Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Guus Hiddink

No, when we were awful, we were awful all over the pitch.

The midfield was often a shambles and the strikers couldn't hit a barn door. How long did Ulloa go for without looking like scoring and what form was Vardy in?

Stop being rosy and be honest.

We really wasn't that bad mate.

Great post.

People conveniently forget that, run in aside, (and a few odd games), we played some awful football last season.

We weren't going to play like we did in the Championship the first year in the Premiership. It wasn't going to happen at this level. Two of the teams coming up went down. It takes time to establish yourself at this level and with the players we had had, we played well enough to be in most games, even those we lost. The goal was to figure out a way to stay up. Who's to say next season under NP and a few few new named players you wouldn't get this year what you wanted last year.

No, when we were awful, we were awful all over the pitch.

The midfield was often a shambles and the strikers couldn't hit a barn door. How long did Ulloa go for without looking like scoring and what form was Vardy in?

Stop being rosy and be honest.

Stop being so Negative , most pundits and indeed other football fans were constantly saying we were playing ok and not getting the points.   It was not perfect im not stupid but you need to up the Prozac dose. 

No I don't, I'm being honest.

At times last season, for lengthy spells in fact, we were awful.

That's because of a few things, initially.

Firstly, Pearson didn't know where to put Schlupp; when he was in defence he was as poor as Konchesky has been.

He also tinkered with putting Nugent out wide, and putting De Laet too far up front.

Once Nigel sorted what his best team was, we've performed well; and the performances in the last 10 games showed.

I feel gutted, i've never felt the club was in better hands than with him. I felt he genuinely cared and that it was possible to build something special here gradually, whilst never endangering our clubs future again.

I'm not going to miss Pearson the man, people go on about it not being Pearson FC. I'm aware of that, my loyalty is to the club not him. And that's the thing, I'm now worried about my club because he was a bloody great manager for us, a steady hand building in what I think is 100% the best way, he shaped the club from top to bottom.

I'm going to miss the job he was doing and how he ran the club, not Nigel Pearson.

Hopefully the owners get the next step right, for their sake on ours. I don't want to be set here regretting the decision in a couple of years.

:appl:

All this talk about Hiddink has me a bit worried that the owners learnt absolutely nothing from the expensive Sven experiment. Who knows? Perhaps it will be totally different this time. I doubt it, to be honest. I expect, just like last time, we'll spunk silly money down the toilet to get precisely nowhere, or worse, but we'll have to wait and see.

Like you, I am extremely disappointed that the club will no longer be run like it was under NP. I agree, it was absolutely, positively the right way to run a football club. Using scouts to dig up bargains, researching the character and attitiude of potential signings and how they will fit in, using science to get the maximum output from each player, working on building a proper team made up of a tight-knit group of players who would die for each other, the list goes on.

It's basically the opposite of paying through the nose for over-the-hill, big name, complacent players who are only interested in their bank balance.

I am forever the optimist, however, so maybe the owners will learn eventually. How many times can they afford to do this before it's no longer worth it?

We weren't going to play like we did in the Championship the first year in the Premiership. It wasn't going to happen at this level. Two of the teams coming up went down. It takes time to establish yourself at this level and with the players we had had, we played well enough to be in most games, even those we lost. The goal was to figure out a way to stay up. Who's to say next season under NP and a few few new named players you wouldn't get this year what you wanted last year.

I've already said that. One of the problems with losing Pearson is i think he did finally learn. And this season I was expecting us to be much stronger. That still doesn't mean that last season we weren't awful at times. We were. Certain games stick out as being obvious. Swansea away and Villa in the cup being just two among many.

:appl:

All this talk about Hiddink has me a bit worried that the owners learnt absolutely nothing from the expensive Sven experiment. Who knows? Perhaps it will be totally different this time. I doubt it, to be honest. I expect, just like last time, we'll spunk silly money down the toilet to get precisely nowhere, or worse, but we'll have to wait and see.

Like you, I am extremely disappointed that the club will no longer be run like it was under NP. I agree, it was absolutely, positively the right way to run a football club. Using scouts to dig up bargains, researching the character and attitiude of potential signings and how they will fit in, using science to get the maximum output from each player, working on building a proper team made up of a tight-knit group of players who would die for each other, the list goes on.

It's basically the opposite of paying through the nose for over-the-hill, big name, complacent players who are only interested in their bank balance.

I am forever the optimist, however, so maybe the owners will learn eventually. How many times can they afford to do this before it's no longer worth it?

Bingo

That's because of a few things, initially.

Firstly, Pearson didn't know where to put Schlupp; when he was in defence he was as poor as Konchesky has been.

He also tinkered with putting Nugent out wide, and putting De Laet too far up front.

Once Nigel sorted what his best team was, we've performed well; and the performances in the last 10 games showed.

Not true. We were in last chance saloon and went for it.  We got a few breaks and then on a roll.  Imagine where we would have ended up if we had just gone for it from the start. It also helped that we brought in Huth who could actually marshall a defence,  Something that was not addressed by NP until it was almost too late.

Hands up if you don't want to see Leicester city in Europe ever again.

No one?

