Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

6 hours ago, Maboimahrez said:

Currently on my way on holiday with my mates and sat in the toilets at the airport crying. Just got rejected from another interview having got to the final 2 only for them to prefer the other candidate. Been looking for a job for over a year and this is the 4th time this exact situation as occurred. Feel like complete shit like I dont want to leave the cubicle and face the outside world

Feel this shouldn’t even be on this thread as it seems so minor compared to what others are suffering but just wanted a channel to clear my thoughts

Sorry to hear that mate, what do you do? 

13 hours ago, pSinatra said:

We were recruiting where I work a couple of weeks ago & as I'm the supervisor, I sat in on the interviews.  To be honest, I found the whole process terrifying.  Not the interviews themselves, but we had 8 applicants & all of them were worthy of a job in my opinion (to different degrees).  I felt guilty for all those that didn't get the job.  I desperately wanted them all to call for some feedback, so I could give them all some positives to take from the ordeal.  What I'm trying to say is, that all the candidates were unlucky.  Any other time, they may well have found themselves getting the job. 

To find yourself in the top 2 candidates & not get the job - keep going mate.  You're obviously good at what you do, or you wouldn't have found yourself in the last 2 four times. 

Have you asked for any feedback from your interviews?  You probably feel that they would only tell you stuff you don't want to hear (criticisms).  I think it's more likely they would give you mostly positive feedback & anything not so good, will give you some useful information to take into your next interview.  Easier said than done, I know.

Good luck 

There was no feedback which is frustrating. They just said they picked the other person for no significant reason

10 minutes ago, Maboimahrez said:

I’d love to discuss stuff in more detail but I have friends and family on this forum and nowhere near at that point where I want this coming out unfortunately

I understand mate, I’ve said way too much on here. PM me if you want, I was going to offer help in getting a job if I can.

I've been doing a big clear up/back up on my phone and laptop to get some space. But in the process seen so many photos and videos from my "happy" years. I can look back with fondness and I remember the good times but I can't recall the emotion. It's like I can remember I was happy back then but it's been so long that I've forgotten what happy truly feels like.

I often think I've made small changes in the right direction but moments like this just make me realise that I'm so far away from the base, let alone the peak of the mountain. The reality is I'm an absolute shadow of the man I was, almost unrecognizable. 

There's a tiny glimmer of hope that keeps me going everyday. But I worry the more years that pass by, the harder it's going to get.

Edited by TK95

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Thought I’d use up my 10,000th post to say thank you to everyone in this thread for sharing, understanding and caring about everything. You’re all a massive help when someone (and me) is down and feeling hopeless. 

Best thread on FT. 

Always welcome - I find sometimes when I'm down, over-posting makes it worse. I hope that helps mate.

• Like 1

We all know today's world brings great levels of stress, anxiety and depression. We're trying to see how we can help.

I have been working with some friends to produce an app (apple and android) that delivers a full Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) programme using tutorials and guided meditations.  MBCT is shown to increase Resilience and to be effective at helping to avoid problems with stress, anxiety and depression.  MBCT is more effective than antidepressants yet without the side effects.

I am now looking for a group of 50 users to try the app ...FOR FREE.

Users  will need to use the app for 10  minutes say four times per week.... for 8 weeks... thereafter there is a maintenance programme to imbed the skills of mindfulness.

If you would like to help us by trying the app then please email the word FOXTRIAL to [email protected]

We'll ask you to fill out an online questionnaire at the start and end of the 8 week trial.

You may have tried popular mindfulness apps... and such apps do provide a “reasonable introduction to mindfulness and help with relaxation”... Yet they don’t deliver a formal training in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) that will embed the skills that will increase your resilience.

• Like 2

Guest Harrydc
On 04/07/2019 at 11:55, foxinsocks said:

We all know today's world brings great levels of stress, anxiety and depression. We're trying to see how we can help.

I have been working with some friends to produce an app (apple and android) that delivers a full Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) programme using tutorials and guided meditations.  MBCT is shown to increase Resilience and to be effective at helping to avoid problems with stress, anxiety and depression.  MBCT is more effective than antidepressants yet without the side effects.

I am now looking for a group of 50 users to try the app ...FOR FREE.

Users  will need to use the app for 10  minutes say four times per week.... for 8 weeks... thereafter there is a maintenance programme to imbed the skills of mindfulness.

If you would like to help us by trying the app then please email the word FOXTRIAL to [email protected]

We'll ask you to fill out an online questionnaire at the start and end of the 8 week trial.

You may have tried popular mindfulness apps... and such apps do provide a “reasonable introduction to mindfulness and help with relaxation”... Yet they don’t deliver a formal training in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) that will embed the skills that will increase your resilience.

This email you provided appears to be invalid 

Felt so listless and down quite a bit lately. Prozac is working, though sometimes when i feel I need to embrace the “negative emotions”, it feel inhibited. Dunno whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing. 

