Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

LCFC U21 / Development Squad 2016/17

They used be very successful under beagle hole and play attractive ip tempo football, maybe just maybe they're  now bring encouraged to play long ball like the first  team. 

There's  nothing wrong with having a club wide football playing strategy but I'm  jot convinced the way the 1st team play has any longevity  and was only adopted to suit the players we had.

Our first team's style of play isn't really constructive to development. It's based a lot around physicality which is something that a lot of these youngsters will develop naturally. Surely at that age they ought to be working on their technical ability and tactical awareness above anything.

On 9/11/2016 at 16:19, davieG said:

They used be very successful under beagle hole and play attractive ip tempo football, maybe just maybe they're  now bring encouraged to play long ball like the first  team. 

There's  nothing wrong with having a club wide football playing strategy but I'm  jot convinced the way the 1st team play has any longevity  and was only adopted to suit the players we had.

There are always exceptions but coaches and managers can easily become part of the furniture of a place and start losing their impact. Everyone has their own way of doing things and naturally favours any approach that made them successful. But times change, tactics change, even the way of doing the job and even the best coaches can get jaded or dated.

I watched a lot of Beaglehole's successes and, indeed the progress of players like King, Gradel and one or two more as a result. It was an exciting team which played enlightened football at times. 

It was never perfect but the club was at such a level as it wasn't impossible for people to break into the first team - King, Gradel, Wesolowski, Billy McKay went to the Scottish Premiership, Mattock from Leicester to West Brom and even Levi  Porter had a sustained run in our first team before his career imploded. 

It was probably the nearest we got to a footballing assembly line and I have to wonder if some of the incentive's gone now from within the youth set-up because, as i warned long ago and on many occasions, we just don't have the means of "finishing" our products to Premiership level anymore. And people on £30,000-100,000 a week only make vacancies less likely. 

A combination of things works against the youngsters no matter how many prestigious overseas tournaments or under 23 matches they play and it's hard to see the trend improving for all the theoretical effort that's been made.

What's the use of rules enforcing a certain number of development players in a squad if we don't use them. Surely there was an opportunity at Anfield but people like Gray and Chilwell stayed sat on the sidelines.

These people need to be properly involved regularly, not occasionally, to make any progress but it's not happening nearly enough.

We'd rather bring in ready made players than give youngsters the settling-in period they need. And what do we do with the ready-made players? Indulge them while they settle and make all sorts of excuses for them if they struggle. Ironic that.  

No, I don't expect any sympathy for this view - nor do I bother watching our youth football anymore because there seems so little purpose to it. I just feel sad about so much talent going to waste, not just here but at so many big clubs.                

Archived