Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Interview with sports psychologist who was sacked by Ranieri

6 minutes ago, erlee said:

>> The biggest single reason why Jamie Vardy started to score goals for Leicester City is because Claudio Ranieri moved him from the wing to a more central position. <<

really?? the last i see., he was still playing as a Striker for CR ..in a central position

The biggest single reason why Jamie Vardy isn't scoring so many goals now is because opposing teams have sussed us out and defend deeper.

If we change our style of play, instead of just lumping the ball over the top, then he may start scoring again.

Or perhaps we should ask the psychologist to pop down to Belvoir Drive and have a word with the boys eh? I'm sure that'll do the trick.

Sports psychologist sacked by Ranieri blames lack of sports psychologists on Ranieri's downfall.

I've learnt that unlike last season the mood in the dressing room was not good. And Ranieri did not help it improve.

That said, I enjoyed the article and I learnt little. Good writing.

I'll add only this thought. If you don't believe in the possibility of psychology etc, then you also don't believe that propaganda can be a 'thing', that the papers can overly influence our thought processes, and that we are all capable of being objective, and having separate, discrete, rational thought.

I put it to you that our minds are very malleable, and every one of us is prone to influences, malign or otherwise.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

How do you know, that the almost incredible performance

improvement of Vardy was due to Mr Way and not to Ranieri?

It was Ranieri who decided to start Vardy, although in

the season before Ulloa had been the top scorer.

Could it be, that this decision was the reason,why

Vardy became a record-breaking striker last season,

and not Mr Way's magic?

I did not say it was all down to Way's influence, but taking off pressure and allowing players to reflect upon their standing and performance in a quiet, tranquil environment can help.

And let's not forget Vardy started adding goals to his tally as early as the second half of the 2014/2015 season, as part of our Great Escape©.

My guess is he simply took that form into the new season, under the guidance of Ranieri. And so did pretty much every other player, for that matter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kaewbudda said:

If this shrink was so bloody important then surely Jamie Vardy could have retained his services in a private capacity?  

The biggest single reason why Jamie Vardy started to score goals for Leicester City is because Claudio Ranieri moved him from the wing to a more central position.

The biggest single reason why Jamie Vardy isn't scoring so many goals now is because opposing teams have sussed us out and defend deeper.

Jesus Christ, a twelve year old could tell you that.

It has nothing to do with the retention of the club psychologist.

I'm sorry, but that's bollocks.

The reasons why Vardy started to score goals was

a) confidence (taken over from the previous season, as part of the Great Escape©)

b) grit, determination

c) tracking back

d) supply by Mahrez

I'd very much argue the first three points are directly or indirectly connected to mental strength and willpower, which in turn can be enhanced by the use of a sports psychologist.

• Like 1

I don't think Way or anybody on here posting that recognize that he was possibly good for the club and players are suggesting he was alone in creating any success we had. 

I shouldn't imagine that the guy was earning a fortune, his other business interests suggests he may have been part-time.

Claudio has publicly said he doesn't believe in or need Sports psychologist so regardless of who pulled the trigger it was his choice.

I was informed that Way left several weeks ago and spent a lot of time reading up on him. Convinced then that it was daft and even if just symbolic to fire a guy who was employed solely as a guy the players turned too.

Possibly the wrong message? Fact is, if it wasn't broken why change it for the few quid he cost

7 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

How do you know, that the almost incredible performance

improvement of Vardy was due to Mr Way and not to Ranieri?

It was Ranieri who decided to start Vardy, although in

the season before Ulloa had been the top scorer.

Could it be, that this decision was the reason,why

Vardy became a record-breaking striker last season,

and not Mr Way's magic?

Vardys form started at the back end of the first season where he spent a lot of time out wide initially

Edited by ARTY_FOX

Some of the arguments on here are missing the point. The use of a sports psychologist is an accepted facet of the modern game and modern sport in general. At a base level it doesn't matter why this one was released what matters is that we don't appear to have one. Life is not a simple black and white picture for many people. Just as failure can be hard to handle and a psychologist can help so can huge success. Especially where it propels you into a postion you never thought likely to be. I realise that many will scoff and laugh at this and point to the big salaries, great lifestyle, expensive cars and new contracts etc etc. Whilst all this sounds great sometimes under the surface things are not that straightforward. I have always felt that the ability to deal with unprecedented levels of success in the knowledge that you are never likely to be able to repeat that is in its own way just as tricky to deal with as failure.

• Like 2

I think people are being very black and white on this issue. Some crediting Way almost singlehandedly with our success, some denying he had anything to do with it. I think what some people, and Ranieri too, are not understanding is that taking even the smallest cog out of a machine it'll stop working. If he helped 4 or 5 integral members of the squad through some issues then he played a role in the title and getting rid was a mistake. It's not all down to one man, the staff as whole won the league. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

You could understand making tactical changes, even if you disagree with them but I see no reason why you would want to change anything off the pitch? Trying to think of reasons why Ranieri would get rid of him, other than the fact he's old school and doesn't see the benefit. Was he undermining him in some way? Was he becoming too powerful in the dressing room and the players becoming too reliant? Doesn't make sense.

You'd think the summer would have been an important time to use a psychologist, when they players have seen their profile and fame rise it would have been important to keep them grounded.

10 hours ago, AjcW said:

Fair enough on some of his comments but reading reactions on here like "it's a shame we were clearly such a forward thinking club" pull the other one we're 5-10 years behind most clubs even some in lower divisions! He's a sports psych for Christ sake, even Allardyce has them! 

