Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
glen parva fox

Nigel Pearson Derby Manager three year deal

He is trying to play 4-4-2 with a group of players that have been set up to play 4-3-3 for the last few seasons, and it`s not working.

The  players he has are not suited to play the way he wants, it will take him time, probably another couple of transfer windows, to assemble a squad that is capable of playing the way he wants them too.

Whether he gets the time is very debatable, probably not!

Plus he doesn`t have Steve Walsh with him, to pluck a Mahrez and such like, out of no where.

He also doesn`t have Shaky with him to help calm the waters either.

Personally i was surprised he didn`t take Liam Moore to Derby, who seems to have settled quite nicely at Reading.

Although Moore had not been anywhere his best in the last couple of season, he knew of the potential Moore has, and to be quite frank, i would make a better centre half than Richard Keogh, who is his captain, even though i`m fat and fifty odd!

If they give him time, i think he will probably turn them round, and maybe next season or the season after, have them challenging again, but time is in short supply in football, especially within championship clubs that can smell the money that`s awash in the premier league.

This all looks familiar with NP 

he will eventually work out 4-3-3 is the way with this squad 

they will go on a huge run get in play-offs and get promoted , that or he will be anus hunting in thialand with his son this Christmas after he gets sacked for sticking to 4-4-2 

The Derby forum is awash with threads demanding Nigel's sacking.

It's ok saying he needs 3 transfer windows to build a team capable of challenging but Derby were already a top 6 side when he came in and this won't have gone unnoticed by the Derby board.

Nigel has been given money to spend, Vydra and Anya were not good signings IMO, Vydra in particular has been doggo for 3 or 4 years and Anya soon got displaced when Watford got promoted. Even James Wilson failed to impress whilst at Brighton last season. The fans seemed mixed on Martin's departure as well.

Not sure what the Derby board are thinking but when the fans are giving up, it's only going to end one way. I just feel sorry for him as he's better than what this Derby team is showing him at the moment.

A sign of a top manager is someone who can do it at a number of clubs. Look at Eddie howe, couldn't do it at Burnley. Some managers are just suited to one club. Pearson was also hardly a massive success at Hull. From an outsider looking in it looks as though they have spent too much time working on the defensive side of things. Most of there games finish 1-0 either way or mostly always under 2.5 goals. 

10 hours ago, peterborofox said:

Just listened to the Np post match. 

Sol Bamba training with Derby too now 

That makes no sense whatsoever, he is the opposite of what Pearson wants in a defender and couldn't wait to get rid of him here. Has he lost the plot?

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

Just thinking, has there been another occasion where a man left his previous job after winning 7 in 9 then starting his next one winning 1 in 9, at a lower level too?

Probably someone like Henning Berg who pretty much ruined Blackburn in his short spell there?

I think Pearson probable wishes he could just rewind back to the beginning of the season. Or rewind full stop to a time when he wasnt Derby manager because his reputaiton and credibility is starting to take a severe beating.

Not much good saying they are playing ok in games and losing. Its a results business and they were getting results without him. Now they arent.

I thought there were signs there might be a mini recovery, a goal and decent point vs Bristol City and then a half respectable loss to Liverpool but the Blackburn result has put them right back to square one.

9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Bradley Johnson is not worth £600,000 currently let alone 6 million.

Tom Ince is not living up to to what many had hoped, average as you can get.

Ince has always been turd in my opinion, he had one good year at blackpool when everything clicked but even then it wasn't too difficult to pick up goals against Barnsley or Doncaster back then.

Pearson's limited. There's good and bad to the bloke but I've never seen him as a fluid thinker - a bloke who can analyse and react to a situation and instantly come up with the right answers. More a bloke who sometimes gets there in the end and that's high risk in what is often a "need-it-now" business  

Brilliant coaches don't have a system in mind and then collect the players to compliment that system. Brilliant coaches look at the players they've got and then decide the best approach to compliment the ability available and the strengths/weaknesses of the opposition in relation to your own capabilities.

If Pearson had a top six side all he really needed to do was to look at that team and its system, decide how best it could be instantly improved in terms of individual/collective performance (more goals/fewer conceded or preferably both) and simply get on with it.

You could see Pearson's limitations by the time it took him to make changes when things were going wrong in Leicester games - and the limitations of those changes on many occasions.

Even his utilising 3-5-2 took so much time it's a wonder he got there.

And then there were his off-field indiscretions. So many of his periphery problems were self-inflicted. Bad decisions seemingly connected to an inability to compromise his ego/instincts, for the better end.

In some ways I identify with that but it's the sort of own-goal stupidity you walk into as a teen and twenty rather than a grown man - unless you're as established as the likes of Sir  Alex Ferguson. Pearson never was and slipped almost as soon as the golden pedestal was placed in front of him.     

Pearson's hard, I don't doubt. But Ferguson's hard and canny. There's a world of difference and a whole lot of managerial silverware to emphasise the point.

I still  wish Pearson success because he, with others, paved the way for our current adventure and I'm greatful for that. But I'm reminded of one of my "thoughts for the day" where  Pearson's concerned.

"Thinking you're always right is a mistake in itself."  And Pearson was wrong a whole lot of times...on and off the field and it seems like the trend's continuing for now.

Wrong kind of project for him, going in there when their expectations are so high, they've spent a lot of money for that league and he doesn't know the players. He needs to find a blank canvas club that will actually give him some time to build similar to how he did here. 

Funny seeing the rams fume though, cheers NFP :P

22 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Wrong kind of project for him, going in there when their expectations are so high, they've spent a lot of money for that league and he doesn't know the players. He needs to find a blank canvas club that will actually give him some time to build similar to how he did here. 

Funny seeing the rams fume though, cheers NFP :P

Dont really get this train of thought.

The expectations were high because the club he took over, at that level, were good.

Are you suggesting he should have taken over someone more rubbish with no decent players to manage?

Just now, Donut said:

Are you suggesting he should have taken over someone more rubbish with no decent players to manage?

His style is to build steadily over a few seasons, laying a decent foundation with players he knows. He can't do that when he's inheriting an expensive squad with little team spirit, and the expectation is promotion in 9 months or he's out the door. 

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

His style is to build steadily over a few seasons, laying a decent foundation with players he knows. He can't do that when he's inheriting an expensive squad with little team spirit, and the expectation is promotion in 9 months or he's out the door. 

But the "expensive squad with no team spirit" were close to getting promoted, and miles better before he took them over.

This is the part i dont get.....why it would be harder to take over a team thats a good team than one up shitcreek where he has to spend ages slowly building?

Hes basically ballsed up unfortunately. Its his fault.

Derby have been top 8 for what feels like years but have only once been close to promotion (Zamora last minute winner :D)

Its clear that something needed to change there and it's clear (to Leicester fans at least) that he knows what he's doing in terms of restarting a squad.

Results need to improve, there is no doubt of that. You can't say that they're playing well when they're leaking goals and are unable to score.

The squad is underperforming but the same squad has proven that it's not good enough for promotion, which is the club's aim.

Time is what Pearson needs because he will get there. But will he get it? I highly doubt it.

Archived