Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

Every hoop you make people jump through deters some people from attending.  That's just the way it is.  To you, they may not be committed fans, but they are people ready and willing to pay money to attend matches if we make it easy for them.  

If we make people join membership schemes in previous seasons in order to have a chance of a season ticket in the future, it will deter some people.  If we make people join membership schemes to have any chance of a ticket where they want one, it will deter people.  If we have very limited general sales weeks in advance of some games, it will deter some people.  Frankly, there will be people that wake up on game day and want to go to a match.  They can't at the moment.

The occasional and irregular fan is someone that is financially struggling, or works erratically, or lives some distance from Leicester, or simply only visits here on occasion.  They are also people with children that decide that today is a good day to bring little Johnny along, but they can't.  Or someone with a friend that supports the opposition or just wants to see what all this fuss is about live football or is just going out of random curiosity. Or a million other reasons.

Within all these groups, there are potential future fans that could evolve into committed, every match home and away types.  But even the randoms and occasional fans are good for the club.  It makes no business or footballing sense to choose to exclude anyone when we have the option to offer more seats.     

Excellent post. I don't like the idea of conditional ticket buying any more than I like conditional authoritarianianism in any form for all that none of us can completely avoid it. The notion of being "controlled" or having things imposed on me grates. I remember being told that using cash cards was "going to save time". Does it hell. The queues at the garage get longer  I sometimes like to do other things on match days but would go to games more often if I could just get a ticket "on the gate" so to speak.        

Every hoop you make people jump through deters some people from attending. That's just the way it is. To you, they may not be committed fans, but they are people ready and willing to pay money to attend matches if we make it easy for them.

If we make people join membership schemes in previous seasons in order to have a chance of a season ticket in the future, it will deter some people. If we make people join membership schemes to have any chance of a ticket where they want one, it will deter people. If we have very limited general sales weeks in advance of some games, it will deter some people. Frankly, there will be people that wake up on game day and want to go to a match. They can't at the moment.

The occasional and irregular fan is someone that is financially struggling, or works erratically, or lives some distance from Leicester, or simply only visits here on occasion. They are also people with children that decide that today is a good day to bring little Johnny along, but they can't. Or someone with a friend that supports the opposition or just wants to see what all this fuss is about live football or is just going out of random curiosity. Or a million other reasons.

Within all these groups, there are potential future fans that could evolve into committed, every match home and away types. But even the randoms and occasional fans are good for the club. It makes no business or footballing sense to choose to exclude anyone when we have the option to offer more seats.

Great post

Never fails to amaze me how many people on here try and take the moral highground "does that make me a plastic" stance when it quite blatantly isn't aimed at them. As if they've got something to prove.

Never fails to amaze me how many people on here try and take the moral highground "does that make me a plastic" stance when it quite blatantly isn't aimed at them. As if they've got something to prove.

The plastic thing is irrelevant.

The bottom line is we should have a ground big enough so the casual fan can turn up on the day on a whim and get in for the majority of our games.

As already said on this thread those fans can turn into regulars.

I'd like us to build a 60,000 stadium, football is only getting bigger.

Apparently, Sheffield Wednesday have struggled with debt quite mainly due to their big ground (over 39,000) and their failure to largely fill it home matchdays.

Hence, before thinking about expanding, we should give it another season-or-so of top flight stability.

Apparently, Sheffield Wednesday have struggled with debt quite mainly due to their big ground (over 39,000) and their failure to largely fill it home matchdays.

Hence, before thinking about expanding, we should give it another season-or-so of top flight stability.

We will be giving at least another season or two before expanding as that's how long it would take anyway re planning etc Wymesy

That's a really unfair comment and frankly unlike you. The simple fact is that this is being discussed because there have been reported comments that the owners plan to extend the stadium it's not some out of the blue fans calling for it.

Also if you've read the thread you'd see that plenty of people have given sound and justifiable reasons why it could be the way to go.

It may have been over the top or misworded out of frustration and for that I apologise.

I still think my viewpoint is a fair one and I got called selfish for it earlier in the thread. Like I said, I'm not against expansion - but I trust the Club's judgment on this.

I'm a season ticket holder along with my sons (aged 9 and 5). We live in Nuneaton and I've lived here for 20 years now. The town has mainly been made up of Coventry fans, then an even split of Leicester, Villa, Man Utd, Chelsea ect.

My boys go to football training both at school and for their Sunday league teams. One thing I've noticed over the last 18 months is the kits that the kids are wearing. My boys wear their Leicester kits every week, but I would say 80% of them are now wearing Barcelona and Real Madrid kits, NO Covenrty kits! And we're starting to see a few more Leicester shirts popping up.

I've lost count on how many occasions other parents have approached me and asked if we go to the Leicester games. It's the same story every time, 'my son doesn't really support a team but as Leicester is 30 minutes down the road we're thinking of taking him'. I tell them what I pay for our season tickets in the family stand and their eyes light up. I then tell them how difficult it is to get tickets without any kind of membership and it puts them off.

