Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Interview with sports psychologist who was sacked by Ranieri

22 hours ago, Captain... said:

Disagree, the players role is to carry out the managers instruction to the best of their abilities. They shouldn't get distracted questioning the manager. A psychologist will help them to focus on their own game and not let themselves get distracted by tactics that aren't working. Our back 4 should still have been able to defend despite Ranieri's duff tactics going forwards but they lost focus distracted by 'rule changes' and poor results, dissatisfaction in their team mates and couldn't do the basics.

Edit: And the sports psychologist's job is to help the players carry out the manager's instruction even if he or the players or the fans think they are crap.

I see what you're saying and you're right when the instructions are sound. But when they're not, not speaking up does nothing but allow you to fail with a better team spirit. Applying the handbrake, shoving the driver out and reversing back the way you came is somewhat better than cheering as you hurtle off a cliff, as long you're sure there really is a cliff ahead...

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I see what you're saying and you're right when the instructions are sound. But when they're not, not speaking up does nothing but allow you to fail with a better team spirit. Applying the handbrake, shoving the driver out and reversing back the way you came is somewhat better than cheering as you hurtle off a cliff, as long you're sure there really is a cliff ahead...

But that is not the responsibility of the players, maybe some of the senior players could talk to the gaffer, but even then when it comes to game time they need to follow instructions otherwise you have chaos on the pitch. If the manager tells you to do something you have to do it even if you fundamentally disagree with it because the rest of your teammates are relying on you to do your job.

The DOF and the owners are there to ensure the manager isn't leading players over the cliff, the players job is to follow the manager.

18 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But that is not the responsibility of the players, maybe some of the senior players could talk to the gaffer, but even then when it comes to game time they need to follow instructions otherwise you have chaos on the pitch. If the manager tells you to do something you have to do it even if you fundamentally disagree with it because the rest of your teammates are relying on you to do your job.

The DOF and the owners are there to ensure the manager isn't leading players over the cliff, the players job is to follow the manager.

I can agree in most situations. But when you have tried to communicate your worries to superiors without publicly causing a rift, but still you're heading on a course you cannot agree with, and you continue to see results that confirm your fears, I think you have to do what you believe is right. I despised seeing Vardy and King's reaction in the first Seville match, but if they knew acting like this was the only way to stop them hurtling off that cliff, I can't help but decide the rebellion was in fact correct. It's an art to know when to silently obey, and when to loudly rebel, but sometimes the latter is correct.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

We'll find out Monday when CR tells the world.

• He realised the same tactics as last year would not work with the amount of games this year
  • He wanted to change tactics to enable rotation
  • He realised the Team were getting older and change was inevitable
  • The players didn't like the way he wanted to it
  • The backroom staff supported the players
  • He got alienated from the group
  • The owners realised that they were in danger of losing money and prestige
  • CR became the scapegoat or the sacrificial lamb

History will show whether this is correct or not, but it's the theory that I believe.

Before anyone jumps to the keyboard and starts telling me I'm way off the mark................. It's a theory based on a previous column I read about CRs tenure at Chelsea with an interview with Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank and Zola.

Obviously I may be wrong, I am also grateful that the owners took the decision they did............. because I wouldn't have had the balls

the-change-curve.jpg.b420e9fcd4f97a917efc9b971caaec2a.jpg   

I know I've put this on before but it might just explain why Ken Way might have been the cog in the wheel that CR was missing when he really needed it.

And lastly, has anyone met anyone who was sacked that were happy by the way they were treated.........I'm talking about KW not CR

Edited by Chico1958
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chico1958 said:

We'll find out Monday when CR tells the world.

• He realised the same tactics as last year would not work with the amount of games this year
  • He wanted to change tactics to enable rotation
  • He realised the Team were getting older and change was inevitable
  • The players didn't like the way he wanted to it
  • The backroom staff supported the players
  • He got alienated from the group
  • The owners realised that they were in danger of losing money and prestige

History will show whether this is correct or not, but it's the theory that I believe.

Before anyone jumps to the keyboard and starts telling me I'm way off the mark................. It's a theory based on a previous column I read about CRs tenure at Chelsea with an interview with Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank and Zola.

Obviously I may be wrong, I am also grateful that the owners took the decision they did............. because I wouldn't have had the balls

the-change-curve.jpg.b420e9fcd4f97a917efc9b971caaec2a.jpg   

I know I've put this on before but it might just explain why Ken Way might have been the cog in the wheel that CR was missing when he really need it.

And lastly, has anyone met anyone who was sacked that was happy by the way they were treated.........I'm talking about KW not CR

What about the visiting sick relative bit then coming back just before match day and changing the game plan at the last minute ..   And playing one or more players who perhaps shouldn't be starting cus he hasn't seen them during the week.   Not totally disagreeing with you but, if these points are true, surely they put a different spin on things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

What about the visiting sick relative bit then coming back just before match day and changing the game plan at the last minute ..   And playing one or more players who perhaps shouldn't be starting cus he hasn't seen them during the week.   Not totally disagreeing with you but, if these points are true, surely they put a different spin on things.

It's just a Theory, I've worked on Change as part of my work for years and it's a very difficult challenge for all concerned.