Owners have said they want Europe. This will take great managers, great players and lots of money. The managers and players will be merceneries for the most part, that's football now, hiddink is a step in that direction I think, id be more than happy with this. If he comes and stays 2 years, makes us a top 10 side, adds real quality players, then we can attract another quality manager afterwards and the merry go round continues.

I was enjoying watching the progress we were making under np as well, bit could you honestly see us in Europe with him?

There's so much wrong here it's incredible.

Quite apart from the fact that a merry-go-round never actually goes anywhere, by its very nature, Pearson improved our overall league placing by 17 positions in his first stay, by 4 places in his first season back, 3 the next, 6 the year after and 7 the year after that. It's hardly like we were going nowhere. And if you'd be 'more than happy' with the top ten (which doesn't necessarily mean us playing in Europe, of course) then I'd have said Pearson had us going in the right direction. After all, at the time he left his side was the most in-form in the PL, and was bettered by nobody in Europe.

But I can't win if the argument is that Hiddink would represent a step forward on the grounds that he's a 'mercenary' and Pearson wasn't. Who are these mercenaries at the very top of football, anyway?

As for Hiddink, perhaps talk of the Thais being 'honourable people' will be vanquished once and for all if they bring in a guy who was once, so Wikipedia tells me, given a 6 month suspended sentence for tax evasion (Pearson will love that one, won't he? He does pay his taxes after all...). How, exactly, are they honourable? It's not as if they're permanently dancing round in gowns blessing all and sundry with holy water, is it? After all, they were only known in the UK for media accusations of involvement in an 'airport tourist scam' before they arrived on our doorstep, and as far as I know the only honours bestowed upon them have been by a monarch who is accused of suppressing democracy and supporting human rights abuses.

And his record? An FA Cup six years ago, a load of Dutch Championships (even McClaren won one of them), but precious little in the past decade except for a largely disappointing international management career. He did win a European Cup but it was 27 years ago, which means in terms of continental success he's further down the ladder than Cappello and Sacchi who, incidentally, is the same age and retired a decade ago, when he was already well past his best.  

There's every chance it could work out, and regardless of whether it does or not he'll get my support next season (at the ground, at least)... but it's hardly the most glowing of CVs where the past decade is concerned. Then again, these guys did appoint Sven once, didn't they?

I've already said that. One of the problems with losing Pearson is i think he did finally learn. And this season I was expecting us to be much stronger. That still doesn't mean that last season we weren't awful at times. We were. Certain games stick out as being obvious. Swansea away and Villa in the cup being just two among many.

It's not that I'm saying we didn't play like crap some games, but that it was inevitable that we would considering the change in level. It was a learning curve. Most teams last year will say they played rubbish for spells but good on NP for getting it right before it was too late.

A lot of this reads like the Cambiasso thread when we first brought him in. One last pay cheque, he's past it, where's the motivation etc etc.

We all know how that turned out.

Undoubtedly a big name and will attract better players on the international stage. Give it two years, pretty much the time you've got in the PL max. to make an impact anyway, and we push on from there.

I said it yesterday, there's no point in looking at a British manager, there's none good enough for where the owners perceive they want us to be.

Different because he was brought in by a manager who'd not stand for that. Cambiasso's character is different. You'd never catch him pissing away his career at clubs like Anzhi.

Huth's arrival, Albrighton finally getting into the team after nearly being completely frozen out for no reason whatsoever, the obvious improvement in form that helped Ulloa achieve (remember the old, Ulloa off Albrighton on days lol what the hell was Pearson doing). Vardy coming back into form with the backing of a tremendous crowd. Those are the reasons we stayed up. We still have all of those players

Great post.

People conveniently forget that, run in aside, (and a few odd games), we played some awful football last season.

There was a spell like that, but I'd say there were 3/4 or 3/5 of the season that wasn't. I'm not blinkered by the run in, because for most of the season I kept repeating that I felt we were so close to getting it right. I wasn't sure we would and Christ we left it bloody late but the results started to come that performances warranted.

There is a reason why pundits, the press, other managers gave us plenty of praise and said we'd been unlucky or hadn't got what we should from many games.

Pesrson dropped a bollock mid season, no question. But you are judged on where you finish and in the end we were comfortable.

Huth's arrival, Albrighton finally getting into the team after nearly being completely frozen out for no reason whatsoever, the obvious improvement in form that helped Ulloa achieve (remember the old, Ulloa off Albrighton on days lol what the hell was Pearson doing). Vardy coming back into form with the backing of a tremendous crowd. Those are the reasons we stayed up. We still have all of those players

But does Gus want to play 3 at the back?

Not true. We were in last chance saloon and went for it. We got a few breaks and then on a roll. Imagine where we would have ended up if we had just gone for it from the start. It also helped that we brought in Huth who could actually marshall a defence, Something that was not addressed by NP until it was almost too late.

Which was why it was called the Great Escape.

We went from relegation fodder to world beaters in a few weeks.

Huth signed and got fit, the formation changed and Bingo! Just in time it came good. Before then, it was far from good.

I remember looking at the stats in about late January time and we had one of the worst goals conceded/goals scored records across all four divisions at that time.

We were conceding goals from everywhere, our midfield was non existent, our strikers just not scoring. It went on like this for months until Pearson found the right recipe.

When he did, (and fair play, many said he would), we looked a completely different side.

yeah but Nige took the bloody remote controls 

Archived