Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScouseFox

Andy King

It's not, look at Steve Walsh, clubs biggest legend (arguably) one of the worst players of that era in terms of ability, but gave so much more than just ability, and like Izzett was hardly ever dropped because he was just too important to the team.

King as important as he has been for this club will never be seen in the same way as Walsh and Izzett because he has often been dropped.

Like I said, still a legend, just not in the same way.

It's an interesting point about being dropped. Walsh had plenty of bad games but no-one ever doubted his commitment and few would have relished the idea of dropping him cos he might well have dropped them back... as in flat on theirs.

Haha assuming there was no change it would be laughable to have seen how Walsh coped with today's referees. Sometimes he looked so determined he'd have been lucky to get through the captain's handshake let alone all the way til half-time but then there's a good few times when both teams would have been down to five-a-side by then in modern football! :D      

And I sense that the above is all part of what contributes to being a legend - something that makes the player larger than life rather than just a good player.

And of course Kingy is so seemingly mild that he's probably the easiest player to drop as well as the easiest player to occupy with a purpose from the bench cos he's so controlled and so reliable.

And yes. we dropped him for a long time. Most of the way through the period of our rank-bad Premiership results and returned him to the team round about where those results picked up again. Some testament that!

But ironically it is this which writes as strong a case for his being a legend as his unquestioned ability and all those memorable goals which have so served to take us upwards from the lowest depths in our history.

Because in all his time here, and through all his ups and downs, Kingy has given of his utmost for Leicester City both on and off the pitch. Different style to Graham Cross, no question,  but just the same in essence.         

That's a worthy list and represents some outstanding talent. But first of all Davie Gibson was the most skillful and hero-worshipped attacking midfield player whose ever wore a City shirt in the last 60 years.

Walsh was a legend because of our achievements at the time, because he was as good a striker for a time as he was a centre-back and was also the sort of character who had in-your-face battles with a series of top grade attackers and flew the flag for the club like a warrior.

That said he wasn't the best centre-half to ever wear the shirt in my time. Ian King and John Stoberg were better.  

Heskey probably qualifies as a legend but not ahead Graham Cross who played so many games for the club and literally covered himself in mud and glory in doing so.

Cross would emerge with the ball from a ploughed field full of opponents and then do the same time and again. It's strange to compare Gibbo and Cross. I never saw Cross as anything but caked in wet, clinging dirt while Gibson could play in a mudbath and still come out clean!  :D

Weller was never quite a legend by the standards mentioned. Glover maybe but it wasn't just about ability. Glover took on anyone and everyone for Leicester - at top speed and without any apparent doubt that he'd come out on top. The bloke was an inspiration.  

Chandler, Rowley and Sepp Smith should doubtless be on the list and, if you're going to mention Worthington why not Derek Dougan? Okay the latter was only here a short while but he was still as entertaining as anyone who ever graced the Filbert Street mud-patch.

I suppose its hard to define what makes a legend and I'm not going to try.

But Lennon, Izzet and Kingy wouldn't be far apart in their different ways.

Whether that would qualify any of them is subjective but I do know that Davie Gibson would be in there without question and if he's the definitive yardstick, the others would fall a little way short for all that they might still be in the list if it was long enough! :D .

I mentioned only those who I have seen play.

Haha assuming there was no change it would be laughable to have seen how Walsh coped with today's referees. With two bookings equating to a sending off he'd have been lucky to get through the captain's handshake let alone all the way til half-time but then there's a good few times when both teams would have been down to five-a-side by then! :D      

How many times did you have to be booked in a game to be sent off when Walsh played?

King was much better in his earlier days when he was more of an attacking threat. Since he got remodelled he's far too often the invisible man. Good servant yeah Legend behave.

How many times did you have to be booked in a game to be sent off when Walsh played?

i was trying to get over how easily players seem to get booked nowadays, particularly for things like tackling from behind which was never so universally punished.

But, reflecting on the issue it still seems that some players are treated more equally than others. Huth for instance could easily have been sent off twice in recent outings and he's not the only toughie to be treated leniently. Diego Costa's another that comes to mind. With Walsh and his opponent I often got the impression the referees let em get on with it and didn't look too closely. Maybe I'm wrong.     

King was much better in his earlier days when he was more of an attacking threat. Since he got remodelled he's far too often the invisible man. Good servant yeah Legend behave.