Including the People, the Team, the people that are no longer required, the Manager who has to impliment it. All of them need support but they need eachother more. Have a look for Kotter it's interesting subject   :thumbup:

So it's like at my work where a new computer software program was installed that was very different from how I worked. I didn't want it but the boss insisted I would learn to use it and my performance would improve. So I'm supposed to go through the change curve and eventually I would become a better salesman.

Only the issue is the same. We won the f'in league and been top salesman for seven years straight.

Change it and the curve will dip massively to start with. The trouble is the dip is too dramatic and nearly cost us premier league status and my company their best accounts.

Resulting in ditch it quick before people get laid off. Unfortunately I believe that as in business, football is about the next result not a greater plan as there isn't enough time for any changes to take effect.

Very interesting thread this. 

5 hours ago, Chico1958 said:

Scapegoat, thank goodness! He wasn't innocent enough to be a sacrificial lamb, but when he got the knife, everyone could let it take out a lot of other "sins" (lack of confidence, intrasquad troubles, etc.) And that's not a bad thing! 

• Like 1

He just needed to go no matter which way you look at it. 

The tell tale sign for me is he never once blamed his players for not carrying out his instructions, in fact on numerous occasions he publically backed them and said they were doing as they were told. If that was the case he's the reason we're so lack lustre and if not you don't back players not playing your way, critise in public or give a diplomatic answer and deal with it In house, but don't take the blame as it sends out the wrong message to media fans and players.

11 hours ago, Chico1958 said:

It's just a Theory, I've worked on Change as part of my work for years and it's a very difficult challenge for all concerned.

Including the People, the Team, the people that are no longer required, the Manager who has to impliment it. All of them need support but they need eachother more. Have a look for Kotter it's interesting subject   :thumbup:

What you really mean then is you haven't done any real work for years

In football, people are always looking for a simple, short-term answer. Why did Ranieri get sacked? 'Oh, players must have just stopped playing for him.'

In the end, I think that may have been the case. However, what the majority of pundits, journalists and fans of other clubs haven't considered is the reasons why. It certainly wasn't the reason we started losing in the first place. Ranieri got it badly wrong this season, everyone who has watched us regularly could see that. It wasn't out of choice that they ultimately stopped playing for him, but the result of a long, drawn out season of frustration and exasperation. 

I mean, I certainly lost faith in him, and all I saw was what was happening on the pitch- if reports of him changing tactics, training sessions etc. at the last second and leaving for days at a time were true, why the hell wouldn't the players lose total faith in him?! If you know that you're capable of being one of the best teams in the country, and all that is holding you back is an old manager trying to implement his old school approach and abandon the winning formula, you'd be incredibly frustrated.

Above all, these players have been through plenty and showed their worth enough at this club over the years to be given the benefit of the doubt. We've got a collection of club legends and cult heroes in that squad, and I'm glad not many true Leicester fans bought into the faux outrage in the media following the sacking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ramadaone said:

What you really mean then is you haven't done any real work for years

Some people that I work with might agree with that statement      :thumbup:

But just for you I've updated my profile .............. ;)   Enjoy

On 06/04/2017 at 09:40, bald reynard said:

Ken Way talking to an Irish newspaper today.  He thinks Nige would have won the League as well as Claudio !  I definitely don't agree with him on that Pearson point - but I do think he makes some important comments about Shaky and the attitude of the players:-

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/ken-way-leicester-would-have-won-the-title-under-nigel-pearson-447085.html 

I fully agree with him that Nige would have won the league.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

If you know that you're capable of being one of the best teams in the country, and all that is holding you back is an old manager trying to implement his old school approach and abandon the winning formula, you'd be incredibly frustrated.

:schmike:

37 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If this bloke was so good how come he couldn't stop Nige from losing the plot?

He tried on several occasions of curbing a senior at the club who's half time and full time 'motivational' talks were/ are out of the 70s-80s ala Peter Reed, Bassett (Harry and Mike!)/ Kinnear, Sitton, Colin Waanker etc so not infallible.

He was disappointed when I told him for a fact that it still happens. I'm able but can't say how i know.

Said Nige had a massive dressing room presence. Not sure I or Ken Way would tell him he's a fruit loop particularly within nutting distance.

Edited by Bob Hazels shorts

31 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

He tried on several occasions of curbing a senior at the club who's half time and full time 'motivational' talks were/ are out of the 70s-80s ala Peter Reed, Bassett (Harry and Mike!)/ Kinnear, Sitton, Colin Waanker etc so not infallible.

He was disappointed when I told him for a fact that it still happens. I'm able but can't say how i know.

Said Nige had a massive dressing room presence. Not sure I or Ken Way would tell him he's a fruit loop particularly within nutting distance.

He has a firm but fair dressing room presence. It isn't dirty, it's to the point, but encouraging.

Nige has always had the players utmost respect in all his job roles. Enough said for me. He puts the players above himself as well, hense his soaking up of media pressure, rather than selling them to the lions ala Jose. That's not losing it, it is playing a game to reduce the pressure on and media spotlight on the players. I have huge admiration for what he did for this club, especially during the great escape. 

Anyway he's gone and so has Claudio. New man has put the old tactics back in and we are flying again. No coincidences here. Well played Mr Shakespeare. Now onwards and upwards. 

Claudio got himself the sack by making us play to stop the other team, rather than allowing us to play our game and have others fear us. He tinkered too much without putting in the correct support to upskill his staff and as a result got himself the sack. No more to it than that!

• 1 year later...