Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

13 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Anyone know what's the best time of year to go Thailand?

Assuming summer is not great as there's limited flights and not direct. This is for a family relaxing holiday not back packing and touring etc. Thinking maybe Dec for my birthday.

That part of the world December to March is the peak time I think. I’ve never been but looked a few times.

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:48, Paninistickers said:

If anyone likes skiing but can't afford the absurd resort prices....I've been Poland these last three years. 

Cheapo Ryanair flight to Krakow.  Then taxi transfers, lessons, passes, ski hire daily transfer to slopes, hotel and brekky accom about £100 a day - all in.

Beer £1.50 a pop,evening meals £5 a pop! 

Will check this out, remember going to Les Deux Alpes one year and the slopes were closed for 4 out of the 6 days we was there due to snow lol

14 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Assuming summer is not great as there's limited flights and not direct. This is for a family relaxing holiday not back packing and touring etc. Thinking maybe Dec for my birthday.

Summer is monsoon season. 

December will be relatively cool and dry. It starts to get hot and humid around February. 

• Like 1

On 05/12/2018 at 10:29, STEVIE B said:

Off to Egypt (Hurghada) on December 27th, 1 week all inc. Can’t stand the week after Boxing Day, so trying something different. 

On 05/12/2018 at 12:01, Wakeyfox said:

I've been there 3 times in the last 18 months, love it there. Really cheap, great beaches and snorkelling and generally really good people. 

Where are you staying?

How did you get on @STEVIE B ?

@Wakeyfox I'm looking at Sentido Palm Royale later this month. Ever stayed there?

Planning on sitting by the pool, enjoying the all inclusive, and using the gym each day, no excursions, just taking it pretty easy.

18 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

@Wakeyfox I'm looking at Sentido Palm Royale later this month. Ever stayed there?

Planning on sitting by the pool, enjoying the all inclusive, and using the gym each day, no excursions, just taking it pretty easy.

Not been as far South as Soma Bay, but you can't really go wrong with any of the well-rated beach resorts anywhere around there. The service is fantastic if you give them a small tip on the first drink - they just keep on coming!

• Like 1

Anybody have much experience renting cars in Europe? We had one in Greece last year and that was cheap and all worked out fine.

We're trying to get one in Munich and drop it off in Trieste/Venice and we might as well buy a bloody car it's so expensive.

22 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Flying home later. Had a great time, just chilled out by the pool. When the breeze drops it's hot. Cools of at about 4pm, the evenings can be a bit chilly. Enjoy ! 

• Like 1

I constantly have Holidays booked, wife won't give me any restbite. We got back from St Lucia in December and already in January we've got a weekend away at Centre Parcs followed by a week skiing in Italy. THATS JANUARY ALONE!! No wonder I never have money.

Got a long weekend away in Paris is coming up in a couple of weeks. has anyone been over there in the last few weeks, either during or since the riots? I have no intention of cancelling the trip, just wondering if anyone knows if there are any particular areas to avoid, or are the riots and protests randomly spread out throughout the city?

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 21:32, Bayfox said:

November and December are the best times to go temperature wise … a bit cooler and less humid but still warm.

March to May is wetter and very hot and humid.

If you are thinking of going to Bangkok though it's like being in an oven most of the year.

Also stay well clear of Pattaya if you want a nice family holiday … unless your family is very broad minded !!

1 hour ago, Rusko187 said:

I constantly have Holidays booked, wife won't give me any restbite. We got back from St Lucia in December and already in January we've got a weekend away at Centre Parcs followed by a week skiing in Italy. THATS JANUARY ALONE!! No wonder I never have money.

Peaky! Where are you Peaky?

Just now, Frost said:

Off to Budapest with the missus in a couple of weeks, expect it to be chilly but any recommendations? Same goes for Mykonos in the summer. 

same as always when replying to budapest request - Rudas baths. forget the rest. 

check out the ruin pubs - https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/the-ruin-bars-of-budapest/

spend plenty of time walking - see the castle, the holocaust memorial on the river bank and also check out the terror house if you want to see a nicely curated museum about hungary in WW1/WW2.

food and drink is cheap, so enjoy it. 

great place, you'll have a great time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Restbite sounds like some kind of hipster travel blog. 

I was thinking about you, earlier.

I was browsing the free language learning app, Duolingo, this morning and remembered you saying you wanted to learn Greek; do you know it's one of the languages offered?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Buce said:

I was thinking about you, earlier.

I was browsing the free language learning app, Duolingo, this morning and remembered you saying you wanted to learn Greek; do you know it's one of the languages offered?

Cool I'll check it out. 

2 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

same as always when replying to budapest request - Rudas baths. forget the rest. 

check out the ruin pubs - https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/the-ruin-bars-of-budapest/

spend plenty of time walking - see the castle, the holocaust memorial on the river bank and also check out the terror house if you want to see a nicely curated museum about hungary in WW1/WW2.

This is spot on. Avoid any night time pool parties. Have a shot of honey palinka (delicious) and a shot of unicum (as disgusting as the name makes it sound). If you end up in any bars offering a carbonated vodka shot then also give that a go, it will make you giddy. I've made it sound like a big piss up city there but whilst it is a great night out, there is plenty more to it than that. Great city with a fascinating history. Locals can often appear stern on first impressions but are frequently very friendly and welcoming so don't be afraid to have a chat.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ousefox said:

Anybody have much experience renting cars in Europe? We had one in Greece last year and that was cheap and all worked out fine.

We're trying to get one in Munich and drop it off in Trieste/Venice and we might as well buy a bloody car it's so expensive.

I find hiring cars abroad is getting more and more expensive. It does vary from country to country but the days of £99 for a week are long gone. 

The insurance can be just as much as the daily hire but you can get round this by buying excess insurance. You can get annual polices for around  £50. This means you don't have to take out the full insurance and if you bump the car it will refund any excess the hire firm charge you. 

I've dropped cars off in different cities before but never in another country, I bet this is a reason your finding it expensive. Also I sometimes hire in the city and not at the airport, it's a bit more hassle but you sometimes save a fair bit.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
3 hours ago, Frost said:

Off to Budapest with the missus in a couple of weeks, expect it to be chilly but any recommendations? Same goes for Mykonos in the summer. 

It's effectively two different cities, Buda and Pest - the former cultural and beautiful, the latter not so much.

Avoid the seedy bars at night in Pest - we got in a slight bit of bother and the doorman aren't the sort you want to mess with.

Different menus as well for evening where the prices go up, although I've not been for ten years.

Edit: Just seen you said going with the Missus so sure you'll be fine lol

Edited by MattP

3 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

You need the Audio Guide for the House of Terror to get anything out of it imo.

2 minutes ago, martyn said:

You need the Audio Guide for the House of Terror to get anything out of it imo.

mmm, we didn't bother - we just took the documents and read them when necessary but I'm not a fan of audio guides. 

most of the videos / media were played in Hungarian and then English alternately if I remember correctly? 

anyway, great museum either way, I thought.