Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue and white

What do you miss most about being a kid?

It's amazing how long those summer holidays used to feel. They were only 7 weeks maximum but felt like an actual lifetime and were filled with so many adventures. These days I could burn 7 weeks in what feels like a minute and have no memories to show for it.

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Being spanked by teachers

lol

I'm sure there are web sites through which you could arrange to repeat the experience.

There might even be teachers on here who would indulge you for an appropriate fee....

Hot summers

Playing tennis down at the park courts when Wimbledon was on until it was so dark you couldn't see the balls

Playing footy down the park with fifteen a side

Playing cricket down the park with full 11 a side when the parky has mown a special cricket pitch for us

Jubblies

Aztec bars

Getting batter bits with your bag of chips

Catching the bus in to town and walking down to Filbert Street with your mates.

- Playing football twice a day most days: at school lunchtimes or at 'the rec" in the evening

- Cycling to school, feeling free because I could cycle to the sweet shop if I wanted (age 10)

- Surreptitiously walking past girls doing handstands so as to look at their knickers and wondering what the tingling in my willy was (age 10)

- Making the girl I fancied laugh so much that her Dad sent her to her room & realising I had some power (age 11)

- The bittersweet pleasure of seeing that same girl at the bus stop every day, but being too shy/tongue-tied/cowardly to talk to her properly (age 12-13)

- My Mum's roast beef dinners with Yorkshire pudding

- Getting a Milky Lunch chocolate bar at the tuck shop (age 12-13)

- Feeling really hungry after swimming & getting Quavers from the vending machine or nougat from the shop

- My Dad singing, reciting poetry or cracking witty jokes

- My Mum saying something cheeky or feisty

- Listening to my parents' records - Dubliners, Clancy Bros, Greek folk, African Highlife, McCormack, jazz, Cilla, Fats Domino (age 5-11)

- Meeting my wide range of interesting uncles/aunts (almost all gone now)

- Early breakfast with my Grandma, just the 2 of us, on a stool in her kitchen, the clock ticking, her gas cooker making a warm, blue glow - or going into her cold pantry (no fridge)

- Test Match cricket on all day on normal TV (age 12ish)

- Watching Sweet, Slade, Bowie, T. Rex, Roxy Music, Alvin Stardust, Abba and, er, Gary Glitter on TOTP (age 10-12)

- Hearing "Do anything you wanna do" by The Rods for the first time & expecting to see people rush out of their homes to change the world ("Searching for adventure is the type of life to find" - I want that lyric on my gravestone!)

- The whole excitement and expression of the punk rock / new wave outburst (age 14-16)  

- Realising that I wasn't in loads of trouble for punching JB in class & giving him a bloody nose (age 10)

- AH's face when he realised I'd beaten him in the school English exam (age 14), though he got the last laugh as he's an English Professor now

- Picking enormous mushrooms in the field on the way back from my paper round (age 13-14)

- Stealing copies of "Knave" from my paper round and hiding them in the cowshed for subsequent, er, stimulation - no cows involved (age 13-14)

- Talking to the old WW1 veteran on my paper round (would love to go back and ask about his experiences - didn't know what to ask at the time)

- ITV theme music for Argentina 1978 World Cup (age 15)

- Going to Kent county cricket matches with my maroon Kent cap on

- The Folkestone Town team clopping out down the concrete tunnel, smelling of embrocation with "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" coming out of the loudspeakers (a Ringo song, I think)

Enough already!

I still think being an adult is easier, though.

18 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

- Playing football twice a day most days: at school lunchtimes or at 'the rec" in the evening

- Cycling to school, feeling free because I could cycle to the sweet shop if I wanted (age 10)

- Surreptitiously walking past girls doing handstands so as to look at their knickers and wondering what the tingling in my willy was (age 10)

- Making the girl I fancied laugh so much that her Dad sent her to her room & realising I had some power (age 11)

- The bittersweet pleasure of seeing that same girl at the bus stop every day, but being too shy/tongue-tied/cowardly to talk to her properly (age 12-13)

- My Mum's roast beef dinners with Yorkshire pudding

- Getting a Milky Lunch chocolate bar at the tuck shop (age 12-13)

- Feeling really hungry after swimming & getting Quavers from the vending machine or nougat from the shop

- My Dad singing, reciting poetry or cracking witty jokes

- My Mum saying something cheeky or feisty

- Listening to my parents' records - Dubliners, Clancy Bros, Greek folk, African Highlife, McCormack, jazz, Cilla, Fats Domino (age 5-11)

- Meeting my wide range of interesting uncles/aunts (almost all gone now)

- Early breakfast with my Grandma, just the 2 of us, on a stool in her kitchen, the clock ticking, her gas cooker making a warm, blue glow - or going into her cold pantry (no fridge)

- Test Match cricket on all day on normal TV (age 12ish)

- Watching Sweet, Slade, Bowie, T. Rex, Roxy Music, Alvin Stardust, Abba and, er, Gary Glitter on TOTP (age 10-12)

- Hearing "Do anything you wanna do" by The Rods for the first time & expecting to see people rush out of their homes to change the world ("Searching for adventure is the type of life to find" - I want that lyric on my gravestone!)

