Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SWFC_FAN

Jamie Vardy

He doesn't strike me as a footballer.

He can't pass, head or dribble but he can finish.

I think he could play alright with a big man up top.

He's fast and works his bollocks off too. 

He's been unfortunate, started off ok, certainly works hard and scored a couple of goals. Then he got injured, never found his way back into the team properly so naturally started struggling and his confidence was shot. What people expect him to do in a couple of 10 minute cameos, I'm not entirely sure. If he plays regularly he'll get a few goals with the right service, and do a lot of work for the benefit of the team but he probably won't pull up any trees

Even when he was in the side he showed signs of being way out of his depth as a goalscorer, and technically in all aspects as well. His only real trait is hard work, which was fine when everyone else was playing well and we were playing some great team football, but his weaknesses are highlighted when the matches are tighter.

But as an individual he's just a poor player at this level. I don't think he's shown any real potential, and he's 26 now isn't he? Not only did he not nail down a place last season (and if you'll remember correctly, people said we needed better than him even in October when we were winning) but he couldn't even come on as a sub later in the season. I always thought Waghorn looked better.

He doesn't strike me as a footballer.

He can't pass, head or dribble but he can finish.

I think he could play alright with a big man up top.

He's fast and works his bollocks off too. 

Based on what? He never looked a confident finisher last season, in fact he missed numerous chances. Like I said, they didn't get highlighted that much in September/October because we were doing well as a team.

I remember the Hull game at home for example, we should have won about 6 or 7 nil and Vardy wasted at least 3 huge chances. Fortunately Nugent bagged a hat-trick.

Guest MattP

To be fair I think it's harsh to knock Pearson for Vardy.

Virtually every club in the Championship with a few quid wanted him last summer and half of those were managed by the Freedmans, Mackays and Hollowys etc who everyone now gushes about.

Loan would suit all parties, I think. Been nigh on impossible to form a definitive opinion on him considering he was adjusting to this level when he joined and seemed unfit for the latter part of the season. Out of position, ten minute cameos from the bench when returning from an injury isn't really ever going to send off a good impression for a player who's a centre forward. Granted his finishing was rusty but the amount of chances and space he made for others was often invaluable. Nuge definitely benefited.

Worthy of another chance, for me. I'd like to see him farmed out to another Champ club.

Another potentially bizarre decision.

Pearson goes and gets a young striker, pays handsomely for him and now the rumour is he may be available to go out on loan.

This looks, to me, like yet more money wasted.

Vardy ain't a kid anymore. If this happens it will be likely he'll eventually get sold.

Vardy ain't Beckford or Danns.. He was a Pearson signing... And, by the looks of it, a mistake.

I presume the Pearsonites will find some argument for this being a good thing (waits with baited breath)... But I can't see anything positive in it.

I hear what you're saying Col when you consider his age. I think though given the big jump from Conference to Championship level you are in fact starting your career again. A years loan out to a team he'd hopefully be playing regularly for would only benefit us. The same way that SAF got the benefits of loaning players out to us on a seasons deal. 

SWFC_FAN: Vardy is a pretty good player - certainly not the best in any way but really hard working and gets the team attacking more frequently.

Take no notice of the miserable old gits. Most of us were soured during our bad run of form and failure in the playoffs (which Vardy had nothing to do, having barely played any match minutes since January when we were 2nd in the league) and all they remember is a foolish penalty that Vardy gave away. Conveniently forgetting that several of our players gave away silly penalties this season.

And why on earth do you think that is?

I like to speak in the moment.

The club, latter half of last season, went on one of its longest winless runs ever. We then failed in the play offs against a pretty average Watford/Udinese side.

We also saw Wood become dreadful, Marshall become impotent and, despite it being clear to anyone who wanted to see, the young Defender become out of his depth.

Now, it seems, we are probably going to let Vardy go out on loan.

If you can give me much to shout and sing about re. Pearson at present then I'll listen.

Personally, over the past few months, think there's been more reservations to speak about than praise to donate to Pearson.

The only real shining light was James. And if you look in the 'best outfield player' thread, you'll see that he is a player who excites me.

To brand my posts in with those of DT is ridiculous. And shows to me you're not reading them.

Finally if you don't consider that Kane was a 'dross signing' then I give in.

We are not going through Pearson's pros and cons and evaluating last season again because you won't take any of the pros on board and will just ignore them as per.

And you CLEARLY aren't reading my posts, because I told you in our last discussion that I agree that Kane sucks, not that there was any reason to bring him up there anyway, because we weren't talking about him at all! This is why you are sinking fast, repeating the same tired and irritating rubbish, and not giving any consideration to the comments of others. Read other people's posts for god's sake.

What signings has he made that are dross? I can only really think of Futacs & Whitbread?

Futacs and Whitbread. We are fast becoming a team of no name invisible players much like the years under Pleat. The players signed are average with Drinkwater, Marshall, De Laet joining aforementioned Futacs Whibread and also Vardy, possibly Wood and loan failure Kane as evidence that Nige and his staff are getting it more wrong than right. Still when we have an invisible team in mid table at least we should win FFP suck ups of the year award

We are not going through Pearson's pros and cons and evaluating last season again because you won't take any of the pros on board and will just ignore them as per.

