. As he developed his all round game he seemed to lose that consistent goal threat. Now he's sort of box to box.

I suppose the term "legend" means different things to different people and you can make a case for many that others might exclude. I'm not averse to others considering him a Leicester legend - but not quite there for me.

Guest CityFan 06

Love him, really nice guy and a quality player. As that video outlines he's scored so many great and important goals for us over the years. Some beauties in there.

He'll be one that most of the current academy and potential academy players will want to aspire to - a player who has seen the club sink into the mud, but successfully helped them to grow towards the sun gradually.

Love him, really nice guy and a quality player. As that video outlines he's scored so many great and important goals for us over the years. Some beauties in there.

Yet he can't get a start for us these days. I just wonder how he'd do if given a chance in the number 10 role for a few games instead of Shinji or Ulloa. He's always delivered and never let us down. Just a thought like

Archived