Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. PSG..

Just now, foxhateram said:

Love the way even after last season, people are harping on about how you need to buy big money signings to compete.  Get over that notion. It is something that will be fizzling away over the next few years. As clubs will be searching for talent and young hungry players, much like we did last season.

We have lost our best player, we now have Champions league and all those clubs can field two maybe three different teams, we can't do that and you actually need to spend money to manage to do so.

Need to realise that a lot of our effectiveness is due to our intensity of performance. At this stage of preseason in a warm environment against a technically superb outfit - what did we expect? 

Like i is said on the other thread - Wednesday will reveal a similar outcome. Not as warm though. the boys will take this experience forward into the CL. it's useful despite what many of you think. 

One thing I want to see is Kasper rolling the ball out. We can't keep kicking it aimlessly long, especially in Europe. We're literally just giving the ball back to quality players.

This time a year ago Chelsea played PSG and the Barca and drew with both. We'd just come off a draw with Mansfield and then struggled to beat Burton, Rotherham and then Birmingham. If you'd looked at those results, one team matching two of the best teams in Europe whilst another scraped wins against League one and championship sides, who'd would you have expected to have the better season once things got competitive?

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

We have lost our best player, we now have Champions league and all those clubs can field two maybe three different teams, we can't do that and you actually need to spend money to manage to do so.

We have spent money though. Musa, Mendy, Zieler and Hernandes have all arrived over the pre season and we have also committed our best players to long term futures here. All of which has cost us. 

Kante was amazing for us last season. But you have to also remember that Drinky was also. Mendy will grow and i am sure kingy and James will also step up again. 

Musa showed some signs of class and he is rapid in pace. Ulloa also showed some signs of doing what he does best, i really think Vardy and Musa together could be very deadly. 

We missed our high oressure closing game yesterday, something we always miss when there is no Okazaki and Vardy. Claudio will sort it. In Claudio we trust.

3 minutes ago, foxhateram said:

Kante was amazing for us last season. But you have to also remember that Drinky was also. Mendy will grow and i am sure kingy and James will also step up again. 

Kante was very different to the others though. Real box to box, energetic. I've not seen enough of Mendy and Amartey (when in midfield) to judge or compare but the current players (Drinkwater, King, James) certainly can't do what Kante could.

At the minute that is a worry for me.

18 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

It was a friendly!

we've had a season of absolutely outstanding results and to some extent we have been spoilt. We have this underlying belief we should steam roll every team which we play. 

PSG have spent the last few years building a super team. They have a selection of class players to choose and experience to go with it. This result isn't all doom and gloom but another learning curve for the team, the staff and Claudio. Think Arsenal last year, 6-2.

if we do go into a champions league game against a team with similar quality with Shinji and Ulloa upfront than we will get steamed rolled. 

I am glad it's a meaningless friendly where we have suffered such a defeat rather than the real thing. We live, we learn and we go again. Small tweaks not a massive overhaul. Simply to adapt. 

Who has this "underlying belief" you mention?

I have the belief that you can never be sure of beating anyone but that you continue trying to improve whatever level you reach.

At the moment we've reached the Champions League and adapting to playing (and winning) at that level - with all it entails - is the challenge facing us.

Either we recognise problems and try to fix them or we make excuses and simply enjoy a temporary moment or two in the sun.  

I think 

1 minute ago, foxhateram said:

We have spent money though. Musa, Mendy, Zieler and Hernandes have all arrived over the pre season and we have also committed our best players to long term futures here. All of which has cost us. 

Musa showed some signs of class and he is rapid in pace. Ulloa also showed some signs of doing what he does best, i really think Vardy and Musa together could be very deadly. 

We missed our high oressure closing game yesterday, something we always miss when there is no Okazaki and Vardy. Claudio will sort it. In Claudio we trust.

I just feel we need more, another striker and box to box midfielder would be a great start. People shouldn't compare this to a pre season against lower league opposition, a lot of people spent money to see this and wanted something and it seems anything beyond our first eleven is relegation fodder in my view. We need depth to compete now

10 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I remember Newcastle being relegated

You remember them being relegated the season they lost 6-1 to Leyton Orient and won the Championship with 102 points?

