Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. PSG..

So remembering it's a friendly, and nothing concrete can be taken from it, I think

1. Mendy and Amartey doesn't work as a pairing. We miss the passing ability of a king or Drinky in midfield rather than two workers. 
  2. Thought on a whole the back four looked more solid with Simpson, but Hernandez looked like he could be able cover.
  3. Would like to see Musa start against Barca, he needs to improve his sharpness by the time the season starts.
  4. Grey is going to be scarily good.

Never mind. It was probably a good workout for the players but it wasn't the ideal end to what looked like a great week for them in southern California.

At the end of the day, though, it's a friendly and there were some positives to take. We were nowhere near 100% by the way. There's a long way to go before the Hull game, and PSG have been excellent this pre-season.

We'll do them 1-0 at the Parc des Princes in the CL 2nd round :thumbup:

PSG, Barcelona, Man Utd.

At least by the time we play Hull, it will feel like we're playing Oadby Town.

Games against teams like PSG are always going to be a lesson.  Better we learn these lessons now than when the games actually mean something.

Well that wasn't great was it.

I'm of the opinion friendlies are all about fitness forget the performance (Although it's nice to see one) and result (Although it's nice to win them), purely fitness, but even from a fitness aspect, it wasn't great, we looked good last week, lively and near peak fitness considering we were only 2 games in and Celtic we 7 or 8, but today not so lively and fit, I guess you could put it down to the heat possibly if you're look for excuses.

We move on, i'm not too concerned, it's a shame we lost by 4, but it was a friendly. If we play like that next weekend against Man Utd i'll be quite concerned, but we'll wait and see.

Oooh, one thing I will say after seeing Musa playing bit parts of games, he doesn't look too convincing (I'll give him time, and competative matches before making proper judgement) but more of a concern I don't see the claims that he is "as fast, or faster" than Vardy.

Friendly is a friendly, PSG had beaten Inter & Real 3-1, losing 4-0 is disappointing but not the end of the world. They've played all three games in America as well, we've only played one, it was obviously too hot for us.

Few pointers though...

Mendy is not the type of midfielder you play in a two

Okazaki with Ulloa is a no no

We need another goalscorer

It's our third game - previous two against Oxford and celtic

psg have just beaten inter and real in the past seven days

as was evident last season, we are a bit light up top. If we are happy to be 7/10th then we can stick with Leo. If we really believe we can be top 4 again and make a fist of defending out title then we need to improve on him. that's the reality. Imagine if vards is injured? 

Anyway, Wednesday night will be more of the same and let's hope the boys are on it next Sunday. 

Pre season games mean very little, although the players didn't seem happy.

Its a shame we didn't score but at least Mahrez was quiet so hopefully other clubs interest could cool. PSG looked good and

were sharper than us.

As others have said I think we could do we a bit more quality, Rondon up top plus Lassana Diarra would be nice.

Well, that wasn't what I hoped for.

Still think we look quite rusty to be honest. I don't think we should've lost that game 4-0. PSG displayed the kind of ruthlessness in that game that won us the league, that was missing tonight from us.

There are a couple of concerns for me. Most notably is that we do miss the key cog in what made our pretty unique system last season so effective. I'm surprised we haven't at least experimented with a 4-3-3 at some point given that Mendy and Musa look a lot more suited to that than 4-4-2.

We looked pretty knackered too but I suppose it's got to be taken as a taster session. Regardless of what some will tell you this is as mickey mouse as it gets and it's a good chance for us to get a bit more savvy about what we could be facing without us having any real repercussions.

But when it really boils down to it, it was the kind of side we'd put out in the cup playing against one of the best sides in the world who've just beaten Real Madrid equally as comfortably.

Not a good night for us but I'll not be too worried until I see that happening to us competitively.

Now just brace yourselves for the flurry of Arsenal fans using this result to justify Mahrez going there. That's one plus I suppose - that we can laugh at them.

Amazing how you can win the league and go undefeated for half a year then as soon as you lose a friendly you're written off as "one season wonders"

Yes we were shite tonight, but I'm certain the performance against united in a weeks time will be very different.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Well that wasn't great was it.

I'm of the opinion friendlies are all about fitness forget the performance (Although it's nice to see one) and result (Although it's nice to win them), purely fitness, but even from a fitness aspect, it wasn't great, we looked good last week, lively and near peak fitness considering we were only 2 games in and Celtic we 7 or 8, but today not so lively and fit, I guess you could put it down to the heat possibly if you're look for excuses.

We move on, i'm not too concerned, it's a shame we lost by 4, but it was a friendly. If we play like that next weekend against Man Utd i'll be quite concerned, but we'll wait and see.

When developing fitness in preseason your most likely going to be looking off the pace, the accumulation of fatigue from training and then the match is expected. Be concerned if we go into August 13th and we are off it.

34 minutes ago, Mezeker said:

United, M City, Chelsea are all currently better than them and will be this season.

That's quite presumptuous. PSG were a mile better than anything we faced last year. Movement on a completely different level.

Absolutely think this game solidified the need for us to get one more striker and an attacking midfielder.

Some positives. Grey was good, Hernandez looked her solid and Chilwell showed glimpses of why he is going to be very good one day.

Hopefully this will be a good reality check for everyone. It will be a tough season but I have faith in the team.

Archived