Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League gets Kodi piracy court order

6 hours ago, BridgfordFox said:

Won't a VPN get round any blocks that the ISP's put in place ??

no and yes

A High Court order has been secured which gives the league power to shut down illegal video streams on Kodi by blocking access to the servers on which they are hosted.

It is a leap in the fight against illegal streaming, as until now, rights holders could only terminate individual streams, which could easily be reconnected.

no if you are on kodi or a web stream

yes if you have a vpn and direct access through comcast/etc

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Yes, it's  not the fault of Sky / BT they are not allowed to broadcast live games on Saturdays at 3pm that is all down to the FA set up to protect the lower league clubs who it's predicted that overtime their attendances will drop. In other words the number of glory hunters would increase massively as anyone anywhere could choose a PL team and watch all their games.

1 hour ago, les-tah said:

Yep! ultimately they cannot protect the lower league clubs forever though. Which is unfortunate.

Ultimately it's the Premier League's fault for breaking away and taking all the TV money with them. They negotiate their own TV deals away from the FA, and the FA naturally have a lower level offering to sell to TV companies.

That meant the FA have to put into place rules not fit for the internet age to protect lower league clubs, and the people of the UK are the only ones in the world that can't legally watch UK teams online every match.

people have said this above and i completely agree. I never considered paying for a song but now we have itunes where you play 9.99 for unlimited content i am more than happy to pay for it. a similar model in football would create MORE revenue if they were more adaptable to the market!! no chance of stopping streaming especially as technology improves! 

they will spend more time fighting piracy than they will make from preventing it by the few arrests they make

16 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Ultimately it's the Premier League's fault for breaking away and taking all the TV money with them. They negotiate their own TV deals away from the FA, and the FA naturally have a lower level offering to sell to TV companies.

That meant the FA have to put into place rules not fit for the internet age to protect lower league clubs, and the people of the UK are the only ones in the world that can't legally watch UK teams online every match.

Ok who's going to start a petition for something to be debated in HoC? I'm sure we'd get the 100,000 required without the help of UK based Manure fans ... but every little helps!

11 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Yes that's what started it if the money was evenly spread throughout the leagues like the NFL, although admittedly a much smaller group then 3pm viewings wouldn't have such an impact. The PL would argue that they need all this money to compete in Europe albeit not that successfully plus it's arguable the high money in the PL that's driving up the cost of football globally as other countries compete to keep their players away from the PL.

Surely long term it would hit attendances though if you can pay to watch any game? Maybe not in the Premier League, but further down the pyramid why would people go and watch their local team play when they can just click a button on the remote and become an "armchair fan" 

29 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Surely long term it would hit attendances though if you can pay to watch any game? Maybe not in the Premier League, but further down the pyramid why would people go and watch their local team play when they can just click a button on the remote and become an "armchair fan" 

Less likely to be an issue if all fans are catered for properly.

Out of interest - how good is the German access to Bundesliga games on TV?

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

showing a complete misunderstanding of why people stream... I'm not streaming us vs Liverpool where I could watch on tv - I'm streaming us vs hull where it's not on TV in this country. It's not about watching a premier league match where I can take whatever took sky and bts fancy, it's about watching my team. Offer me a leicester tv subscription where I pay and get all our games and yes, I'll stop streaming and buy that - not paying to watch some borefest like Sunderland v Middlesbrough if we're on elsewhere 

This. 

I am not interested in any other teams because:

A. I can't stand any of them and don't give a **** about them

B. I don't have enough hours in the day for their self publicising bullshit.

Its Leicester or nothing for me.

43 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Less likely to be an issue if all fans are catered for properly.

Out of interest - how good is the German access to Bundesliga games on TV?

I was thinking about that earlier, probably even if all the games were televised for free attendances would barely be impacted in Germany

5 hours ago, The Blur said:

Be honest guys- I do not buy that most of people will be happy to pay for a subscription showing all of Leicester City matches when they could stream it for free.    

Lot to be said for convience - given the choice of paying a fee, popping my feet up and pressing a button for a guaranteed quality stream or delving around a few websites trying to find one that isn't just a pixel of blue on ten pixels of green, I'd take the former every time. 

