Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League gets Kodi piracy court order

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

"Football fans are urged instead to get a Sky Sports or BT Sport subscription "

Will they both start showing every Leicester game then? Because if not, why would I? I'm not keen on seeing who Man U and Arsenal play every week. Takes me under a minute to get a HD stream of Leicester games and I'd consider paying if they started providing a service where I could do that. 

Its funny that people from the middle east or north Africa such as myself can get a subscription to watch every single PL game with a proper quality and native commentary (for about 250-350 pounds a year)+ LA liga, calcio, ligue 1. Bundesliga champions league, UL and many cup compilations and other sports but English people can't. That will really get on my nerves.

55 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I have no sympathy for them. 

Id happily pay £500 for a Leicester city season pass to watch all LCFC games on my TV but I can't so people watch them anyway on-line for free streaming.

Like a previous poster said, move with the times and give people what they want - people who want to go to the games always will. They are sitting in a gold mine selling off tiny lumps when they could be printing money the daft gits.

£500? You could go to the home games all season for less

Most people would probably pay £100, which is reasonable

Surely this works both ways though. Sky and BT can bleat as much as they want about streaming being theft (as there's no denying that it is), however I don't see them compensating fans who have paid for match tickets, travel, etc. in advance of the event only to find out that the broadcaster has moved the fixture to a ridiculous time meaning said supporter cannot attend the game simply to accommodate the broadcaster's viewers who pay circa £1.50 a game. Surely this also constitutes theft as money was paid in good faith for a match ticket and other expenses, and such changes are outside of the control of the paying fan.

Furthermore, I certainly don't see why someone who has shelled out £30 once for a match ticket which has been rendered obsolete should then be forced to pay Sky £6 to watch the game on NowTV when the broadcaster is the reason the supporter can't get to the game in the first place. Sky/BT should at least have the decency to offer ticket holders the opportunity to watch their stream free of charge. This is something the PL need to enforce, but sadly I can only see them banging the drum for their paymasters.

PL desperately need to set up their own NFL/MLB style streaming service and set up a pay-for channel on Sky/Virgin to support the online offering.

They could easily have some kind of online packages:

Access every PL game for £x per year

Access just your team's game for £x per year

Purchase individual games for £x per game

General subscription for £x per month

Problem is they probably wouldn't get anywhere near the £5bn they got in the last round of TV rights in the UK if they went themselves, so there's absolutely no incentive to do it.

But as most have said, it is absolutely ridiculous that people cannot access their team's game when the rest of the world can. It's so backward.

Lived in Cape Town for 4 months of last season, and spent the last 2 months of it staying with a mate in Botswana, and was able to watch every one of our matches either in a pub or at his house. 

Want to watch Premier League matches?

If you live in Botswana:

DSTV SuperSport subscription costs 610 Pula (£48) a month, which gives you access to all 380 EPL matches as well as dozens of other sports.

Or you can go to literally any pub. 

If you live in the UK:

You must subscribe to Sky AND BTSport - Sky requires you to get a full package which costs £48 a month, or £27 on top of an existing package for access to 126 matches, while BT charges £29.99 a month for access to 42 matches.

Think about that. In the UK you're being asked to pay nearly £80 a month or go to a pub for access to Premier League matches, on the off chance that Sky or BT will move your team's games - Saturday 3PM kick offs are not broadcast thanks to a law from the 1960s. If you live in Botswana you pay £48 (610 Pula) and you have access to everything.

I was able to watch every one of our matches last season while my dad, 8 miles from the actual stadium it was happening in, either had to pay £80 in the hope our games would be moved or find an easily accessible stream.

Then within the game there's the fact that clubs are paid per match - there's a minimum amount of games that must be shown per club but after that it's up to Sky and BT to choose which one will get more viewers. It because of this that last seasons Premier League Champions earned less than 5 other clubs. And we're the ones under suspicion of "Financial Fair Play" transgressions.

Complete madness. 

1 hour ago, dylanlegend said:

Similar story to the music industry a few years ago, they fought piracy time and time again and in the end gave up. itunes and now spotify was set up and it solved the issue.

Instead of fighting the piracy they need to change with the times. Provide a legal platform we can watch the games they show in the USA, we pay a fee per game or per month...

....everybody's appy

exactly because spotify is so simple and very cheap i dont download music anymore, its cheap enough and hasslle free enough to pay for it.

Same with football when they stop being greedy and make it cheaper and show all the games like USA/other countries do people wont go out there way and be pirates as its just hassle. 

I paid for 5000bht ( £ 100)  last year for Thai TV, I could watch every premier league game.  Got a bunch of other channels as well. It was awesome.

Dont understand why they dont set up a game pass thing like the NFL use

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

WOAH Slow down before you **** it up for the rest of us. imagine if murdock saw that. £500 for a year!!! £40 more like

Ha! Fair point lol

But if a season ticket costs that and you are getting double the games with the away games too - I'll tell you now that's where they'll be pitching it.

People will just split it with their mates and sky go though! 

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

Ha! Fair point lol

But if a season ticket costs that and you are getting double the games with the away games too - I'll tell you now that's where they'll be pitching it.

People will just split it with their mates and sky go though! 

Is there anyone in the US that can tell how much a sub to NBCSN or something is that show all the games

1 hour ago, melrose said:

£500? You could go to the home games all season for less

Most people would probably pay £100, which is reasonable

No I couldn't and that's my point - nor do I want to or have the time!

Its half the price of travelling home and away in ticket prices alone - never mind the travel costs.

