Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Yastafox

Next Manager?

Just now, Thracian said:

What a horrible prospect. It was bad enough watching England.  

It was awful watching England, without doubt. He was never the right man for that job. But it's worth saying that, performance-wise, his England side was no outlier when you consider pretty much every England side from about 2004 onwards.

His Fulham and West Brom sides weren't dreadful to watch as I remember them. And they performed well in terms of league position. 7th and 12th (and a European final) with Fulham, 10th and 8th with West Brom. 

As I said in my original post on him, I'd prefer Wagner or Monk, philosophically. Their high pressing, fluid movement approaches are much more in line with my own preferences. But such an approach would be badly exposed with our slow and static centre backs and we'd go down. If we are to go down then what was the point in the pain of this last week?

1 minute ago, Nickfosse said:

To be fair, he selected Vardy before his goal scoring record run, so saw something in him. Didn't he also attend a lot of our games when he was England manager so should have an idea of what we are about?

Let's for one moment forget he's Roy Hodgson. You line up what he brings and I could see the appeal to the owners as I said months ago.

As you say, good knowledge of our team and players. Knowledge of our opposition. Experience of getting teams out of this situation. Tactically excellent at West Brom and Fulham with pretty instant impact. Good with the press as the owners like and a "name". 

Add in the fact he's chummy with one Sir Dave Richards, who is also pally with the owners.

I get the opposition, he doesn't come across very inspirational but it's about players buying into your ideas. That's why I'd be interested in what ourbtwi England lads thought of him.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

:crylaugh:

People talk about Pearson being a step back, looking backwards and then Woy fucking Hodgson's name get's mentioned!!!

I feel sick. :sick:

This post is madness. I'd welcome Pearson back. But Hodgson's CV is objectively far superior. Even in the last decade he has managed three top ten Premier League finishes and a Europa League final with unfashionable clubs. 

Just now, LJS said:

This post is madness. I'd welcome Pearson back. But Hodgson's CV is objectively far superior. Even in the last decade he has managed three top ten Premier League finishes and a Europa League final with unfashionable clubs. 

Last Decade.

The blokes a dinosaur.

Just now, LJS said:

But but but he's old, got a speech impediment... and failed with England and Liverpool like pretty much every manager has for 30 years.

Just now, Matt said:

Last Decade.

The blokes a dinosaur.

He certainly isn't what you'd call a modern manager, tactically speaking. But then Pearson can hardly be accused of that himself. Hodgson's keep-it-tight-counter-attack preferred style would suit our existing players.

Hodgson has been out of work since resigning as England manager in June

Hodgson resigned as England manager last summer after the humiliating last-16 exit to Iceland at Euro 2016 - which would make him a hard sell to Leicester City's fans after the much-loved Ranieri. 

It's worth remembering, though, that he kept Fulham up after being appointed in December 2007 when they were 18th, two points from safety and had only won two league games before he arrived. He subsequently took them to the Europa League final. 

Hodgson also performed solidly at West Bromwich Albion, where his pragmatic, organised style worked. He wants to return to football and Leicester has the sort of profile that might suit him. He is experienced and has never lacked confidence.

Suitability: 6

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39077501

As Leicester fans it seems we have become spoilt. Wasnt that long ago we would accept our new manager and hope for the best. Who knew Pearson would do as well as he did? Or Ranieri for that matter. There might be some uninspiring potential new managers on the shortlist, but half of this forum could be worshipping them in 6 months. Lets just wait and see eh?

5 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

Worryingly I can see us being interested in Hodgson. 

If it wasn't for England debacle I'd be up for having him. But since about 2012 he looks like he has turned senile to be honest. 

Probably end up having Slimani taking corners. 

I have admit I can likely seeing it be Hodgson now, as mentioned though I don't think he's going to be the long term. It'll be just till the end of season which I think Hodgson would be happy with. I think he's desperate to clean up his career since the England job and would take any short term contract. 

If we seriously sack Claudio to bring in Hodgson everyone concerned can go **** themselves. 

He should never be allowed to work in football again after his performance and then reaction to the Euros last summer. 

If you look back though alot of ex england gaffers the next job then go on to there a success. Keegan in 2000 left England a year later he turned up at Man City and got them promoted back to the top flight in the first time of asking. Sven in 2006 took a year out of the game like Keegan ended up at Man City and did a reasonable job there, achieving a top ten finish. McClaren went to Holland to manage FC Twente first year he won the title there!... Capello doesn't count cause he didn't go back into club management. Hodgson?

I'd ignore the England job as an indicator of anything. It's an outlier. There is so much more wrong with the England set-up, from top to bottom, than whoever happens to be coach at any given time.

None of that is to say that Hodgson wasn't a poor England coach. He most certainly was. But no England manager is adequately supported by the wider system.

I was apocalyptically angry with him for the England debacle, but Hodgson did do sound jobs at WBA and Fulham.

As an overseer for the rest of the season, we could do a lot worse.

Bring Gary Neville in as his assistant.

I wouldn't be unhappy with this.

Just now, Tuna said:

I was apocalyptically angry with him for the England debacle, but Hodgson did do sound jobs at WBA and Fulham.

As an overseer for the rest of the season, we could do a lot worse.

Bring Gary Neville in as his assistant.

I wouldn't be unhappy with this.

I can't see Hodgson accepting a short term deal. If it's him I expect him to be around for two or three seasons at least. No big club would touch him now. He'd actually be a pretty stable appointment. A couple of seasons in the top ten would be no bad thing.

1 hour ago, LJS said:

It seems a shame that as a fanbase we are somewhat divided between pro and ani-Pearson factions, with some (at the extremes) determined to believe that the title win was his work and others that it was all Ranieri. The reality will be somewhere in between. It is no criticism of Pearson to suggest that he'd never have won the league with the same squad, nor is it one of Ranieri to declare that he benefited from the infrastructure built under Pearson. I'm sure both managers would be happy to accept those things themselves.

I was, and remain, very disappointed that Ranieri was sacked. I think it was the wrong decision for the club to make. But he was sacked and we move on. I was also disappointed when Pearson was sacked. I thought it was the wrong decision to make. It just goes to show how wrong you can be.

If Pearson is reappointed I'd welcome him. I liked him being our manager and he did a fantastic job. Ranieri's  subsequent achievement doesn't detract from that. I'd have happily had Ranieri here until until he retired. At the end of 2014/15 I had the same view of Pearson. Things may not have worked out for him elsewhere but I remain a fan; we know what he is capable of given the right level of support, and importantly for a manager like Pearson who is not an "impact" manager, time.

Is he my first choice? No. But would he be a good one? I think so.

Agreed. Every word??

Archived