And you CLEARLY aren't reading my posts, because I told you in our last discussion that I agree that Kane sucks, not that there was any reason to bring him up there anyway, because we weren't talking about him at all! This is why you are sinking fast, repeating the same tired and irritating rubbish, and not giving any consideration to the comments of others. Read other people's posts for god's sake.

I give in

You ain't listening

Ignore I think...

SWFC_FAN: Vardy is a pretty good player - certainly not the best in any way but really hard working and gets the team attacking more frequently.

Take no notice of the miserable old gits. Most of us were soured during our bad run of form and failure in the playoffs (which Vardy had nothing to do, having barely played any match minutes since January when we were 2nd in the league) and all they remember is a foolish penalty that Vardy gave away. Conveniently forgetting that several of our players gave away silly penalties this season.

No actually people just remember that he wasn't very good, and that they were saying he wasn't very good even when Leicester were playing very good.

Not trying to start a Pearson debate but in 3 full seasons he's achieved a league title & entered the play-offs twice. 

Not bad going really, eh? 

Think Vardy is a League One striker at best as well.

Futacs and Whitbread. We are fast becoming a team of no name invisible players much like the years under Pleat. The players signed are average with Drinkwater, Marshall, De Laet joining aforementioned Futacs Whibread and also Vardy, possibly Wood and loan failure Kane as evidence that Nige and his staff are getting it more wrong than right. Still when we have an invisible team in mid table at least we should win FFP suck ups of the year award

Gotta disagree with you here. Drinkwater was excellent until he burned out when we turned crap in Feb. De Laet was probably in my top 3 players last season- he will only get better. Marshall was a disappointment but I think that's down to his age and lack of confidence. Big season for him coming up. Wood scored for fun until he badly injured his knee. He then played the rest of the season half fit so it's no wonder he was average at best. Does Kane count?? Pearson loaned him having not probably seen much of him. Could still go on to be a good player. Doubtful Spurs would give him a long contract if he were useless. I thought he looked decent when played upfront but mostly he was played out of position. Vardy yep- jury out and I'd lean towards saying he's not good enough.

Don't forget othe signings Pearson has made- Morgan, James, Knockaert would all get into any side in this division.

Gotta disagree with you here. Drinkwater was excellent until he burned out when we turned crap in Feb. De Laet was probably in my top 3 players last season- he will only get better. Marshall was a disappointment but I think that's down to his age and lack of confidence. Big season for him coming up. Wood scored for fun until he badly injured his knee. He then played the rest of the season half fit so it's no wonder he was average at best. Does Kane count?? Pearson loaned him having not probably seen much of him. Could still go on to be a good player. Doubtful Spurs would give him a long contract if he were useless. I thought he looked decent when played upfront but mostly he was played out of position. Vardy yep- jury out and I'd lean towards saying he's not good enough.

Don't forget othe signings Pearson has made- Morgan, James, Knockaert would all get into any side in this division.

Debatable he is a talent granted but he hasn't yet established himself as one of the best championship central midfielders.

I still think he could make it at this level. He had a fairly poor season but to be honest he was hardly used after Christmas and if you disect his performances in the early part of the season he had some good games. His lack of confidence in front of goal for a player who'd scored over 30 goals the season previous surprised me, but he obviously felt the pressure of the step up. Pearson needs to earn his crust by getting Vardy to shine at this level, I think the ability is in there and it's about time Nigel got the best out of a erratic player.

I give in

You ain't listening

Ignore I think...

You've put up a good argument and personally I think you've been more than fair to NFP with your assessments and being happy to give him another season.

You're wasting your time with the Pearsonites though,  they don't want to listen, I honestly think most of them are more likely to have a poster of Pearson on their wall than one of the team.

Of course as soon as he goes they'll all be claiming that they always thought he was a poor manager, the same as they do when a player leaves.

Hmmm - so you disagree whilst generally agreeing but with some excuses for them being poor.

Kane was used many times to little effect towards the end of the season while Vardy, Futacs, Waggy etc were ignored so Nige must think he is better than them???

Knocky is a good signing but needs a good coach to train him to pass a bit more and not just run into trouble all the time.

James is becoming the new star on here but in the 8 or 9 full games I saw in the last quarter of the season he seems to fade in and out and is not a midfield leader - again, we may have to wait to see but I doubt he would have got in the Cardiff side.

So Morgan is about the best signing and the only one of Nige's team that other teams seem to want.

By all means buy cheap talent but you have to nurture it to become more talented, not snuff its talent out.....not enough players becoming better for me

I've seen oil tankers turn quicker than Morgan, he's had a good season for us although mistakes were happening towards the end (probably due to Keane) but he'd need replacing should we go up, he'd get crucified in the premier.

Edited to add that he was rightfully player of the season.

Archived