He's rarely been invisible when I've watched. Against Palace, for instance, he came on at a time when the team had lost its direction and composure and helped us regain control straight away. Against West Ham in the Cup he was so invisible he was many people's Man of the Match and scored the winner.    

I can't believe I'm reading any dissenting opinion in here.  How ungrateful can you be?

In a world where fans regularly complain about how players jump from club to club in search of a bigger paycheck and where you don't expect players to hang around for more than a few seasons, too bloody right that Andy 'one club' King is an LCFC legend after all he's been through with us.

I would have agreed in the championship, but I think he's really added to his game. I've been pretty critical of him in the past, but I think he contributes and gets stuck in much more.

He's rarely been invisible when I've watched. Against Palace, for instance, he came on at a time when the team had lost its direction and composure and helped us regain control straight away. Against West Ham in the Cup he was so invisible he was many people's Man of the Match and scored the winner.    

I also gave him MOM v West Ham. What the fxxk does that prove?

I can't believe I'm reading any dissenting opinion in here.  How ungrateful can you be?

In a world where fans regularly complain about how players jump from club to club in search of a bigger paycheck and where you don't expect players to hang around for more than a few seasons, too bloody right that Andy 'one club' King is an LCFC legend after all he's been through with us.

Ungrateful?

Complaining about christmas presents or the way someone has cooked your dinner is ungrateful. Failing to get on my knees to suck off a guy who has been largely average for a number of years is merely being honest rather than wearing blue tinted glasses all my life. 

Quite liked this about him on Reddit (sorry if posted already and/or complete bullshit):

Went to school with him. The PE teachers made a rule that he wasn't allowed to score, so he'd just dribble to the goal line and hoof it into the keeper to force an own goal.

I see Andy King as a club legend.

For me, being a legend isn't only about how many goals you've scored, playing in cup finals, scoring worldies etc. It's also about your commitment to the club and your love of the club you are playing for.

Thrac is right. King's stats are comparable to any of our best midfield players. And he's done this making no complaints when he's been dropped and with as much energy every game he's worn the shirt.

For me, King is probably the player who sticks in my mind more than any other over recent times.

He's a legend in my eyes. Always will be.

Ungrateful?

Complaining about christmas presents or the way someone has cooked your dinner is ungrateful. Failing to get on my knees to suck off a guy who has been largely average for a number of years is merely being honest rather than wearing blue tinted glasses all my life.

Wow. 'Largely average' lol

Without a doubt my favourite Leicester city player. I'd consider him a legend, ever present and there's no doubting his commitment to the club. Wouldn't say he's our Gerard because players like that only come along once in a lifetime but he's the closest thing we've had in recent times.

Walsh is a club legend despite most of his achievements for the club being in the lower leagues. I always thought he struggled a bit in the Premier a League and was definitely the 3rd best centre back of that side behind Elliott and Taggart and he's a long way from being our best ever defender in terms of ability, I doubt he'd even make the top 15 - but he always gave his all for the club and went through it all with the club and scored some really vital goals for us at important times.

You could say exactly the same about King tbf. He's been through it all for the club and scored some really important goals for us. Being a club legend isn't just about having the most ability.

That said, I never really saw Heskey as a legend for his on the field play in the same way as the other names mentioned. Yes, he gave money to the club and was a Leicester fan, but I definitely wouldn't say he's a Leicester great on the pitch (same with someone like Birchenall who was a good player who's done a hell of a lot for the club but I personally wouldn't consider him a legend). Not to say he wasn't a good player for us, he was, just not a "top tier" Leicester player for me. Alan Smith for one, was a much better player for us and much more of a club legend in my eyes but never gets mentioned as much. But I guess that shows how subjective it is.

I think most fans appreciate King and his contribution throughout our revival. One of the few bright spots during our dark years languishing in the bottom half of the Championship.

But maybe that's exactly why it could be perceived that he's not "up there" with the Izzets, Lennons, Linekers etc.

Maybe he's just a victim of having played most of his football with us when we've been shíte.

I love that he's still here with us, and contributing, while we're top of the Prem, he's deserved it about as much as anyone.

8 more caps and he will have won the most international caps as a Leicester player, surely doable with some pre-tournament friendlies and a European Championships campaign coming up...

Still not good enough for shanetko though

Archived