8 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

No I couldn't and that's my point - nor do I want to or have the time!

Its half the price of travelling home and away in ticket prices alone - never mind the travel costs.

Tbf i would happily pay £500, its like what £13 a game? They could also charge one off PPV at a slightly higher price.

So we will all be watching Manchester United and Arsenal forever then. Like others have said, if they provide access to the games we want e.g. every leicester game, people might think about paying, until that happens then they can shut down servers, but they are fighting an unknown industry. Like music piracy, the more you attack it the more are generated.

2 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Similar story to the music industry a few years ago, they fought piracy time and time again and in the end gave up. itunes and now spotify was set up and it solved the issue.

Instead of fighting the piracy they need to change with the times. Provide a legal platform we can watch the games they show in the USA, we pay a fee per game or per month...

....everybody's appy

This is pretty much it. They made ALL songs/music available in one software and illegal downloading of music is pretty much dead now.

Same needs to be done for football matches. Not gonna lie I don't give a **** about watching Sky Sports hyped up bore fests between Man City and Man Utd. If I could watch every Leicester game on Sky (away games, mainly), then I'd consider paying.

But why would I pay at the moment when I can get a stream of Al-Jazeera to watch Leicesters away games.

Football fans are urged instead to get a Sky Sports or BT Sport subscription, or watch games at a venue that pays for access.

showing a complete misunderstanding of why people stream... I'm not streaming us vs Liverpool where I could watch on tv - I'm streaming us vs hull where it's not on TV in this country. It's not about watching a premier league match where I can take whatever took sky and bts fancy, it's about watching my team. Offer me a leicester tv subscription where I pay and get all our games and yes, I'll stop streaming and buy that - not paying to watch some borefest like Sunderland v Middlesbrough if we're on elsewhere 

3 hours ago, davieG said:

The Premier League has secured a court order to help tackle rights-infringing video streams of football matches via so-called Kodi set-top boxes.

The order gives the league the means to have computer servers used to power the streams blocked.

Until now, it could only go after individual video streams which were relatively easy to re-establish at different links.

A spokesman said it could now target pirates in a "precise manner".

"For the first time this will enable the Premier League to disrupt and prevent the illegal streaming of our matches via IPTV, so-called Kodi, boxes," he added.

Football fans are urged instead to get a Sky Sports or BT Sport subscription , or watch games at a venue that pays for access.

'Pirating epidemic'

The Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact) declared that the use of Kodi software to watch pirated streams was becoming an "epidemic" last September.

Since then, there have been several arrests of people selling set-top boxes pre-installed with both Kodi software and additional third-party add-ons that make it possible to watch copyright-infringing film and TV streams.

According to a recent survey commissioned by the security firm Irdeto, Kodi boxes are particularly prevalent in the UK.

It reported that 11% of Brits that admitted to watching pirated streams in a survey said they did so via a Kodi box.

Doing so is not thought to be illegal.

"Accessing premium paid-for content without a subscription is considered by the industry as unlawful access, although streaming something online, rather than downloading a file, is likely to be exempt from copyright laws," Derbyshire County Council trading standards officers recently said.

What are Kodi boxes?

Kodi is free software, built by volunteers, that is designed to bring videos, music, games and photographs together in one easy-to-use application.

Some shops sell set-top boxes and TV sticks known as Kodi boxes, preloaded with the software.

The developers behind Kodi say their software does not contain any content of its own and is designed to play legally owned media or content "freely available" on the internet.

Image copyrightKODI

Image captionKodi turns compatible devices into a "media centre"

However, the software can be modified with third-party add-ons that provide access to pirated copies of films and TV series, or provide free access to subscription television channels.

"Streaming boxes have steadily increased in popularity in recent years," said Ernesto van der Sar, from the news site Torrentfreak.

"Most use the entirely legal Kodi software, but some are augmented with illegal third-party add-ons.

"Nowadays people often prefer to stream pirated content instead of using traditional torrent sites."

Bring the prices down then lollol

Reduce match day ticket prices. 

Set up an online streaming season ticket. 

No need for kodi. 

Simple. 

Sky/BT still get their money, can either watch what is being given to you or pay a premium and get all your teams games. 

If they really want to cash in, set up a PPV for League Cup/FA Cup games. 

You go to the US and you get so many games live on their equivalent of Sky Sports, 3/4 other 3pm kick off games will be available online. 

If BT and sky had the service we get here in the US then maybe there wouldn't be a problem?

NBC sports shows one game live and any other games on at that time are streamed live in HD quality  on their own website.. usually three main games live on a Saturday. And if I  have the app, I can watch that game anywhere I want to. At work, on the bog, anywhere. They are archived online so you can watch them all  when you have the time to..

Get your fingers  out, BT and Sky and be proactive about solving your own problems maybe?

I love pirating and streaming. fvck the corporates

Out of interest, here in Oz... Foxtel (Sky sports murdoch bastards) who have had the rights for years until this year where Optus (singtel a phone company) out bid them.

i have bought the phone package which gives me...

Unlimited calls

2gb downloads and access to ALL premier league games for a grand total of $30 a month

If there was a legal, subscription based sports streaming service where I could watch any football match at 3:00pm on a Saturday or any "PPV" event in 4k quality I'd happily pay for it.

Sky are missing out on millions and millions in my opinion. I don't stream sports because it's free, I stream because it's obviously the most hassle free way of watching any sporting event I want to watch.

Most people have "Smart TVs" these days. I have a Netflix button on my remote controller ffs.

Archived