Hell, If your argument rang true Netflix would have nothing going for it - you can illegally stream any tv show you want elsewhere. 

8 hours ago, The Blur said:

Be honest guys- I do not buy that most of people will be happy to pay for a subscription showing all of Leicester City matches when they could stream it for free.    

3 hours ago, melrose said:

Me neither

When we got promoted I use to pay premier league pass in New Zealand so I could watch all our away games even tho I could probably have got it elsewhere for free

i paid so I could have a high quality stream with no fears of it "going down" and having to scramble to find something else quickly 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Lot to be said for convience - given the choice of paying a fee, popping my feet up and pressing a button for a guaranteed quality stream or delving around a few websites trying to find one that isn't just a pixel of blue on ten pixels of green, I'd take the former every time. 

Hell, If your argument rang true Netflix would have nothing going for it - you can illegally stream any tv show you want elsewhere. 

I don't have Kodi and the wi-fi speed in my village out in the sticks is crap. I just about get away with a dodgy stream on my laptop every week via first row sports, but the quality is terrible. At least I understand the NBC commentary but the picture quality is awful and is always crashing.

I'd quite happily pay £10 each time to watch every Leicester game in HD on my 50 inch large screen TV if that was an option...

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I don't have Kodi and the wi-fi speed in my village out in the sticks is crap. I just about get away with a dodgy stream on my laptop every week via first row sports, but the quality is terrible. At least I understand the NBC commentary but the picture quality is awful and is always crashing.

I'd quite happily pay £10 each time to watch every Leicester game in HD on my 50 inch large screen TV if that was an option...

Rupert, he meant 1.99.

52 minutes ago, Karljohn said:

What about blocking sites accessed by Paedophiles instead. 

If sky wasn't so damn expensive then there would be no need to stream. 

Yeah there would, not every Leicester game is live on Sky

I can understand the point about the effects of live broadcasts on lower league clubs, but the idea of being able to protect them by simply not showing PL matches live (or at all?) is outdated and will ultimately fail. I suspect it will be introduced eventually anyway.

The answer is probably for the PL to provide an additional subsidy to gate prices for the lower league clubs to make them cheap enough to attract more supporters. The money could come from the extra revenue generated from TV.

As an aside, are all PL matches broadcast on Sky/BT eventually (ie time-shifted) or simply not broadcast at all? If not shown at all, a partial solution would be to broadcast them at (say) 6pm. Coupled with recording capability, this at least gives everyone the opportunity to see the teams they actually support, though I appreciate it doesn't suit those wishing to discuss the match live with others (like here).

Effectively this is what I have to do here in Aus. Every match is broadcast live but rather late for my 89 year old dad, so I record them and watch them with him the next day, being careful not to find out the score. Not perfect but better than nothing.

Sky, the FA, the PL, believe in free enterprise...

Piracy is nothing but...

Jesus we are British...we are the best pirates in the world...

Trying to peg-leg inadequate rulings, will just fire up the basic instinct in us all, dont try and force or tell us

what we cant do...we are just too good and stubborn, to follow inadequecies of paper business, we the customer

the user, the want to knows, will always have an answer, to legitated corruption...!!!

They are so stupid, they dont realise they they have lost before they began.

Case of British business c incompetence, feeds the developement of the masses....Hoist the jolly Roger, mi 'arties

deadmans chest and a  bottle rum, will keep these media moguls stupid and dumb...

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I can understand the point about the effects of live broadcasts on lower league clubs, but the idea of being able to protect them by simply not showing PL matches live (or at all?) is outdated and will ultimately fail. I suspect it will be introduced eventually anyway.

The answer is probably for the PL to provide an additional subsidy to gate prices for the lower league clubs to make them cheap enough to attract more supporters. The money could come from the extra revenue generated from TV.

As an aside, are all PL matches broadcast on Sky/BT eventually (ie time-shifted) or simply not broadcast at all? If not shown at all, a partial solution would be to broadcast them at (say) 6pm. Coupled with recording capability, this at least gives everyone the opportunity to see the teams they actually support, though I appreciate it doesn't suit those wishing to discuss the match live with others (like here).