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Half way around the world for that.

:nigel:

Exactly, it isn't acceptable, can people stop comparing this to a standard pre season against lower opposition. Money was spent and there was better expectations than being rolled over easily. This exposed us, we need strength in depth, you need to be able to field several teams at this level 

Just finished watching the catch up.

I don't think we were that bad.

PSG were just frickin awesome and City were a bit rusty and playing unfamiliar line ups.

Anyone taking that too seriously needs to have a word with themselves.

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

They haven't done anything for years... and always look poor when in the PL

I'm sorry I thought you were foolishly suggesting that friendlies can somehow tell you how well a side is going to perform in the league. I should have realized we were just making random irrelevant statements about Newcastle, aren't they rubbish.

Didn't watch the game, but wow - some of the reactions on here are ridiculous. It's our THIRD game of pre season! PSG are a game ahead in their preparations, have already beaten Inter and Real convincingly, are of the best teams in the world currently, and have spent a fortune building a very talented squad with bags of Champions League experience. 

By contrast this was only our third game having played Oxford and Celtic (hardly the world's finest), with a squad which has been built on a shoestring, a team containing 5/6 players who are either new or do not play regularly, and we were missing our top goalscorer.

I'm not making excuses, but it really is too early to judge how we'd perform in the Champions League based on this result alone. No doubt we'll see a similar score against Barcelona, but it's important that we don't focus on the scoreline. It really is irrelevant in pre-season. I'd much rather us get tonked by PSG now and learn from the experience whether that be tactically or in terms of recruitment than see a similar scoreline in the Champions League because we were had drawn or beaten them by a narrow margin in a friendly and underestimated their capabilities. Given the character of our players I really can't see this happening in the Champions League. They're an honest bunch who'll ask more of each other and if any of the new recruits aren't quite up to the standard expected I'm sure they'll be told by the senior player's of the group to up their game.

4 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

They haven't done anything for years... and always look poor when in the PL

You're kinda missing his point there fella...

Just now, toddybad said:

You're kinda missing his point there fella...

I get the point, pre-season is about fitness and trying stuff , it can bring up the odd result but this was an opportunity to make a statement, we didn't do that and for me it highlighted a lack of strength in depth. I wouldn't go into the season knowing there aren't at least 18-20 players capable of competing at the very highest level. We lost Kante and there isn't really a replacement we also require another top striker, because Ulloa and Okazaki just won't cut it.

42 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Friendly or not you should still be able to admit they were far superior to us . It was just my opinion .  I would say P.S.G are in the top four world class teams at the moment  . So although it was not really a surprise to lose to them I just did not think the gap would be so wide.  As I said I think it was a nasty reality check that's all.

I'd be looking at things like their coaching, their speed of ball control and their balance as a group in moving backwards and forwards. 

For me it was thrilling to watch and not least because I was expecting so much of what they did and they didn't disappoint as, for instance, England so often do.

Several times I thought, "One touch, one touch, instant cross," and that's exactly what they delivered. So simple in concept but seemingly so difficult to achieve in an English environment.

Not only that but notice the precision and variety of PSG's final pass. And the pace and movement up front of Cavani.

Then think about Leicester and ask yourself did we ever cross the ball properly or dangerously? Did anyone make meaningful off-the-ball movement in potentially dangerous places? Does Albrighton have the first idea how to shoot? Did we play cohesively as a unit?

There is so much to improve on yet none of it is impossible.

We're contemplating a game we lost 4-0 after a day when we could and should have scored four times ourselves - and that's just to mention easy chances. Were we overawed? It seems so. Because for all their brilliance we shouldn't have finished that far in arrears.

Indeed our own shortcomings contributed much to the outcome, including their goals. 

What it did illustrate though was that at Champions League level, mistakes are likely to be even more costly than in the Premiership. 

And any weakness will be exploited.    

You learn more from defeat than victory. Like or not, that's the truth. And we learnt a bucketload in that. The worst type of friendly you can have is 0-0.

Can see us playing 3 midfield in Europe for sure. We have to avoid the back four being exposed.  

Better result to have now when it means nothing. 

Archived