Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxoffderby

Ongoing Transfer Talk

Now that we are almost there in terms of winning the Premiership, and the Champions League awaits, we need to have a look at the current squad and have a view on who is likely to go. The key criterion is having the quality to compete at the higher echelons. We also need to recognise that selling players will also increase our budget for incoming players.

Here's my take:

Schwarezer - it goes without saying that we need a proper back up for Kasper.

De Laet - not good enough for the premiership, let alone the Champions League. £1.5m

Konchesky - contract expires at the end of June. Not to be renewed!

Wasilewski - a great contribution from the big man, but time to call it a day. Do not renew contract.

Moore - showed terrific potential at the start of last season. It hasn't quite worked out for him. £1.0m

James - difficult one, as we have yet to see whether he is fully recovered from his long term injury, but need something better. £1.5m

Dyer - he did two good things (goal against Villa, and the cross for Vardy's goal against the Saints), but he also gave away two penalties. Do not renew loan.

Inler - so little game time, but his style isn't really suited to the way we want to play. £2.5m

Benalouane - difficult to analyse his abilities in view of his sparse appearances. Need someone better. £2.5m

King - sorry chaps, but whilst I admire what Andy has done and his loyalty to the club, he's not at the level that we are looking for. £2m.

Kramaric - a bit like Inler, not really suited to the pacy, counter attack game that has served us so well. £6m

Ulloa - has been useful in recent games with Vardy missing, but he's not Champions League material. £6m

That's a total of £23m to go into the transfer kitty.

Disagree about King and Ulloa. With us competing on multiple fronts players like these will be invaluable in domestic cup matches and some prem games

I don't care what level the club is at, whether championship or champions league, I'd love it if we played Kingy every week. Club legend that has been through the hard times with us and showed incredible loyalty. Can't believe any City fan would want to sell him, let alone for 2 million...

have you seen him play? He is average at best, if he is back up i would have him, but 15 mil euros for backup, not so sure.

Alright, so a 23-year old German international with similar workrates to Okazaki plus eight goals and ten assists for a rather mediocre team like Hoffenheim is "average at best"? lol

What was your opinion of Okazaki then, I wonder?

Now that we are almost there in terms of winning the Premiership, and the Champions League awaits, we need to have a look at the current squad and have a view on who is likely to go. The key criterion is having the quality to compete at the higher echelons. We also need to recognise that selling players will also increase our budget for incoming players.

Here's my take:

De Laet - not good enough for the premiership, let alone the Champions League. £1.5m

Wasilewski - a great contribution from the big man, but time to call it a day. Do not renew contract.

Moore - showed terrific potential at the start of last season. It hasn't quite worked out for him. £1.0m

James - difficult one, as we have yet to see whether he is fully recovered from his long term injury, but need something better. £1.5m

Dyer - he did two good things (goal against Villa, and the cross for Vardy's goal against the Saints), but he also gave away two penalties. Do not renew loan.

Inler - so little game time, but his style isn't really suited to the way we want to play. £2.5m

Benalouane - difficult to analyse his abilities in view of his sparse appearances. Need someone better. £2.5m

King - sorry chaps, but whilst I admire what Andy has done and his loyalty to the club, he's not at the level that we are looking for. £2m.

Kramaric - a bit like Inler, not really suited to the pacy, counter attack game that has served us so well. £6m

Ulloa - has been useful in recent games with Vardy missing, but he's not Champions League material. £6m

It's all fair and square playing Football Manager or FIFA, but you do realize that we can't just overhaul 2/3 of the squad like that?

I agree that there are some more obvious choices - three to be precise: Schwarzer, Wasilewski and Konchesky.

We still have a couple of really good bench players that could come in handy looking ahead to the next season, in particular with regards to playing in the Europa League/rotating the squad to a certain degree.

Benalouane played fairly well whenever I saw him in a City shirt. He's pretty agile and fast for a centre-back and comes with good aerial qualities plus great anticipation.

Inler... Well, his bad luck Kanté and Drinkwater stole the limelight. I wouldn't want to call it quits for him already, his Europa League and Champions League experience are second to none.

