Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:23, RonnieTodger said:

Thanks mate

We're going from San Diego to San Francisco via L.A. and a few little towns along the way. Definitely doing Big Sur/Highway 1! 

Neither of us have been to America before, but we've had this great opportunity arise and I have some relatives that live in Vallejo. Can't wait.

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:41, Izzy Muzzett said:

You'll love it mate. We did it before we had kids about 20 years ago and it's right up there with the best holiday we've ever had.

Two of my favourite drives were these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Mile_Drive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49-Mile_Scenic_Drive

Have a great time :thumbup:

Sounds like a decent drive.  The west coast is definitely on my hit list having done the whole of Route 66 and a grand tour of New England on a couple of USA road trips. 

Something I've read up on is when doing Highway 1 you're better off going north to south as you'll always have the sea directly on your right, rather than looking at it from the other side of the road travelling from the south to the north.

My road trip(s) were back in the day, 2008 in fact, when it was £1 to $1.75 and pretty much a bargain in terms of travel/food costs.  Even for just over 21 days, coupled with a Ford Mustang it wasn't expensive in the slightest and we even threw in a couple of really decent hotel stops on the way.  How much is it costing these days?  I've now got kids to consider so it wouldn't come cheap!

Have a blast, the USA and driving go hand in hand.  It's cool. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Living the high life.....:D

Traditional Xmas hero....

Is he letting you decorate the chriggy tree??

No mate I just watch and proffer unwanted advice. Pretty handy with the tater peeler though.

12 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Sounds like a decent drive.  The west coast is definitely on my hit list having done the whole of Route 66 and a grand tour of New England on a couple of USA road trips. 

Something I've read up on is when doing Highway 1 you're better off going north to south as you'll always have the sea directly on your right, rather than looking at it from the other side of the road travelling from the south to the north.

My road trip(s) were back in the day, 2008 in fact, when it was £1 to $1.75 and pretty much a bargain in terms of travel/food costs.  Even for just over 21 days, coupled with a Ford Mustang it wasn't expensive in the slightest and we even threw in a couple of really decent hotel stops on the way.  How much is it costing these days?  I've now got kids to consider so it wouldn't come cheap!

Have a blast, the USA and driving go hand in hand.  It's cool. 

I'm afraid we're going South to North!

To be honest, we've been lucky enough to get free or expenses paid accommodation in SD & SF due to family/work connections.

Still looking at the hire car, but I'll be sure to let you know. It's just me and my girlfriend that are going

6 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Just sorted 7 nights in a cabin in the woods in Lapland for Feb for me and the gf. We did this last year in northern Norway, just shut yourself off from the world it's amazing.

I went to Norway and Swedish Lapland a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Have you got a link for the lodge? Would be interested in that.

40 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I went to Norway and Swedish Lapland a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Have you got a link for the lodge? Would be interested in that.

The prices were obviously nuts being Lapland so we went with AirBnB, I'll PM you the cabin.

59 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

The prices were obviously nuts being Lapland so we went with AirBnB, I'll PM you the cabin.

Yeah I know the prices there are mental. I went to the icehotel and won’t tell you how much the overnight dog sled and a night in a wooden lodge cost.

Got the PM just about to have a look cheers.

11 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I'm afraid we're going South to North!

To be honest, we've been lucky enough to get free or expenses paid accommodation in SD & SF due to family/work connections.

Still looking at the hire car, but I'll be sure to let you know. It's just me and my girlfriend that are going

Defo find a Ford Mustang for the trip.  It'll take a couple of suitcases no problem. 

We drove a dark blue convertible Mustang on Illinois plates along 66.  By the time we got to the Grand Canyon, people were having a double take.  Good times.  Pull over here, take a few shots, drive on... lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If anyone likes skiing but can't afford the absurd resort prices....I've been Poland these last three years. 

Cheapo Ryanair flight to Krakow.  Then taxi transfers, lessons, passes, ski hire daily transfer to slopes, hotel and brekky accom about £100 a day - all in.

Beer £1.50 a pop,evening meals £5 a pop! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

What’s Dublin like this time of year?

Cold and wet, pubs are great though.

Has anyone on here been to Kiev?

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Thinking about it next summer, any tips?

Book a Chernobyl tour, go and see the Monastery where the big statue is and there is also a war museum with old tanks and helicopters there which is pretty cool.

I was there when the euros were on so most of my trip was centered around that but I based myself out of there and really enjoyed it. The underground is dirt cheap at about 30p a journey from memory.

The only other tip is do not stay at Hotel Slavutych (google it lol) which is where i ended up.

1 hour ago, STEVIE B said:

Off to Egypt (Hurghada) on December 27th, 1 week all inc. Can’t stand the week after Boxing Day, so trying something different. 

I've been there 3 times in the last 18 months, love it there. Really cheap, great beaches and snorkelling and generally really good people. 

Where are you staying?

2 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

Off to Egypt (Hurghada) on December 27th, 1 week all inc. Can’t stand the week after Boxing Day, so trying something different. 

Planning to go for 2 weeks in Egypt next year, a week in an all exclusive and a week on a boat up the Nile. 

Love the Egyptian antiquity and really looking forward to seeing the pyramids and temples.