Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
richbaggie

Albion Away - 11th April

Will that nutter blonde bird be thrown out again from the home stand?

Just about the only thing that was good in the last game we played there, Good Friday Sky game IIRC.

The chants of 'Mattock is she yours', were funny when she was flapping her arms at the stewards.

My first away game of the season. For my lad's birthday (yes, that's what he asked for.... :o)

What I DO NOT want to see is the baggies boing boing all over the place.

I would have thought a 45yr old would have asked for something other than a footy ticket lol lol

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan (as much as I feel Wasilkewski deserves to be playing, he was good yesterday)

Huth 

Konchesky

King

James

Cambiasso

Vardy

Nugent

Kramaric

Energetic front 3 who could all interchange, any two of them tucking in and doing their defensive duties when we don't have the ball, pace and understanding going forward. I think 3 CMs away from home is a must. Perhaps harsh on Albrighton, although I don't go along with the notion that he was the Messiah yesterday. 

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan (as much as I feel Wasilkewski deserves to be playing, he was good yesterday)

Huth

Konchesky

King

James

Cambiasso

Vardy

Nugent

Kramaric

Energetic front 3 who could all interchange, any two of them tucking in and doing their defensive duties when we don't have the ball, pace and understanding going forward. I think 3 CMs away from home is a must. Perhaps harsh on Albrighton, although I don't go along with the notion that he was the Messiah yesterday.

Agree with this team.. Spot on!

Kasper

DeLaet

Morgan

Huth

Konch

Cambiasso

James

Vardy

Nugent

Schlupp

Kramaric

S: Hamer, Albrighton, King, DD, Mahrez, Ulloa, Wasyl

Not sure if Kramaric would get bullied there but if he has 3 pacey players supporting him then maybe we can do something.

Would be good if City had JEFF written on the back of all our players shirts instead of their own names.

so mr Schlupp, will have 21 mates confusing him totally, wondering why he is being called to pass, even when he doesnt

have the ball.....or it could work out for us, WBA giving the ball away to all the city Jeffs

Schmeichel

De Laet    Huth   Morgan   Schlupp

Cambiasso   James

Albrighton  Nugent   Vardy

Kramaric  

After their sub appearances yesterday Albrighton and Kramaric both have to start in my opinion. The thing that I think will work most in our favour with Kramaric, Nugent and Vardy all playing together is their ability to link up and interchange within their positions which will give us an unpredictable edge going forward. If Pearson can keep Nugent and Vardy performing a that same consistent, highly intense work rate and get Kramaric firing with some decent service then he will have solved many of our frailties in attack. Albrighton deserves to start for his work rate and desire - neither a trait we caught a glimpse of from Mahrez - and some his deliveries which made us look very dangerous. Rest of the team unchanged for a good performance.

As mentioned on Talksport last night, they've been complacent against the teams at the bottom, I can see them stepping up their game next weekend especially after yesterday. Going to be a real tough ask to get anything but there's no reason we can't, aside from Berahino they're nothing special. 

Owned the Post Office in the next village to Jeff and his wife. Was a really genuine guy who loved football and would give anyone the time of day. Always good for a chat about footy and always spoke well of us, heard some fantastic tales about footy in the late 60's and 70's a fitting tribute to a guy who made his WBA debut against us and another 4-2 win for us will do just fine.

Jeff Astle family pay tribute to Leicester City fans at launch of foundation

By atroughton  |  Posted: April 12, 2015

9837852-large.jpg

AMA302605

Comments (0)

The family of former England and West Bromwich Albion star Jeff Astle have praised Leicester City fans after launching a foundation to help sportsmen and women affected by brain injuries.

Dawn Astle paid tribute to the Foxes faithful after she launched the Jeff Astle Foundation, in memory of her father, at the Leicester City versus West Bromwich Albion game this weekend.

Dawn, from Measham, made an emotional speech at half-time about the setting up of the foundation.

She said: "I was nervous about standing up in front of a noisy football crowd but it was fine.

"The Leicester City fans were brilliant. They were so respectful.

"You could have heard a pin drop as I made my speech. "When I finished both sets of supporters applauded. It was very moving."

The foundation is being set up by Jeff Astle's family, most of whom live in Leicestershire, who have been campaigning for football and other sporting bodies to take concussion seriously.

The striker, who scored the winner for the Baggies in the 1968 FA Cup final and was part of the 1970 England World, Cup squad, died in 2002 aged 59.

He was wrongly diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease but tests on brain tissue preserved by scientists, last year, confirmed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a disease normally associated with boxers.

Members of the family were VIP guests at the Hawthorns on Saturday.

Dawn said the family were touched by the special tributes to her father on the day.

West Brom played a reproduction of their all-white 1968 FA Cup Final strip.

As the team came out of the tunnel they were featured on the big screen then it switched to footage of the 1968 team coming out onto the pitch at Wembley.

Part of the match programme was dedicated to Jeff and on the ninth minute, Baggies fans held up card spelling out his name.

A bucket collection was held at the ground and the retro West Brom kit is to be auctioned off to raise money for the foundation.

In 1964 Jeff Astle signed for West Brom for a fee of £25,000 and made his debut for the Baggies against Leicester City at Filbert Street.

Of his 174 goals in 361 games for West Brom, the most notable was probably the only goal in the 1968 FA Cup final.

That goal enabled him to complete the feat of scoring in every round of the competition.

Two years later, Astle scored in Albion's 2–1 defeat by Manchester City in the League Cup final, becoming the first player to score in the finals of both of the major English cup competitions at Wembley.

In 1969–1970 Astle was the leading scorer in Division One with 25 goals.

In 1970, he was called up to the England squad for the World Cup finals tournament in Mexico.

He won the first of his five caps, as a substitute, when England were a goal down against eventual champions Brazil.

In subsequent years his fitness deteriorated through repeated injuries, and in 1974 he left Albion to join the South African club Hellenic.

His final bow came with a brief spell at the English non-league side Dunstable Town FC where he teamed up with the legendary former Manchester United star George Best.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Jeff-Astle-family-pay-tribute-Leicester-City-fans/story-26320286-detail/story.html?#ixzz3X7baZVmZ 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Weren't they slagging off the Leicester fans in the reverse fixture? lol

Edit: Apparently so according to a handful of posters in this thread. At least this fixture we respected Astle, even if they failed to respect the minutes silence for Remembrance Day back in November

:whistle:

Nice to read considering some of the bollocks I've read on Twitter about how disrespectful we apparently were.

Why was it 'Astle King' and not the other way round? Might be missing something but it makes no sense?

Nice to read considering some of the bollocks I've read on Twitter about how disrespectful we apparently were.

Why was it 'Astle King' and not the other way round? Might be missing something but it makes no sense?

A tribute to two legends, Jeff Astle ( who missed an absolute sitter for England in the 1970 world cup, you let your country down), and the legend that is Andy King. Thats how I read it anyway, although I could be wrong.

Archived