With Kramaric, you never know.

King won't be leaving soon, he's quintessential for the cohesion of the club (just like many other regular bench players).

James and Moore could go out on loan again.

One would hope De Laet to get promoted with Middlesbrough and Leicester accepting a bid for the continuation of his services.

Guest CityFan 06

I like foxfanazer's suggestion with Oxlade Chamberlin. Would suit us very well I reckon.

Alright, so a 23-year old German international with similar workrates to Okazaki plus eight goals and ten assists for a rather mediocre team like Hoffenheim is "average at best"? lol

What was your opinion of Okazaki then, I wonder?

I forgot to include Okazaki in the list of players to leave. Great commitment and energy, but goal return not great and not at Champions League level. Should be able to £6m for him, to take the kitty up to almost £30m.

If we had the chance to sign one of these 4 strikers in the summer who would you pick?

Welbeck, Sturridge, Benteke or Bony?

If guaranteed to be fit, then Sturridge because he's the most accomplished goalscorer

I forgot to include Okazaki in the list of players to leave. Great commitment and energy, but goal return not great and not at Champions League level. Should be able to £6m for him, to take the kitty up to almost £30m.

Why make such wholesale changes? Remember we are on the brink of winning the league and everyone has played a big part this season. Oka / Ulloa will stay as will King. I think James could go on loan. Unsure about Inler, Bena, Kram they are good players but don't seem to suit us. The other departures of 'lesser' players are guaranteed. The main priority should be keeping hold of Kante, Mahrez and Vardy

If we had the chance to sign one of these 4 strikers in the summer who would you pick?

Surprised everyone wants welbeck, he'd be the last of the 4 for me.

Probably would go with Sturridge first

Surprised everyone wants welbeck, he'd be the last of the 4 for me.

Probably would go with Sturridge first

He's a mobile and hard-working striker who has decent pace, aerial and finishing ability. Sturridge is a sublime finisher, but he's injury-prone, has an inflated ego and wouldn't fit so well with our style.

I'd like us to go back for Deeney. Think he's done well for Watford this year and could be an excellent partner for Vardy

He'd be an upgrade on Ulloa, but really we need someone as backup (and competition) to Vardy.

He's a mobile and hard-working striker who has decent pace, aerial and finishing ability. Sturridge is a sublime finisher, but he's injury-prone, has an inflated ego and wouldn't fit so well with our style.

I feel with welbeck that his goal scoring record has never been good enough despite playing for top teams most of the time. With sturridge i would have confidence in our sports science team to keep him fit.

Why make such wholesale changes? Remember we are on the brink of winning the league and everyone has played a big part this season. Oka / Ulloa will stay as will King. I think James could go on loan. Unsure about Inler, Bena, Kram they are good players but don't seem to suit us. The other departures of 'lesser' players are guaranteed. The main priority should be keeping hold of Kante, Mahrez and Vardy

The initial remit when we were promoted was to stay in the premier league. Our budget and the type of player that we were able to attract in order to accomplish this, meant that we had to go for the likes of Okazaki and Ulloa. No-one expected us to get into the Champions League, so the budget will be different as will be the type of player we will be looking for. Absolutely agree that we should do everything we can to hold onto Kante, Mahrez, Vardy, Drinkwater but we need to add quality players to take us to the next level. I'm afraid that does not include the likes of Andy King.

I feel with welbeck that his goal scoring record has never been good enough despite playing for top teams most of the time. With sturridge i would have confidence in our sports science team to keep him fit.

Seriously none of them.

Welbeck - Injury prone

Sturridge - See Welbeck and has a shocking attitude

Benteke - Shocking

Bony - Who?!

Here's my take:

If my FM experience isn't in vain, there are certain quotas the 25-man CL squad has to fill. 8 homegrown players minimum, with 4 of them trained at the club. King is one of very few that fits the latter category. As far as I know, Schlupp and Moore (also a reason not to sell) are the only other senior players who fit into that category. That alone should be a strong argument against selling any of those three.

Archived