Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bryn

Charlton Athletic (a) Pre Match + Starting XI

Great win yesterday on a hot humid day. I thought one or two of the players looked a little leggy towards the end, they've played 3 games in quick succession now and I think our squad size comes into play on Tuesday night. It will also be interesting to see if Pearson employs a slightly different game plan for away fixtures. His interview yesterday suggested not.

Charlton Athletic

Last time out - Birmingham City 1-1 Charlton

Hamer

Solly Morrison Cort Wiggins

Pritchard Hollands Stephens Jackson

Wright-Phillips Kermorgant

They were able to dominate possession away to Birmingham and almost nicked the win. I wonder if they'll be able to control possession like Peterborough, but with more of a cutting edge. Tough game this.

For us, surely Andy King has played his way into contention. I thought Matt James looked off the pace in any case. Liam Moore must be feeling the strain of playing so many high level games but with noone to come in will probably retain his place. I think I'd fancy Nugent's work rate in place of Beckford; I've never bought into the idea of not changing a winning team. I'd go with;

Schmeichel

de Laet Morgan Moore Konchesky

Marshall King Drinkwater Dyer

Vardy Nugent

But I wouldn't be surprised, or disappointed, if he kept Beckford in there.

Hopefully we can nick a 2-1 win.

Although Andy King and Liam Moore may have enhanced Pearson's headache, it's the same team for me (unless someone is injured or suspended). Don't really see the point in changing it, especially when I thought James was excellent in midfield. Therefore, I'd go for:

Schmeichel

De Laet -- Morgan -- Moore -- Konchesky

Marshall -- James -- Drinkwater -- Dyer

Vardy -- Beckford

Subs: Whitbread (if fit), King, Danns, Waghorn, Schlupp, Knockaert, Nugent

I think we can win at The Valley, no doubt about it... My prediction is Charlton 0-1 Leicester (Vardy).

Thought Matty James did a super job defensively, but came off early as he had been ill. This may hinder his chances of starting on Tuesday. Pearson stated on RL that he intends to play the same team wherever possible, unless fatigue or dip in form.

I think the team will be

Schmeichel

De Laet Moore Morgan Konchesky

Marshall Drinkwater Danns Dyer

Nugent Beckford

Subs

Vardy (as he ran his socks off on saturday and may be a bit leggy) Futacs (if fit, if not Waghorn), Schlupp, Knockaert, King, James, Logan

PS Prediction - Gallagher and Waghorn to leave by 31st August

CHRIS Powell admits he is looking forward to Tuesday evening’s meeting with former club Leicester City at The Valley.

The former England defender ended his hugely successful playing career with the Foxes before going on to join the coaching staff, first under Nigel Pearson and then Sven Goran-Eriksson.

Powell left the King Power Stadium in January 2011 to take up his first permanent managerial role at The Valley and the Addicks chief can’t wait to lock horns with Pearson - who has since returned for a second spell in charge - on Tuesday evening.

He said: “Leicester is a big game for me personally, as well as Michael Morrison and Yann Kermorgant.

“We will be ready and I want our fans to turn up in good heart, in good voice and look for us to build on today’s performance.

“My mentor Nigel Pearson is someone I know well and I really like the way he is and the way he manages.

“I’ve always said that I’ve taken quite a few bits from him in my own management style, but of course I’m me.

“It is going to be a tough game, a bit like today but we’ve got to make sure we are ready for it and I’ll make sure the boys will be.”

Think this will be a really tough game and a good indicator of how the squad has changed from last year. If we win the midfield battle and stifle the service to their front two we will have a good chance. Maybe Danns will start

Good post.

We need to get our front two in also.

I'd probably make one change. Although I have absolutely no problems with the same 11 starting.

Danns in for James.

Danns's extra energy in midfield could be vital away from home.

I would agree, I also think our lack of back to back wins last season is partly due to teams knowing what to expect as Pearson often puts the same team out after a win instead of the best team to play the opposition. I can't see James or King being much help in a midfield battle, although Charlton play a similar 442 so we might be alright.

One change for me, even though I thought Dyer had a good game, I really liked Knockaert and with his skill he could make some cracking balls I think! Put him on the right with Marshall on the left and they both can cut inside and have shots.

Schmeichel

De Laet -- Morgan -- Moore -- Konchesky

Knockaert -- James -- Drinkwater -- Marshall

Vardy -- Beckford

Subs: Logan, King, Danns, Waghorn, Schlupp, Dyer, Nugent

After the win yesterday the old saying don't change a winning team comes to mind. I would stick with the same team, maybe swapping Dyer for Knockaert. I feel that we can't be judging him on the back of a 20min performance, which was still good, he'll need 90 or 70 mins to get to grips with the hustle and bustle of championship football and not against some tired legs.

The team;

Kaspar

RDL

Morgan

Moore

Konch

Knockaert

James

Drinkwater

Marshal

Vardy

Beckford

Logan, Whitbread (if fit), Dyer, King, Nugent, Schlupp, Waghorn

I thought the way we set up on saturday was close to being perfect for a tough away fixture. Perhaps the 'back 6' need to push up a little more than they did first half yesterday but that's about it.

Given that we will most likely be playing 4-4-2 there is little else that needs to be done. Depending on how the players react to yesterday's exertions I would change as little as possible....... :thumbup:

Personally I would like to see us develop a 4-5-1 system away from home, set up specifically to give Marshall (and maybe Knockeart too) the freedom to orchestrate our counter attacks. not going to happen though...... :whistle:

GK. Schmichael

RB. De Laet

CB. Moore

CB. Morgan

LB. Konchesky

CDM. Drinkwater

RM. Knockaert

LM. Marshall

CAM. King

ST. Beckford

ST. Nugent

Subs: Logan, Kennedy, James, Vardy, Dyer.

Nugent and Beckford are very good together tbh, they became a strong strike force last season. I do like Vardy but I'd like to see them together again. I think Knockaert is just better than Dyer. Also, Dyer is a good impact sub to have. King scored a good goal yesterday and I've always rated him. He's more likely to get us a goal than James. I think Drinkwater is a good passer and can pull the strings playing in the CDM role.

Archived