Effectively this is what I have to do here in Aus. Every match is broadcast live but rather late for my 89 year old dad, so I record them and watch them with him the next day, being careful not to find out the score. Not perfect but better than nothing.

Job done, this is all it takes. A percentage of stream income goes to the clubs. :schmike:

54 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Sky, the FA, the PL, believe in free enterprise...

Piracy is nothing but...

Jesus we are British...we are the best pirates in the world...

Trying to peg-leg inadequate rulings, will just fire up the basic instinct in us all, dont try and force or tell us

what we cant do...we are just too good and stubborn, to follow inadequecies of paper business, we the customer

the user, the want to knows, will always have an answer, to legitated corruption...!!!

They are so stupid, they dont realise they they have lost before they began.

Case of British business c incompetence, feeds the developement of the masses....Hoist the jolly Roger, mi 'arties

deadmans chest and a  bottle rum, will keep these media moguls stupid and dumb...

AARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Jim Lad  :wes:  :schmike:

So the argument is that if all live games are accessible via stream, then lower league clubs will suffer.

In theory, Jim Bob the builder from Ibstock would rather pay £10.00 / month to a "footyfy" streaming service rather than going to watch Coalville Town?

A few things to note here.

Q: Does me having "Spotify" , stop me going to the local pub too watch an a live band? 

A: No, I still attend for the atmosphere and live experience. The pub is still generally packed.

Q: Do the Premier League, BT, Sky stand a good chance of fining people in the U.K.? 

A: No, ultimately it'll be challenged in court as uneffical trading and could actually impact them finically. You could argue now that what they are doing is anti-competitive and the office of fair trading could potentially have a field day, as they are ripping the consumer off.

-------

Off topic, I pay for Sky, I only search for a stream when I can't see Leicester play. Again, as others have said, I'd happily pay £120 a year for said service. The Premier League is a money pit with an unsustainable model. At some point, it's going to go bang and clubs will suffer like the collapse of ITV digital. 

I'd be intrigued to know if overall subscription numbers are falling? 

I actually negotiated my entire entire full package with Sky last time around for £50 a month, movies, sports, the lot.

Why? I told them I was leaving, the content was poor, better access from other services and the selection of B grade movies was pointless. If they approach me to increase this, they'll lose me. I'd say I'm on the cheaper side but as people become more tech savvy, they'll start to lose the people who pay top dollar and how are they then going to bid £5,000,000,000 for the bloody access rights to 160 games?!? 

I'm also aware that UEFA have concerns with the low level of BT TV subscribers and the Champions League Coverage as it impacted the deals they able to do directly in terms of advertising. This lead to the UCL final being "streamed" live on YouTube a few years ago.

Live streaming is the future. Football in this country just needs to catch up. 

possibly been proposed somewhere in this thread but dont want to read through:

if tickets were cheap, attendances wouldnt be hit by all games being shown on tv.

i thought gate reciepts meant little to a premier league clubs financial income these days.

21 hours ago, ian_marshall said:

Surely this works both ways though. Sky and BT can bleat as much as they want about streaming being theft (as there's no denying that it is), however I don't see them compensating fans who have paid for match tickets, travel, etc. in advance of the event only to find out that the broadcaster has moved the fixture to a ridiculous time meaning said supporter cannot attend the game simply to accommodate the broadcaster's viewers who pay circa £1.50 a game. Surely this also constitutes theft as money was paid in good faith for a match ticket and other expenses, and such changes are outside of the control of the paying fan.

Furthermore, I certainly don't see why someone who has shelled out £30 once for a match ticket which has been rendered obsolete should then be forced to pay Sky £6 to watch the game on NowTV when the broadcaster is the reason the supporter can't get to the game in the first place. Sky/BT should at least have the decency to offer ticket holders the opportunity to watch their stream free of charge. This is something the PL need to enforce, but sadly I can only see them banging the drum for their paymasters.

I had to make a TON of effort for the Everton game last year.... trains don't run on a Sunday down ere!

Archived