Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Crazy Stat Time!

The Premier League's bottom three have more English top-division titles between them (17) than the Premier League's top three (15).

Here's some more on the same theme:

We all know this stat, right? - clubs with most league titles:

Man U               20

Liverpool           18

Arsenal             13

But if we go back to, say, the time Leicester came closest to winning the league (1928/29), the 'most titles' stat looked like this:

Aston Villa             6

Sunderland           5

Newcastle             4

Liverpool               4

So it would be a nice historical echo if three clubs that were once the most decorated in the English game all went down together. As someone on this forum said recently, 'history is upside-down'.

If those three do go down it would break the record for what we could call, for want of a better phrase, 'number of titles relegated from the top flight in one season':

Aston Villa               7

Sunderland             6

Newcastle               4

Total                      17         (As you can see - Villa and Sunderland have since added just one each, and Newcastle none, to their 1929 totals)

So - what's the current record? 

In the era of three up / three down, 9 titles went down from the top flight in 1986/87, as follows:

Leicester City          0  

Manchester City      2

Aston Villa               7

(Weren't making much of a contribution there, were we?)

Going further back, to the two up / two down era, 10 titles went down on two occasions. Both when Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday were relegated together.

Let's hope this topsy-turvy trend continues and, next season, Man U, Chelsea and Man City fill the relegation places.

Edited by kushiro

Somebody check my math/research, because it's just impossible to believe. Fuchs, Simpson, Morgan, Huth, Kante and Drinkwater have played 1540 minutes together this season.  In that time we have allowed six goals. That is a goal every 257 minutes.  Chelsea allowed a goal every 228 minutes in 2005, which is the best in premier league history.

Those goals were scored by Fonte (corner), van Dijk (corner), Deeney (penalty), Schweinsteiger (corner), Gestede (open play/deflected), and Aguero (open play/consolation).  Which means that the only meaningful goal that we have conceded from open play in the 1540 minutes those six players have been on the pitch together was a deflected goal from the worst team in the league.  Please check my work, I probably made a mistake.

Also our now familiar starting 11 didn't start together for the first time until the Manchester United match.  The first substitute was made in the 60th minute with the score 1-1.  In total, the eleven have been our starting 11 in 10 matches this year.  They have scored 11 goals and allowed only one in the 644 minutes before our first substitution. So our starting 11 have allowed only 1 goal every 644 minutes and have not alllowed a goal in 599 minutes.

• Like 1

Somebody check my math/research, because it's just impossible to believe. Fuchs, Simpson, Morgan, Huth, Kante and Drinkwater have played 1540 minutes together this season.  In that time we have allowed six goals. That is a goal every 257 minutes.  Chelsea allowed a goal every 228 minutes in 2005, which is the best in premier league history.

Those goals were scored by Fonte (corner), van Dijk (corner), Deeney (penalty), Schweinsteiger (corner), Gestede (open play/deflected), and Aguero (open play/consolation).  Which means that the only meaningful goal that we have conceded from open play in the 1540 minutes those six players have been on the pitch together was a deflected goal from the worst team in the league.  Please check my work, I probably made a mistake.

Also our now familiar starting 11 didn't start together for the first time until the Manchester United match.  The first substitute was made in the 60th minute with the score 1-1.  In total, the eleven have been our starting 11 in 10 matches this year.  They have scored 11 goals and allowed only one in the 644 minutes before our first substitution. So our starting 11 have allowed only 1 goal every 644 minutes and have not alllowed a goal in 599 minutes.

This is by far the best stat i've seen on this thread. Top work mate.

Whilst it's true that Ipswich won the old division one and two, they didn't win a national third tier league like we did. They won the old division three South which didn't include teams north of Leicester. When we won the current league one we had to play teams like Leeds, Oldham and Huddersfield. We also had to play away games as far north as Carlisle and Hartlepool and down south as far as Yeovil and Brighton . So if we do win the premier league this season , we will have achieved something unique in winning league one, league two and the premier league. And Andy King will also be unique in being a champion in the top three national leagues.

Good spot.

Think you're reaching a bit there... Ipswich clearly did the same achievement regardless of how the third tier was divided at the time.

Nah he's right. Division Three south isn't the same as Division Three. Ipswich won the title in 1959 with 59 points, but Derby won Division Three North that year with 63 points - so Ipswich can't call themselves Division 3 Champions. Andy King would be unique... Imagine his face :D

Mind you I think Ipswich's achievement would still outshine us if we win. They won it in their first ever top flight campaign, and had only been a league team for 16 seasons - spending about 12 of those in Division Three South.

I think it will be found that both Burnley and Wolves have won the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Division titles during their histories, and they are the only clubs to have won leagues at all 4 levels. It's not something we want to get involved in though because to compete we would have to suffer 3 relegations down the ladder to the bottom rung.

My crazy stat is that we've now lost only 2 away games in the last 12 months.

People were saying until December that we hadn't played anyone, well technically we won't all season.

We haven't yet, and after the weekend's results can't for the rest of the season, play anybody above us in the league at the time of the game taking place.

Edited by Hubert
  • Like 1

Heard today that we have won 13 games by a one goal  margin and that is the most in a season by a club in the premier league era. (Source: Guardian football podcast).

No idea how to check if that  is true though.

I swear they said on my stream on Saturday that United got 16 when they won the league last?

If we win the league, this will be the lowest number of England internationals (full cap holders) for a Premier League title winning squad since the Premier League commenced, even if Drinkwater plays in the upcoming friendlies.

This is exceptional work - thank you!  I can happily live with the fact that the only open-play, undeflected goal we've conceded was scored by arguably the league's best player.  Huth was probably daydreaming about his hat-trick at that point.

Very interesting! Don't forget as well that the Gestede goal was a blatant handball. That goal should never have stood. Take that out and the statistic is even more amazing and a credit to our defense and coaching staff.

I think it will be found that both Burnley and Wolves have won the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Division titles during their histories, and they are the only clubs to have won leagues at all 4 levels. It's not something we want to get involved in though because to compete we would have to suffer 3 relegations down the ladder to the bottom rung.

My crazy stat is that we've now lost only 2 away games in the last 12 months.

According to Wikipedia, Preston NE have also won all four. And no, we don't want to emulate that record.

Very interesting! Don't forget as well that the Gestede goal was a blatant handball. That goal should never have stood. Take that out and the statistic is even more amazing and a credit to our defense and coaching staff.

Wasn't Aguero offside?

We trailed in 7 of our first 11 league games:

Tottenham (H)

Bournemouth (A)

Southampton (A)

Stoke (A)

West Brom (A)

Aston Villa (H)

Arsenal (H)

but only 3 of the past 20:

Liverpool (A)

Arsenal (A)