Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Terror museum is brilliant. Didn't bother with audio guide either. National museum is good too.

Look at the week pass (or however long you're there) for the public transport; trams, tube, bus all in one and absolutely dirt cheap. So useful for getting about. We had it but still walked about 15 miles every day. We went in September and it was boiling, the island was a nice place for a few hours, music fountain is entertaining for a bit. Parliament looks amazing lit up at night, well just walking down the river with all the bridges lit up etc is nice. Food and drink really cheap and really nice. 

Avoid the burger king in the airport.

Edited by Kopic
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Soup said:

I find hiring cars abroad is getting more and more expensive. It does vary from country to country but the days of £99 for a week are long gone. 

The insurance can be just as much as the daily hire but you can get round this by buying excess insurance. You can get annual polices for around  £50. This means you don't have to take out the full insurance and if you bump the car it will refund any excess the hire firm charge you. 

I've dropped cars off in different cities before but never in another country, I bet this is a reason your finding it expensive. Also I sometimes hire in the city and not at the airport, it's a bit more hassle but you sometimes save a fair bit.

Drop and pick up return on borders.......

5 hours ago, Kopic said:

Terror museum is brilliant. Didn't bother with audio guide either. National museum is good too.

Look at the week pass (or however long you're there) for the public transport; trams, tube, bus all in one and absolutely dirt cheap. So useful for getting about. We had it but still walked about 15 miles every day. We went in September and it was boiling, the island was a nice place for a few hours, music fountain is entertaining for a bit. Parliament looks amazing lit up at night, well just walking down the river with all the bridges lit up etc is nice. Food and drink really cheap and really nice. 

Avoid the burger king in the airport.

6 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

This is spot on. Avoid any night time pool parties. Have a shot of honey palinka (delicious) and a shot of unicum (as disgusting as the name makes it sound). If you end up in any bars offering a carbonated vodka shot then also give that a go, it will make you giddy. I've made it sound like a big piss up city there but whilst it is a great night out, there is plenty more to it than that. Great city with a fascinating history. Locals can often appear stern on first impressions but are frequently very friendly and welcoming so don't be afraid to have a chat.

I hate cryptic holiday tips-  you are an anonymous (well hopefully you do not have mates on here- real life mates that is) internet persona so no harm in sharing further :P

On 04/12/2018 at 01:17, RoboFox said:

If you're going down to the Khao San Road in Bangkok, as a tourist you'll be asked many, many times if you want to see a Ladyboy show.

I think Calypso Cabaret is the most famous. Although, I don't know how good it is. I was too busy being drunk / high on buckets of SangSom Red Bull to bother doing any of the shows.

Just as an FYI (and there will be a few on here who are not in the least surprised... but) i was once on stage and a part of a ladyboy act in Bali.  Shocking :) 

On 03/01/2019 at 01:04, LCFCtotheprem said:

Booked flights for Kuala Lumper in June which will be the start of me travelling round South East Asia. Anyone done anything similar and tips for places to visit?

lol see you there, im there from the 19th>

Have been once before and a few things depending on what you like....

Batu Caves are amazing

The Genting Highlands have (had) a terrific theme park at the top, and there is a wonderful Temple (Chin Swe?) half way down the hill, accessible by a cable car.

There is a fabulous elephant sanctuary where you can help bathe the (rescue) elepahnts.

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Just as an FYI (and there will be a few on here who are not in the least surprised... but) i was once on stage and a part of a ladyboy act in Bali.  Shocking :) 

Which oriphis was compromised? There really is no need to answer that one.

Edited by Costock_Fox

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

lol see you there, im there from the 19th>

Have been once before and a few things depending on what you like....

Batu Caves are amazing

The Genting Highlands have (had) a terrific theme park at the top, and there is a wonderful Temple (Chin Swe?) half way down the hill, accessible by a cable car.

There is a fabulous elephant sanctuary where you can help bathe the (rescue) elepahnts.

Thanks. Yeah seen videos of the Batu Caves and they look amazing. Tbh I’m most excited about the food lol.

8 hours ago, The Blur said:

I hate cryptic holiday tips-  you are an anonymous (well hopefully you do not have mates on here- real life mates that is) internet persona so no harm in sharing further :P

Haha I've got no seedy story to share unfortunately but the water is almost guaranteed to be teeming with jizz and everyone I met who went to one was a bellend.

I mentioned it in the 'Ashtons Journey' thread. I am thinking of travelling to Perth Australia for a conference dedicated to people with my sons condition. Just wondered if there was anyone here who had been to Perth and what they would recommend doing whilst I am there.

The conference is from 10th May until 12th May so I was thinking of getting there around 8th and staying maybe a week or 10 days. Its too expensive to go with the whole family so i'm looking at going it alone.

Luckily I have an old school friend who lives in Perth (30 mins away from the venue funnily enough) so he can put me up whilst I am there.

Ive always wanted to Scuba dive the great barrier reef. Now this isn't going to happen with me being on the opposite side to it :( but im sure there are other Scuba diving spots I could do in Perth.

Any advice would be appreciated

19 hours ago, Frost said:

Off to Budapest with the missus in a couple of weeks, expect it to be chilly but any recommendations? Same goes for Mykonos in the summer. 

19 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

same as always when replying to budapest request - Rudas baths. forget the rest. 

check out the ruin pubs - https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/the-ruin-bars-of-budapest/

spend plenty of time walking - see the castle, the holocaust memorial on the river bank and also check out the terror house if you want to see a nicely curated museum about hungary in WW1/WW2.

food and drink is cheap, so enjoy it. 

great place, you'll have a great time. 

