Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Why do we always mess around with transfers?

It seems like every single player we've been after we seem just to bid a considerable amount under the asking price. We also just show an interest in a player but never really follow it up with a bid. Players like Slimani and Musa who we've shown an interest in for 2+ years but we've not bidding the asking price, I just don't understand why we would want to save a couple million quid when we're the champions of England. In the summer why didn't we just give Burnley an offer the simply couldn't refuse for Keane and also the same with Brady? If we want a player surely we should make sure we get that player. The same is happing this window with Acerbi as we've had two bids rejected. Why don't we just give them what they want because it's hardly like we're short of money. I don't know how the transfers work in the club as I'm not involved but some of the things we do in the transfer window just baffle and frustrate me, we just seem to have a small club mentality when it comes to transfers. 

24 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah we will never win anything with this approach.

When we only have 3 Premier League registered, natural central defenders and their combined age totals 101 I think we might need to make a quick buy. 

5 minutes ago, gcxttle said:

When we only have 3 Premier League registered, natural central defenders and their combined age totals 101 I think we might need to make a quick buy. 

I think the most important think to do, is panic. Just stick huge bids in for all central defenders currently playing in the Premier league, can't be worse than what we currenly have.

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I think the most important think to do, is panic. Just stick huge bids in for all central defenders currently playing in the Premier league, can't be worse than what we currenly have.

Not quite like that, maybe do a bit of reasearch first and pick your targets. 

It's difficult is why. A great example of how tough it can be was Man United when Fergie left and Woodward was running behind the scenes. Moyes wanted Fabregas and Kroos but ended with Fellani for £28m. These days they can get the signings they want but prices paid for DiMaria and Pogba suggest they are getting mugged. 

Don't get me wrong, we are a mess and recruitment post title win will be called out for years as a missed opportunity (it was!). But running the club properly and not being held to random is vital.

The Ndidi signing is exciting and something we should do more of - sign hungry players with the obvious talent to make an impact. I don't believe we should make marquee signings that turn out to be big time Charlies. 

I think our view of how we handle transfer is based far to much on rumours for any fan to make a serious judgement on how good or bad we are.

I agree that last summer was a miss opportunity, but there was a very fine line between getting it right and wrong. After our title our stature would have increased with CL and players actually wanting to come. However, I get the impression that the owners are very sensible and financially savy people.

With our title win comes the unfortunate reality that teams would ask more for players that we wanted. We were always linked to the players we needed, but it seemed that the club didn't want to pay over the odds, which I believe happened with Keane in the summer. Burnley were well in their right to ask more as they knew we had a massive windfall from that season. But hindsight is a wonderful tool. 

Take the stadium expansion for an example. It would have been 'easy' to make the decision to expand the stadium straight after. But in years to come when either the unfortunate happened (please god no) that we were relegated, or turned into a West Brom esque team, would we have a 45k stadium full each week? I'm guessing this is why the owners didn't rush into a decision.

Not always as easy as people make out. I agree with others and say that it won't be as easy as eating a whole packet of party rings to yourself, and you can't base opinion on hearsay or rumours.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

I think our view of how we handle transfer is based far to much on rumours for any fan to make a serious judgement on how good or bad we are.

Totally agree with this. So much speculation is generated by agents on behalf of their clients that you can never really tell. Like when you buy a house there's those you briefly enquire about but don't pursue and then the one or two that you really want. Through social media we hear about the whole lot.

Also, when you buy a house you have a budget, so if your budget is £200k you don't buy a house for £250k. Similarly, IF our budget for a new CB is £15m then it's £15m and not £18m, £19m or £20m - the Thais might be minted but they're minted because they're good with their finances and spend accordingly. I don't agree with this 'just give them another £5m' argument. Especially if the player isn't worth that.

Not just OP but I think people massively over simplify the process. I remember reading somewhere that Fergie tried to sign Laurent Blanc 5 times over a period of about 6 years and LB always went somewhere else. Then you've got agents stalling for time to try and spark a bidding war & also their cut can be a massive bone of contention for clubs. A friend of my wife's is a solicitor in London and she worked on the Arshavin to Arsenal deal and that deal went through at the 11th hour (it was actually completed way, way after the midnight deadline but hey) because Arsenal blinked first and paid the agent a huge cut. He made more than Zenit did from the transfer.

Just reiterating what Davie said, we don't really know who good or bad we are because we don't know what goes on, it's all down to our own perception. I bet most fans of most clubs would express frustration at the way their club conducts it's transfer dealings.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Also judging us against other clubs. I bet hardly anyone takes notice of other clubs transfer business. So how do we know how quick they sign players.

Its like this we put all our eggs in one basket and try to sign a certain player Keane, Aranguiz etc.

When this goes all tits up, we don't have a plan b,c or d, so then we get to the end of the window and panic buy and spend well over the odds for players like Slimani.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Agreed. 

Fans have a simple view of transfers work. 

Although I am surprised we didn't at least have the targets lined up ready 

41 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Also judging us against other clubs. I bet hardly anyone takes notice of other clubs transfer business. So how do we know how quick they sign players.

For info, Everton fans have been moaning how long it takes them to conduct transfers 

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

For info, Everton fans have been moaning how long it takes them to conduct transfers 

I bet most fans do. This place and the web is the biggest problem. Years ago first we knew they had signed. How many nearly transfers did we have but never knew a thing.

Archived