Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

A ban on sacking managers mid-season?

A ban on sacking managers mid-season? Neville 'completely supports' idea

A system banning clubs from sacking their managers until the end of the season would have the full support of ex-Valencia boss Gary Neville.

Published

1 hour ago

Gary Neville says he would support a system that banned clubs from sacking their managers during the season.

The former Manchester United captain feels a set of rules similar to the transfer window for bosses would represent a positive step, providing coaches and players with more certainty.

Neville believes there would be backing for the idea from those within football, but does not think owners would be happy.

The ex-Valencia boss was speaking after Middlesbrough made Aitor Karanka the sixth Premier League manager to lose his job since the start of the campaign.

"I would support completely the idea that managers can't be sacked during the season," Neville said during his Sky Sports podcast.

"When you set off at the start of the season with a manager then he has to be your manager for the entire season. 

"Football would support it, in terms of the professional side - I'm not sure whether the owners would.

"But it would mean the players would know you're going to be the manager until the end of the season, they'd have to get on with it."

Despite Leicester City's improvement since sacking title-winning manager Claudio Ranieri, Neville insists there are plenty of examples where such a move does not pay off.

He continued: "Teams are making changes at the bottom of the league and I'm almost sitting there thinking, 'I wish this doesn't work' because when it does, it gives others the confidence to change their manager.

"There have been examples where it's worked when managers are sacked and where it hasn't. I'm not sure there is a distinction between either. 

"It seems to be more the done thing where you do sack the manager at the earliest point as the players respond.  We have seen that at Leicester - what an incredible bounce they have had. It's happened at Swansea and Hull."

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher, who like Neville now works as a television pundit, has also previously supported the idea of preventing managerial changes mid-season.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/a-ban-sacking-managers-mid-season-neville-completely-supports-idea#UbiUlEK6m4o1wy9B.99

I'm sure they wouldn't be so keen on the idea if it was 'their' club heading down the pan of relegation.

I personally can see where he is coming from but it takes away a bit of the excitement, I believed we were doomed this season but now the excitement is back, I feel we can get top half but also have a chance of beating athletico in the champions league

Maybe we can get the company I work for to put this in place. Then I can act like a total useless arsehole for 12 months, get zero results, upset my colleagues and be immune to dismissal all whilst receiving my nice salary. 

Once I've finished being a cvnt there, I can then get sacked during the allocated sacking period, find a new job and then repeat the process there, once again immune to any criticism. 

Wow, I mean, I totally couldn't see any way possible this could be bad for the businesses I choose to work for! I bet everyone would be right ****ing up for it. 

/s

This will only hurt teams at the bottom mainly. 

Clubs who sacked their manager this season 

Palace 

Middlesbrough 

Swansea (twice)

Hull

Leicester 

United could afford to keep Moyes til the end of the season because their fate wasn't as a catastrophic as ours was with Ranieri.

Neville hasn't thought this through has he!

2 minutes ago, daz*dsb said:

Maybe we can get the company I work for to put this in place. Then I can act like a total useless arsehole for 12 months, get zero results, upset my colleagues and be immune to dismissal all whilst receiving my nice salary. 

Once I've finished being a cvnt there, I can then get sacked during the allocated sacking period, find a new job and then repeat the process there, once again immune to any criticism. 

Wow, I mean, I totally couldn't see any way possible this could be bad for the businesses I choose to work for! I bet everyone would be right ****ing up for it. 

/s

That is where I work in a nutshell.

I don't agree that they should be banned. Does he feel that clubs at the bottom of the league should just fester in their own shite, pretty much? Forget whether you can try and improve a situation by getting rid of someone who's the cause of it. Odd logic by Neville to suggest clubs can't have the option to change.

Also, it would give too much of a comfort zone for managers, surely? Knowing that they can try as hard as they can and potentially just not be any good at their job, yet they know they have until May to be in a job. 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't agree that they should be banned. Does he feel that clubs at the bottom of the league should just fester in their own shite, pretty much? Forget whether you can try and improve a situation by getting rid of someone who's the cause of it. Odd logic by Neville to suggest clubs can't have the option to change.

Also, it would give too much of a comfort zone for managers, surely? Knowing that they can try as hard as they can and potentially just not be any good at their job, yet they know they have until May to be in a job. 

This is what annoyed me so much about the whole Claudio thing. The amount of times we heard Pundits and other fans, saying that we should just be happy what we did last season, and stick with Claudio even if it means being relegated.. or as Niall Quinn said.. "wouldn't sack him even if they suffered 2 consecutive relegations to league 1"...   Idiots! 

Enjoying seeing so many of them now back pedalling and saying it was the right decision. 

Yeah right I agree.

What next you can't drop a striker for not scoring in 20 games.

You have to play your first choice CB even though he has a broken leg.

Really what tw@ thought this one up?

ahhh a sacked tw@.

Do these tw@s not realise it's now and has been for years a business.

In an ideal world we all own a Ferrari and have millions.

Yes let's go with this and add no team can play a squad with a value of +- 10% of the side they are playing.

Sackings are part of the game, if you aren't good enough to get the results required you need to be moved on. 

Neville played under one manager in his career who was never going to be sacked, he never suffered a relegation battle so has no experience of what it is like when you are really struggling for results, the performances are bad, the manager is spouting deluded nonsense. Why should you have to stick with a failing manager?

Would managers, on the flip side, want the opportunity to join another club denied during the season too? 

Archived