There's a great free walking tour that departs from the square where Hard Rock Cafe is every morning. Definitely the best way to see and learn more about the city.

Margaret Island is a good place for a walk with a musical fountain, nice flowers and animals to look at. Get the tram up there along the river and you get a good view of the Hugarian Parliament too.

19 hours ago, Frost said:

Off to Budapest with the missus in a couple of weeks, expect it to be chilly but any recommendations? Same goes for Mykonos in the summer. 

The wife & I go to the Greek Islands a lot Frost and have been to Mykonos many times, although we only use it now as a necessary evil to get to other Cyclades islands.  If you are staying on Mykonos, my advice would be to stay far away from Mykonos Town - unless you like to hang around with the wealthy 'pretty people' and Chinese and American tourists from the MANY cruise boats.  You'll also need very deep pockets, as everything is a rip off.

It's a shame, because I have spoken to many people on our travels, whose first experience of Greece is Mykonos and they vow not to return to Greece again.

If you have booked already, I'd say - as above - try to stay well away from the town, although it's definitely worth a day visit.  Sorry if I sound negative.  It depends what you want from a holiday.

Mykonos is a great hub to visit other islands and island hopping is really easy, whether you want to go for the day, overnight or longer.  I don't want bore you, but if you want any further info, do let me know.  There is nothing better than sitting on the top deck of a boat, drink an ice cold beer, watching your next destination.  Whatever you do have a good holiday.          

Edited by Vince Vega
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

I mentioned it in the 'Ashtons Journey' thread. I am thinking of travelling to Perth Australia for a conference dedicated to people with my sons condition. Just wondered if there was anyone here who had been to Perth and what they would recommend doing whilst I am there.

The conference is from 10th May until 12th May so I was thinking of getting there around 8th and staying maybe a week or 10 days. Its too expensive to go with the whole family so i'm looking at going it alone.

Luckily I have an old school friend who lives in Perth (30 mins away from the venue funnily enough) so he can put me up whilst I am there.

Ive always wanted to Scuba dive the great barrier reef. Now this isn't going to happen with me being on the opposite side to it :( but im sure there are other Scuba diving spots I could do in Perth.

@ozleicester lives in WA - he may be able to help. 

Or check here:

https://www.perthscuba.com/manta-dive-club/local-diving/

https://www.dolphinscuba.com.au/blog/5-top-dive-locations-around-perth/

There is a pretty cool botanic gardens there, if you want to check out the local flora. 

Edited by Buce

2 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Thanks @Buce

im not too knowledgeable about scuba but there isnt any quite like the great barrier reef here, the closest i imagine is Ningaloo reef, supposed to be amazing, but its a long way (1200 klms) from perth.

There are a couple of wrecks on the perth coast and Rottnest Island offers some options.

Other things to do...Perth is pretty quiet but...

The best beaches and sunsets in the world!

Wave rock is special

The Pinnacles is fabulous

Interesting caves and large trees down south (and great wines apparently)

If you have any questions im more than happy to help :) if i can

We are meant to be heading to Athens in the summer for a friends wedding. Planning to spend a few nights in Athens to see all the sites (will be our first visit) and then hop over to an Island for a bit of time relaxing. Any recommendations for which Greek island to visit? Ideally we would like to stay in a resort type hotel that has sport facilities, and nice options for dinner in the evening. 

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Thanks @Buce

im not too knowledgeable about scuba but there isnt any quite like the great barrier reef here, the closest i imagine is Ningaloo reef, supposed to be amazing, but its a long way (1200 klms) from perth.

There are a couple of wrecks on the perth coast and Rottnest Island offers some options.

Other things to do...Perth is pretty quiet but...

The best beaches and sunsets in the world!

Wave rock is special

The Pinnacles is fabulous

Interesting caves and large trees down south (and great wines apparently)

If you have any questions im more than happy to help :) if i can

Thanks for that

I am actually looking into heading to Sydney and towards the great barrier reef. Booking one way flights to and from the UK cost the same and a flight from Perth to Sydney is approx. £100 so tempted to head to Sydney for like 3 days before heading home. Just means having to find hotel/hostel in Sydney which is extra expense.

May be something I do another time. Cant really afford it all atm so I think a trip to Perth and just stay at my mates rent free is the best solution.

Just now, kingcarr21 said:

Thanks for that

I am actually looking into heading to Sydney and towards the great barrier reef. Booking one way flights to and from the UK cost the same and a flight from Perth to Sydney is approx. £100 so tempted to head to Sydney for like 3 days before heading home. Just means having to find hotel/hostel in Sydney which is extra expense.

May be something I do another time. Cant really afford it all atm so I think a trip to Perth and just stay at my mates rent free is the best solution.

:) Still a LONG way from Syd to the GBR... im guessing another 1000+ Klms

3 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Yea the flight with a stop in Hong Kong was 28 hours :o. Might be something to do in 2 years when the conference is on again

Pity you cant bring the family, Perth is a family friendly place.

On 04/01/2019 at 08:36, Unabomber said:

I am thinking about going to Vancouver this year maybe in April. Has anyone been or have any advice? 

I’ve only ever flew into there and gone to Whistler, Stunning looking city and would recommend spending a day in Whistler as well. The drive between the two is spectacular.

On 04/01/2019 at 03:36, Unabomber said:

I am thinking about going to Vancouver this year maybe in April. Has anyone been or have any advice? 

@biggs and @Molson Canadian live out there i believe according to our member map. Might be best to reach out to them as well to see if they got any info.  Whistler is always a worthy visit.