- Our director of football fell into the role and is crap at it.

- Our youth set up is run by two dinosaurs 

- Our marketing team are as backwards as possible with zero creativity or forward thinking.

- Our club shop and it's abilities resemble a jumble sale ran by your blind nan (were owned by a ****ing retail giant!!)

- Our website, ticketing and comms are stuck in the 2000's

.....oh and to top it all off we're currently playing football that would be frowned upon in the sodding national league! 

So forward thinking......

None of those things could be altered by Pearson though. It's quite clear the forward thinking came from his side of things, letting his staff embrace and try new ideas and new technology that was forward thinking. We aren't and weren't a forward thinking club, we're one who had a manager that gave his staff the opportunity to do those things. 

Way has mentioned the danger of 'terrorists' who suck the life out of a club.      Wonder if we have (at least) one ? ...    If so who might it be ? ...    only guesswork but perhaps someone who is a big friend of CR's and one of his favourites who, if he was pointed out, helped seal Ways fate (shoot the messenger) ....     someone who could affect others by not doing much and leaving others to do part of his job for him ...    someone who is sulky by nature ...   someone who had (say) a big falling out with another player which became toxic and devisive.     If there was anyone like that i would have cashed in on him earlier.    

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

None of those things could be altered by Pearson though. It's quite clear the forward thinking came from his side of things, letting his staff embrace and try new ideas and new technology that was forward thinking. We aren't and weren't a forward thinking club, we're one who had a manager that gave his staff the opportunity to do those things. 

Obviously wasn't referencing the off the field stuff to him, also this wasn't particularly directed at Pearson.

If you want to explore that avenue though then I believe If he is as stronger character as everyone on here will have you think, you'd like to think that given his success here he could have pushed for a change to the youth set up and an end to whatever rudkins role is.

Like I said some good points re him embracing Sports Psych but it's certainly not a new thing is it, I mean he himself had been using it elsewhere before us.

If we want to reference forward thinking at this club we lost that when Walsh and his analysts left.

Psychology is a big part of sport and should be taken seriously, you can get yourself physically fit and be the fittest you've ever been but if you are not mentally prepared or your brain is being distracted by off the field problems it will have an effect on your game and therefore the team as a whole. Claudio should have understood that anything that helps players and the team is a good thing and therefore he let the players and himself down by getting rid of the person and should have been more forward thinking.

Where is the thread on a statue for Way and the disgusting way he was dumped after our success? Was there a march from the Clock tower for him? Where were the media during this outrage, I don't recall Owen, Merson Savage creating a sh1t storm about it.....oh and it was that really nice guy that forced him out.....

9 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Obviously wasn't referencing the off the field stuff to him, also this wasn't particularly directed at Pearson.

If you want to explore that avenue though then I believe If he is as stronger character as everyone on here will have you think, you'd like to think that given his success here he could have pushed for a change to the youth set up and an end to whatever rudkins role is.

Like I said some good points re him embracing Sports Psych but it's certainly not a new thing is it, I mean he himself had been using it elsewhere before us.

If we want to reference forward thinking at this club we lost that when Walsh and his analysts left.

i understood where you were coming from, I agreed in a way with everything you said. We're not forward thinking as a club. Point I was making was that I think when people reference that then really they mean Pearson. Without him we're pretty backwards thinking (Ranieri and Sven FFS.... now you hear of us after Hiddink again).

We know he's had plenty of run ins with DOF's and CEO's over the years, we'll never know if he's pointed out people as being issues. Lets not forgot we lost one DOF pretty quickly under Pearson in his one season in the prem, that wasn't Rudkin he came in later after Robinson went. So he might not have had time to say anything.

Have you read the book by Jonathon Norcroft on us? Gives great insight on how Pearson ran the backroom team and got everyone involved. Really insightful.

Edited by Babylon

14 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

Mr Way was working for LCFC also in the 2014/15 season.

Just a reminder: we were rock-bottom for more than 140

days. What did he do during that time? Was he on strike?

Jamie Vardy scored in that season only 1 goal before the

Great Escape began. 1 goal in 29 games. Where was Mr

Way? Couldn't he help him to get back in form a little bit

faster?

I don't know, what exactly that guy is doing, but obviously

he doesn't work fast.

In other words.

Although Mr Way was at the club since 2011 and had

therefore enough time to work his magic on the players,

we  got almost relegated in 2014/15.

Not he made the Great Escape possible, but Huth,

Cambiasso and 352.

Why am I not surprised to hear from him again right

now?

Don't be such a thicko.  Perhaps it was a lot to do with this guy that our heads never dropped once during that time and were mentally tough enough to go on the run at the end of the season, 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, inckley fox said:

You obviously haven't read many of my posts, even in the last hour or so. A lot of people at the club need to take a look at themselves, but the board aren't going anywhere and you can't fire your players, so Ranieri was always going to be the first to be held accountable. And, of course, it's easy (a) to pinpoint where he's made quite serious errors this season, and (b) to see where we were headed if he remained in charge. So he's been rightly criticised this season, and his sacking - while cruel and terribly upsetting for us - actually sort of makes sense.

But you're quite wrong to say I've ignored those criticisms of the board, and I've also been highly critical of the players. Don't confuse me understanding the decision to sack Ranieri, and seeing where he's made mistakes, for a failure to look at other factors.

An excellent original post and even better reply.