- The whole excitement and expression of the punk rock / new wave outburst (age 14-16)  

- Realising that I wasn't in loads of trouble for punching JB in class & giving him a bloody nose (age 10)

- AH's face when he realised I'd beaten him in the school English exam (age 14), though he got the last laugh as he's an English Professor now

- Picking enormous mushrooms in the field on the way back from my paper round (age 13-14)

- Stealing copies of "Knave" from my paper round and hiding them in the cowshed for subsequent, er, stimulation - no cows involved (age 13-14)

- Talking to the old WW1 veteran on my paper round (would love to go back and ask about his experiences - didn't know what to ask at the time)

- ITV theme music for Argentina 1978 World Cup (age 15)

- Going to Kent county cricket matches with my maroon Kent cap on

- The Folkestone Town team clopping out down the concrete tunnel, smelling of embrocation with "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" coming out of the loudspeakers (a Ringo song, I think)

Enough already!

I still think being an adult is easier, though.

A lot of this I find fascinating but I have to ask, what sort of newsagent distributes Knave magazine via its paperboys?

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

A lot of this I find fascinating but I have to ask, what sort of newsagent distributes Knave magazine via its paperboys?

A 1970s village newsagent. I nicked it several times but nobody ever complained.

Much better stuff than the Mayfairs & Penthouses boys used to sell at school.

27 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

A 1970s village newsagent. I nicked it several times but nobody ever complained.

We used to slip a copy inside the mercury and go and pay for that all innocent like. 

Playing 17 a-side football in the playground and booting around a medium-sized stick because no-one had remembered to bring a ball. When you got bored of that, playing cricket with your hand tucked into your sleeve as a bat.

Great days. Brings a tear to my eye.

7 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Playing 17 a-side football in the playground and booting around a medium-sized stick because no-one had remembered to bring a ball. When you got bored of that, playing cricket with your hand tucked into your sleeve as a bat.

Great days. Brings a tear to my eye.

We used to do the football thing using a tennis ball, the playground was 3 brick walls and the school building so perfect for rebounds to get pass someone.

The first ever "copping a feel" on a girl

Spangles

Playing football in the street till after dark

Knock-door-run (or ratattat ginger)

Scrumping from Appleton's orchard.

Having too much fun to be bothered going home for a "bob" and curling one out in a bush then having to find big enough leaves to wipe yer arse.

Playing ginger and putting stones on railway tracks

Jumping on the open platform at the back of a moving double decker bus

Jumping off the open platform at the back of a moving double decker bus and running alongside holding onto the pole. My mate did that once and couldn't get his legs moving fast enough and fell on his face... how we larrfed.

Peter Stuyvesant ciggies, made you feel so posh.

When Irish didn't sell all the crap they do now and going to get raised seam two tone tonic trousers

My tricycle

My pedal car

Making our own "trolley" (soap box car it would be these days) and nailing the axles of old prams on wood to make a set of wheels.

Having to buy Dr White's for my mum and wondering why the shopkeeper put the package in a paper bag.

The smell of steam trains

The excitement of going to London

Hanging my school shirts in front of the open fire in winter to get them warm before putting them on.

Shoes with a compass in the heel to be worn only for school

Making slides on icy roads

Dens

Playing cowboys and Indians with sticks for guns

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm wondering if this still happens. Might be a bit embarrassing when the wife goes to pay the papers.

'That's 12 Leicester Mercurys, Practical Steam Engine Maintenance Weekly, and the usual jazz mags, Mrs Bellend'

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm wondering if this still happens. Might be a bit embarrassing when the wife goes to pay the papers.

'That's 12 Leicester Mercurys, Practical Steam Engine Maintenance Weekly, and the usual jazz mags, Mrs Bellend'

Which is more embarrassing.....being revealed to be a train spotter or a willy puller? :whistle:

Star Fleet on the telly Saturday morning

Chips on the telly around sunday lunch time

Fish and chips wrapped in news papers

a 1/4 of choc lick costing 30p from that newsagents on clarendon Park road ( from that man who had well weird hands who  parents complained about and made him wear white gloves).

Sherbet dips

Pacers ( kind of like chewits but a minty green flavour and were green and white stripes)

Playing marbles on the drain covers

Being able to go for a long walk with my sisters with just a jam butty in my carrier bag without my mum freaking out

School trips to Beaumanor Hall and Hothorpe Hall

Not having to pay bills

Archived