Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

N'golo Kante - Medical passed according to Radio Leicester

Why are they pronouncing his name as "Kon-teh" on the radio tonight? Is the correct version "Kan-teh" too offensive for British listeners?

And it's Ca-ehn, no C'ohn. 

Aaargh.  :mad:

To be fair to them, Alan Young would've probably pronounce them worse.

Why are they pronouncing his name as "Kon-teh" on the radio tonight? Is the correct version "Kan-teh" too offensive for British listeners?

If you don't want to sound like a local then 'Con' as in Convict will be understood by the French. In the same way that 'Can' as in tin Can will be understood by the French as Cannes.

Click the little blue arrows for correct for correct pronunciation http://www.forvo.com/word/caen/

If you don't want to sound like a local then 'Con' as in Convict will be understood by the French. In the same way that 'Can' as in tin Can will be understood by the French as Cannes.

Click the little blue arrows for correct for correct pronunciation http://www.forvo.com/word/caen/

Just as much as "con" actually means "asshole" or "****". Couldn't have used a worse example. lol

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on both accounts and Forvo seems to be agreeing with me, though obviously with nasal vowels rather than ours

An = on in French.

I would've called him Kon - teh if I wasn't told differently.

An = on in French.

I would've called him Kon - teh if I wasn't told differently.

depends where in france - when I lived in Avignon the locals there thought I was from Northern France ......... when I was pissed!! When I was sober they could tell I was from au nord de la Manche   :) Amazing how much more fluent I was after a few Kronenbourgs.

in Avignon, you would pronounce it Kengtay - personally though I go with Kon-teh too

Look's like were going have to be quick with this one, reason being is if Marseille are interested then they will be making a bid shortly as heard they have sold a player to west ham. Source isn't a great one as I saw it on twitter, but if it's true they need a replacement and have the money.

Source:-

West Ham United have agreed a £12m deal for Marseille midfielder Dimitri Payet. (Source: Daily Mail)

depends where in france - when I lived in Avignon the locals there thought I was from Northern France ......... when I was pissed!! When I was sober they could tell I was from au nord de la Manche   :) Amazing how much more fluent I was after a few Kronenbourgs.

in Avignon, you would pronounce it Kengtay - personally though I go with Kon-teh too

Everywhere has regional accents. There is only one French pronunciation though.Since he's of African origin I don't know what the correct pronunciation is, I just said what I would've said before being corrected.

They play different positions. Payet is a winger.

regardless of position's they were interested in Kante and will have the fund's to buy now. All depends which league he want's to play in, he might prefer to stay in France? who know's?

Everywhere has regional accents. There is only one French pronunciation though.Since he's of African origin I don't know what the correct pronunciation is, I just said what I would've said before being corrected.

I graduated 21 years ago but can barely order a pint in french or German these days tbh... ! It's a name anyway so to an extent it's only correctly pronounced if it's the way he pronounces it. I've known 2 people with the surname Goode and one pronounces it 'gud' and the other 'guwd'

The vowels are a bit special in France, as you tend to pronounce them with a nasal touch, so an "a" doesn't sound as clear as it'd do in English.

I just found the way they pronounced his name on the radio the other day rather odd and in a way bordering on ignorance. Hence my intervention.

The vowels are a bit special in France, as you tend to pronounce them with a nasal touch, so an "a" doesn't sound as clear as it'd do in English.

I just found the way they pronounced his name on the radio the other day rather odd and in a way bordering on ignorance. Hence my intervention.

Are you French? Because you seem pretty sure of what you're saying so I may be making a twat out of myself, but although French has nasal vowels (and the 'an' combination here would be one of them, pronounced how FIF said), standard oral vowels like 'a', as you mentioned, would actually be more pure than their English counterparts as the position of their mouth and tongue remains fairly constant through the pronunciation

Payet plays more forward than Kanté. However, they still badely want him. As Leicester ans Marseille have roughtly the same firepower when it comes to money, it will mainly depend on what he wants, and if the Pl ils bzkes active, OM is a big5 club un France, son one would be wise not to bet on the outcome. Anyway, even if he is a little fellow, he is worth every single penny.

As for the modt correct way to say his name Wirth british sounds, as a French Guy, it would be : "Kent" as the county ans then "ey"

Archived