Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Crazy Stat Time!

Last time we were top on Good Friday was 1963.

We played Friday at West Ham, Sunday at Man Utd, Monday home to Man Utd. 

After that we drew with Wolves and lost the last four games to finish fourth.

Probably a good thing we don't play at all this weekend!

https://twitter.com/hueylad/status/713295304397889536

@hueylad

Edited by Hubert

Last time we were top on Good Friday was 1963.

We played Friday at West Ham, Sunday at Man Utd, Monday home to Man Utd. 

After that we drew with Wolves and lost the last four games to finish fourth.

Probably a good thing we don't play at all this weekend!

https://twitter.com/hueylad/status/713295304397889536

@hueylad

That Man U home game I was locked out with thousands of others with 37K+ in the ground, my brother managed to get in.

Those inside were providing a running commentary for those of us stuck outside.

That Man U home game I was locked out with thousands of others with 37K+ in the ground, my brother managed to get in.

If you remember anything else about that day, or any other games in the run-in, I'd love to hear it.

As a young boy I remember my Dad and I talking to Matt Gillies over the garden fence about this Manchester Utd Game in the morning before the match, in the days when Football managers lived in semi's off Evington Road. A real gent with time to chat to a kid before a really big game.

Gillies took over the Foxes on 8 November 1958 as they sat bottom of the old First Division....

Soon after in 1962-63 season in what is consider Gillies' best season, Leicester sat top of the First Division with just 5 games to go....(eventually finished 4th)

For those of a nervous disposition like Lineker, I think the other teams had a lot of games in hand,  and we did win the League cup the next year.

• Like 1

My mum wouldn't let me go on my own (10 years old, because of the expected crush) so played footy with my mates in the street (ash tree road Oadby) whilst getting periodic updates re the score. Once we had won the game mum called me in.

Different world!

• Like 1

By Wednesday leicester will have spent ten times longer at the top of the league than Manchester United since Ferguson retired.

Do you know the numbers for both Webbo or did you just read that somewhere?

I imagine it's sometime around 8/9 and 80/90 days, quite possibly more.

Edited by ajthefox

Do you know the numbers for both Webbo or did you just read that somewhere?

I imagine it's sometime around 8/9 and 80/90 days, quite possibly more.

SIr Alex retired 3 season ago. Since then they've topped the league 10 days. Man U have topped the league 2294 days since Football began.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3503957/Leicester-spent-10-times-days-Manchester-United-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-retired-66-points-stage-years.html

Edited by NewEnglandFox

Sadly I think Burton will ruin this... but we can possibly lay claim to having played league matches against each side that currently stands top of their respectively divisions within the last 10 years.

Naturally if Wigan overtake them then this stat would be confirmed. I'm aware we have played Burton in the league and FA Cup more recently - but it was the league game angle I was looking at.

Re your footer ozleicester, we weren't top in August as far as I'm aware. First went top on November 23rd after Newcastle away.

I think we were top after the FIRST game ;)

Edit, yep checked.. Saturday 8th August :).. Double checked... top on Sunday as well  :thumbup:

Edited by ozleicester

I think we were top after the FIRST game ;)

Edit, yep checked.. Saturday 8th August :).. Double checked... top on Sunday as well  :thumbup:

But we weren't top on Monday after Man City played to closed out the GW. You have to watch out on when people say we're top, whether it was us being top on Saturday night which we were a few times at the beginning of the season of being "joint-top" behind on a tie breaker.

On the wikipedia page, that rank is our position on the day we played our game, not after the GW has finished. 

I don't get this obsession of 'days' we've been top.

Give me the "how many 'game-weeks' we've been top" stat.

That is what should matter (doesn't really, what matters is only who is top after 38), and should be much easier to figure out (I would find out but don't care enough to spend 10 minutes doing it).

If you look at first time winners decade by decade:

1880s    1        Preston               (league started 1888/89)

1890s    4        Everton, Sunderland, Villa, Sheff U

1900s    4        Liverpool, Newcastle, The Wednesday, Man U

1910s    1        Blackburn           (four seasons lost to WW1)

1920s    3        WBA, Burnley, Huddersfield

1930s    2        Arsenal, Man City

1940s    1        Portsmouth        (seven seasons lost to WW2)

1950s    3        Spurs, Wolves, Chelsea

1960s    2        Ipswich, Leeds

1970s    2        Derby, Forest

1980s    0

1990s    0

2000s    0

2010s    0                                  

As Martin Samuel said in a recent article about why a Leicester title would be so much more of an achievement than Forest in 1978, every single change in the game since the 1970s has had the effect of making it more difficult for clubs to come from nowhere to win the league.

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 3

Next question is, who's come closest to a first league title since Forest in 1978?

1982:  Swansea came close to a miracle, top in February, finished 6th. (They'd been in the FOURTH division in 1978.)

1983:  Watford finished 2nd, but were at no point challenging for the title. They ended up 11 behind Liverpool.

1984:  Southampton came 2nd, just three points behind Liverpool, thanks to a late surge. Never real contenders.

1986:  West Ham went into the last Saturday of the season with a chance of the title, but finished 3rd.

1991:  Crystal Palace finished 3rd, but were never really in the race for top spot.

1993:  Norwich were 8 points clear in December, still in the race at Easter, but faded to 3rd.

And that's where the romance ends - absolutely nothing in the next 22 seasons. Which just makes what we're doing now all the more remarkable.

Edited by kushiro