However, got a call from the family in Botswana - they’re coming to Europe and have invited us to their Northern Ireland leg! And it’s given me such a ****ing huge boost today I can hardly contain it. I’ve been pining for Africa for 3 years and now part of Africa is coming to me!!!

Anyway, it’s given me a bit of determination to start getting myself out of this current hole. I’ve got two months to do it, or rather, two months to have a decent story. So fingers crossed. Hopefully having a bit of Monkey Shoulder to celebrate tonight won’t play havoc with my plans in the morning... 

i ****ing miss Africa. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Oh yes, many times. And I’d imagine others would say the same. 

Silly really because when people do have the guts to type out proper long stuff they always get brilliant replies and are glad they did. 

The only thread on FT where anything goes and no one minds.

Have you never been in the Ghezzal thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ketamine-like drug for depression could get UK licence within the year

A ketamine-like drug that could be licensed in the UK as soon as November could transform treatment for severe depression, one of the country’s leading psychiatrists has said.

The drug, called esketamine, which is administered through a nasal spray, would be one of the first “rapid acting” drugs for depression and the first drug in decades to target a new brain pathway.

Unlike conventional antidepressants, which take weeks or months to take effect, ketamine has been shown in some patients to have enduring effects within hours.

Prof Allan Young, director of the Centre for Affective Disorders at King’s College London, said that for the substantial portion of patients who do not respond to conventional drugs, ketamine-based therapies could offer new hope.

“We haven’t had anything really new for 50 or 60 years. What’s particularly exciting is the arrival of a new type of treatment and that’s ketamine,” he said. “It’s got a different pharmacology. It’s not just the same old steam engine, it seems to work in a different way and it seems to work more quickly.”

However, other experts have raised questions about the overall effectiveness of the drug and say there could be serious safety risks associated with taking ketamine over long time periods.

The European Medicines Agency and the UK health regulator will make a decision in November on licensing the drug, which Johnson & Johnson sells in the US under the brand name Spravato. If approved, esketamine would become available through private clinics. Nice are scheduled to make a decision on whether to approve the drug for NHS use in March next year.

Young believes the drug could prove to be an important alternative for the roughly 2.7 million people in the UK who suffer from chronic depression and have not responded to conventional drugs.

The most commonly used drugs, known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), work by stopping the brain mopping up the chemical serotonin. They typically take six to eight weeks to have an impact on symptoms.

Ketamine appears to act on a different brain chemical called glutamate, and in animal studies has been shown to restore connections between brain cells that are thought to shrink back during prolonged periods of depression.

Prof Carlos Zarate, head of experimental therapeutics and pathophysiology at the US National Institute of Mental Health, who conducted the first clinical trial of ketamine for depression in 2006, said: “Ketamine is now the prototype of the future generation of antidepressants that will have rapid robust effects within a few hours and are long lasting.”

In the nasal spray form, it is given in far lower doses than the street drug ketamine.

However, the side effects that patients experience, which can include hallucinations, dizziness and feelings of anxiety mean they need to be supervised in a clinic for two hours after each weekly dose of the drug. The huge amounts of clinical supervision involved could be a barrier to it being made widely available.

Earlier this year, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the US licensed the drug for treatment resistant depression. The decision was controversial because the FDA relaxed its usual rules for approving drugs on the basis of clinical need. Trial results have been mixed and mostly short-term, and some say the drug is not worth the $32,400 (£25,808) per patient per year that is charged for the drug in the US.

There are also questions about the long-term safety of taking ketamine-like substances, including whether patients could develop tolerance to it and whether, for some, it could act as a gateway into illegal drug-taking, as seen in the opioid crisis.

Rupert McShane, a consultant psychiatrist and associate professor at the University of Oxford who has treated hundreds of patients with chronic depression with intravenous ketamine, is calling for a registry to help monitor the effectiveness and any unexpected side effects if the drug is made more widely available.

There are also concerns that hype around the potential of ketamine to treat depression could lead some people to seek out the drug illegally and self-medicate.

“The potential for harm with long-term use is simply unknown,” McShane said. “It’s a drug, not a miracle,” he added. “Ketamine, in my experience, and esketamine, according to the data, are potent and potentially transformative antidepressants.”

Wes Boyd, associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard, said it was of concern that some clinical trials had not shown significant benefit compared to placebo and that another trial suggested that only some patients benefited.

“The cost of esketamine is dramatically high and comes with a very large and scary side-effect profile,” he said. “It is so potentially dangerous that clinicians are required to sit with patients for two hours after they are administered the drug. There is no other antidepressant that I know of that requires one hundredth of that kind of observation after administration. The upshot is that the drug is an over-hyped ripoff.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jul/12/ketamine-like-drug-for-depression-could-get-uk-licence-within-the-year

Edited by Buce