If the club is happy selling out 32,000 week in week out, then don't expand. If the club wants to grow, and attract new fans then they have to expand now! The pricing policy the club has for young fans is fantastic, however it's all about supply and demand. Increase the availability of cheap tickets for family's and kids, and the next generation of Leicester fans will grow in numbers.

I'm a season ticket holder along with my sons (aged 9 and 5). We live in Nuneaton and I've lived here for 20 years now. The town has mainly been made up of Coventry fans, then an even split of Leicester, Villa, Man Utd, Chelsea ect.

My boys go to football training both at school and for their Sunday league teams. One thing I've noticed over the last 18 months is the kits that the kids are wearing. My boys wear their Leicester kits every week, but I would say 80% of them are now wearing Barcelona and Real Madrid kits, NO Covenrty kits! And we're starting to see a few more Leicester shirts popping up.

I've lost count on how many occasions other parents have approached me and asked if we go to the Leicester games. It's the same story every time, 'my son doesn't really support a team but as Leicester is 30 minutes down the road we're thinking of taking him'. I tell them what I pay for our season tickets in the family stand and their eyes light up. I then tell them how difficult it is to get tickets without any kind of membership and it puts them off.

If the club is happy selling out 32,000 week in week out, then don't expand. If the club wants to grow, and attract new fans then they have to expand now! The pricing policy the club has for young fans is fantastic, however it's all about supply and demand. Increase the availability of cheap tickets for family's and kids, and the next generation of Leicester fans will grow in numbers.

Great balanced post

I think we have to try and grow without doubt in my opinion

Is there currently a safe standing option...?

There may be before the club gets approval, the planning process for something this big is likely to be painfully slow. A second tier on the family stand and a safe standing section in the Kop would be the best of both worlds and give a manageable increase in capacity. 

There ground will have a lot more expense as it is aged and worn out.

Also no wonder there support has dropped off when did they even look like being a top half Championship side.

Once they challenge for promotion and gain it they will fill the ground.

No one knows what will happen in the future but I am sure the owners are not looking at us being Div 1 or lower championship side in there plan.

Is there currently a safe standing option...?

Well it's just been approved at Celtic and there's never been more pressure to get it done in England. Realistically feel within the next two seasons we could see it happen down here.

Well it's just been approved at Celtic and there's never been more pressure to get it done in England. Realistically feel within the next two seasons we could see it happen down here.

seeing the legislation change and implementing it are different things, I'd love it but I just don't see many clubs jumping at the chance

seeing the legislation change and implementing it are different things, I'd love it but I just don't see many clubs jumping at the chance

Got to be a cheaper option than building a huge stand or expensive extension.

Sure if we could add another 6k they would do that to start instead of an expensive extension.

Then if that demand is out stripped add the extension.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/who-backs-safe-standing/

This says otherwise. :)

Could those interested be putting more pressure on to the lawmakers? Undoubtedly. But the interest is there and those showing it are certainly going to jump at the chance when it is legalised.

Bristol City have it already at their ground but it can only be used for rugby! The current situation is just too ridiculous for it not to happen now.

The kop holds 7k i think, say 4k would be converted safe standing with a ratio of 1.5 ss seats to narwal then we'd get an extra 2000, hardly worth it in the clubs eye's considering the admittedly small outlay converting the seats.

Even if the whole kop was done we'd get an extra 3.5k, definitely beneficial but I just don't think they'd be keen, unfortunately, obviously all conjecture though.

Could those interested be putting more pressure on to the lawmakers? Undoubtedly. But the interest is there and those showing it are certainly going to jump at the chance when it is legalised.

Bristol City have it already at their ground but it can only be used for rugby! The current situation is just too ridiculous for it not to happen now.

I was aware there's a lot of support for it but I think the change would be very gradual.

Who is it actually preventing safe standing? The FA?

Are you sure Bristol city have it at their ground Voll?, I know they were plannning it but thought it was just a pipe dream that failed to materialize.

The kop holds 7k i think, say 4k would be converted safe standing with a ratio of 1.5 ss seats to narwal then we'd get an extra 2000, hardly worth it in the clubs eye's considering the admittedly small outlay converting the seats.

Even if the whole kop was done we'd get an extra 3.5k, definitely beneficial but I just don't think they'd be keen, unfortunately, obviously all conjecture though.

If it gets the go ahead clubs may be forced to implement it or force people to sit.

They are supposed to do as much now as possible to make people sit.

So once it is legal they will have to put in safe standing seating.

Unless the government are stupid and miss it out.

If it gets the go ahead clubs may be forced to implement it or force people to sit.

They are supposed to do as much now as possible to make people sit.

So once it is legal they will have to put in safe standing seating.

Unless the government are stupid and miss it out.

:whistle:  

I was aware there's a lot of support for it but I think the change would be very gradual.

Who is it actually preventing safe standing? The FA?

No, Parliament.

Are you sure Bristol city have it at their ground Voll?, I know they were plannning it but thought it was just a pipe dream that failed to materialize.

It was installed in February last year.

5797576-large.jpg

Archived