Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Derby Away Pre-Match Thread

6 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Yes five games is absolutely enough to see he's not very good.

Are you being serious?

Can you name a single outfield players who has put together 5 good outings all season? I'd be struggling with players who have played the full amount, let along just 5.  The issue is the collective and not individuals, we shouldn't be judging anyone when even people who performed consistently for us previously, are serving up dog muck week in, week out. Imagine someone only watching Drinkwater this season for 5 muck games and judging him solely on those.

1 hour ago, Dickov22 said:

Yes five games is absolutely enough to see he's not very good. Agree Vardy is out of form but you don't drop your best player when he's out of form unless you have a good alternative to him. Get behind him. He always comes good and you should know that by now. 

The irony of dismissing Musa after 5 games then backing up Vardy, who took a full year to get up to Championship standard...

3 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

I saw on The Merc website yesterday, Alex Pascanu training with the first team.

Is this a normal thing or is it a sign he could be looking at a promotion?

Has anybody seen him play? anybody got an reliable opinion on him?

I've seen his name in the U23's for a while now, but not really followed his progress.

Any good intel on him from somebody?

ta. 

My cousin played football with him at a young age, he of course was a million miles ahead of anyone on the pitch. Saying that he was 8/9

My uncle stayed friends with his dad and watches him play every so often, says nothing but positives. Good on the ball, fast, strong, and a willingness to get forward

1 hour ago, MaxR said:

My cousin played football with him at a young age, he of course was a million miles ahead of anyone on the pitch. Saying that he was 8/9

My uncle stayed friends with his dad and watches him play every so often, says nothing but positives. Good on the ball, fast, strong, and a willingness to get forward

You got me at 'good on the ball'

Thanks for that, let's hope your Uncles words all come true, sounds promising. 

2 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

Yes five games is absolutely enough to see he's not very good. Agree Vardy is out of form but you don't drop your best player when he's out of form unless you have a good alternative to him. Get behind him. He always comes good and you should know that by now. 

Its too flippant to say Vardy and Slimani can't play together. They're professional footballers. I think we keep trying it, give them a real run of games together. 

Wow. There's no talking to someone who dismisses a guy after hardly any starts but backs players who have been shit all season. How can you possibly deny that Musa isn't good enough? He tore apart Barcelona down the middle tore apart Everton down the middle and scored 2 on left mid, and has had a handful of appearances, he's a million times more of a handful than Okazaki who spends the whole game on the floor. I also never said Vardy couldn't play with Slimani I was saying Slimani plays upfront alone with good effect so Vardy can not use the excuse he's isolated.

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Didn't they watch many games this season, where we got annihilated in a 442? 

Man Utd and Liverpool away, for instance, which literally could have been 6/7 1

:whistle:

3 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Keep on clinging to the past .

:whistle:

No I’m not clinging to the past with 4-4-2. Well I am a little bit, but with significant evidence to suggest that our players can perform much better in this system.

Some people are of the opinion that a change in formation is the magic wand that will change our fortunes. I don’t believe that this is the case and that the application of the players and their current form is as much to do with our demise.

Taking the results against Liverpool and Manchester United as an example. Liverpool, at the time, were playing some of the best football that any team has played this season, which unfortunately coincided with when we played them. Manchester United didn’t beat us because we played 4-4-2, but because we defended appallingly at 3 set pieces. I would argue that both results were down to the form of certain players and their application - and maybe a little to do with having Amartey instead of Kante (but I think it's much more complicated than that).

Unfortunately we are limited to the players we have, particularly in the defensive positions. In my view the lack of an attacking midfielder from a central position and the lack of full backs who are really capable of creating width (especially with the two pedestrian CMs they’d leave exposed) means that 4-3-3 is not an option. Well it might be if we want to set up defensively and simply hope for the best.

I think we have to reappraise our expectations and realise that competing with Man Utd and Liverpool are not realistic this season. We now have to set ourselves up with the best chance of taking points from teams like Middlesbrough, Southampton and Burnley. I’m inclined to think that 4-4-2 will garner enough points off the teams around us to keep us safe this season. It’s not a progressive system that will kick us on from last season, but the best hope we have with the current squad. Tinkering with the formation will not help the players apply themselves better, but simply confuse them more.

Unless you believe that a formation change is the magic formula. It’s not simply for nostalgic reasons that I don’t believe that it is.

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Are you being serious?

Can you name a single outfield players who has put together 5 good outings all season? I'd be struggling with players who have played the full amount, let along just 5.  The issue is the collective and not individuals, we shouldn't be judging anyone when even people who performed consistently for us previously, are serving up dog muck week in, week out. Imagine someone only watching Drinkwater this season for 5 muck games and judging him solely on those.

Im absolutely serious. Musa is a terrible terrible footballer and will never ever make it here. I'll remind you of this post when you agree with me which you will sooner or later. 

29 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

You got me at 'good on the ball'

Thanks for that, let's hope your Uncles words all come true, sounds promising. 

Indeed! Also played for the U23s with Kapustka and Benalouane,  and is a Romanian u19 international. Can only be positive!

2 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

The irony of dismissing Musa after 5 games then backing up Vardy, who took a full year to get up to Championship standard...

Two problems with that argument though.

1. Vardy's progress is a rarity.

2. We weren't in the summer and aren't now in a position to sign players for £16m and give them a year to show any sort of form.

48 minutes ago, Foxy_jim said:

Wow. There's no talking to someone who dismisses a guy after hardly any starts but backs players who have been shit all season. How can you possibly deny that Musa isn't good enough? He tore apart Barcelona down the middle tore apart Everton down the middle and scored 2 on left mid, and has had a handful of appearances, he's a million times more of a handful than Okazaki who spends the whole game on the floor. I also never said Vardy couldn't play with Slimani I was saying Slimani plays upfront alone with good effect so Vardy can not use the excuse he's isolated.

Lets see then - lets reconvene this conversation at the end of the season.....

7 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Two problems with that argument though.

1. Vardy's progress is a rarity.

2. We weren't in the summer and aren't now in a position to sign players for £16m and give them a year to show any sort of form.

I think Musa has shown enough to demonstrate that he can be a handful in the Prem. The majority of it has been in his brief cameos down the middle- he doesn't have the technical ability to play on the wing, and I think he's been utilised poorly throughout the season.

The whole team has been utter turd all season as well- none of our forward players have excelled, partly because they are feeding off scraps.

I'm not saying he's going to turn into Ronaldo. However he's shown glimpses of brilliance, he's an international captain, and he's 24- well worth giving him more of a chance than he's had.

He's more than capable of running Derby ragged, that's for certain.

1 minute ago, Ted Maul said:

I think Musa has shown enough to demonstrate that he can be a handful in the Prem. The majority of it has been in his brief cameos down the middle- he doesn't have the technical ability to play on the wing, and I think he's been utilised poorly throughout the season.

The whole team has been utter turd all season as well- none of our forward players have excelled, partly because they are feeding off scraps.

I'm not saying he's going to turn into Ronaldo. However he's shown glimpses of brilliance, he's an international captain, and he's 24- well worth giving him more of a chance than he's had.

He's more than capable of running Derby ragged, that's for certain.

I know he can be a handful on the odd occasion, but for me if you've got that much of a lack of technical ability and intelligence you won't make it at this level. We'll see, but I'm certainly not happy about signing him when he's looked one of the worst players I've ever seen in the Premier League in the majority of his matches. I think he's a bizarre purchase when he looks to have such limited potential.

I'm happy to give him a chance against Derby if he's going to put in some effort, which tbf to him, I can't really question him on so far.

Archived