Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I wouldn'receivingebbo is a troll per se - IMO h e believes what he says and isn't looking to get a rise in the classic troll fashion. He does engage in Sealioning a bit though, I reckon.

Lets not get into this again , there are already some people recieving counselling from my use of question marks.

16 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

For the record, you're all a bunch of Dogpiling, Sea-Lioning, Gish Galloping, Gaslighting spin doctors.

Personally, I'd have opted for 'cvnts', but yea, that works too! lol

You know how I'm irrationally scared that Brexit may encourage us to see eu immigrants, not as economic and cultural assets which our strong culture and communities welcome without fear, but as troublemakers who we feel we can degrade?

Here's the lovable rouge Iain Duncan Smith describing immigrants as having ' very low value'.

Is this prominent Tory a good example of dynamic, strong, open and welcoming culture? Hmm!

8 hours ago, Foxxed said:

You know how I'm irrationally scared that Brexit may encourage us to see eu immigrants, not as economic and cultural assets which our strong culture and communities welcome without fear, but as troublemakers who we feel we can degrade?

Here's the lovable rouge Iain Duncan Smith describing immigrants as having ' very low value'.

Is this prominent Tory a good example of dynamic, strong, open and welcoming culture? Hmm!

But it needs to be part of the discussion, calling them racist or inflammatory is only further fanning the flames. Why are we suffering record low number of young adults in work? Why are we not employing and training them to do the jobs migrants are taking? Removing the discussion does not remove the problem.

29 minutes ago, Strokes said:

But it needs to be part of the discussion, calling them racist or inflammatory is only further fanning the flames. Why are we suffering record low number of young adults in work? Why are we not employing and training them to do the jobs migrants are taking? Removing the discussion does not remove the problem.

I'm not sure your annicdote compares to the national figures shown in the link below. You listen to any government minister, they'll tell you we have record levels of employment. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/apr2017#summary-of-latest-labour-market-statistics

4 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I'm not sure your annicdote compares to the national figures shown in the link below. You listen to any government minister, they'll tell you we have record levels of employment. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/apr2017#summary-of-latest-labour-market-statistics

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05871

yeah I should probably look it up before I post it. Apologies.

However my point still stands, we have 558,000 young adults out of work. What was that net migration figure? Surely they're could be a redressing of the balance here so we are not failing these children both in education and out of it.

I know it's not PC to be PC these days but I don't necessarily have issue with what he's trying to say but it's the language he uses that annoys me. Anyone with more than one braincell knows that immigration is an emotive subject, he seems to make a point of talking about "low value people" in his horrible nasal voice. 

1 hour ago, LiberalFox said:

I know it's not PC to be PC these days but I don't necessarily have issue with what he's trying to say but it's the language he uses that annoys me. Anyone with more than one braincell knows that immigration is an emotive subject, he seems to make a point of talking about "low value people" in his horrible nasal voice. 

14 hours ago, Foxxed said:

He is very clearly talking about the value to the economy.  People keep talking about how science and city will suffer if they can't access the right talent, and this is talking to that issue.

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

He is very clearly talking about the value to the economy.  People keep talking about how science and city will suffer if they can't access the right talent, and this is talking to that issue.

People are getting offended because of who is, not what he is actually saying. If we are being honest.

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

He is very clearly talking about the value to the economy.  People keep talking about how science and city will suffer if they can't access the right talent, and this is talking to that issue.People keep talking about how science and city will suffer if they can't access the right talent, and this is talking to that issue.

Perhaps the government should then address the gaps developing in academic research circles regarding UK and EU future scientific collaboration then?

It's right that the UK would suffer if it can't access the right talent or if UK scientific talent moves elsewhere, but there seems to be precious few assurances (those that are actually allaying the fears the UK academic community anyway) that are being offered right now that could make lots of STEMheads reconsider moving elsewhere.

On 10/05/2017 at 16:25, Jon the Hat said:

On 10/05/2017 at 11:16, Strokes said:

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05871

yeah I should probably look it up before I post it. Apologies.

However my point still stands, we have 558,000 young adults out of work. What was that net migration figure? Surely they're could be a redressing of the balance here so we are not failing these children both in education and out of it.

Language is important.

Language is very, very important when you're a public figure who influences millions.

He did say "low skilled people" and that's fine. That's really fine.

But - in addition - he said "low value".

One is perfectly fine. And the other validates and emboldens the lunatic fringe, those that have already beaten and killed immigrants.

Highly skilled EU immigrants are leaving the UK. Are highly skilled immigrants good for the economy? I'm going for yes. Hopefully this is just a hiccup though.

This also included a 92% fall in those registering to be nurses - thereby reducing the quality of care we receive.

http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/media/blog/first-signs-of-falling-migration-after-the-brexit-vote/

Single-quarter falls in a sector are not uncommon, however simultaneous falls across a range of sectors alongside other data does corroborate the finding that a shift is underway. There were 25 per cent more vacancies in construction in the final quarter of 2016 than in the third and 7 per cent more vacancies in hotels and restaurants. Furthermore we recently learned that there has been a 92 per cent fall in EU nationals registering as nurses since the referendum.

The final chart looks at migrant workers disaggregated by educational attainment. By far the biggest fall (50,000) in the fourth quarter came from highly educated migrants (those who left education after 21 years of age). The number of those who left education between 16 and 21 (who form the largest group of EU workers in the UK) actually rose by 20,000.

Some more racist attacks on Polish people, this time in Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-39874222

It's getting to the point where I'm fairly worried about my Polish friends being attacked anywhere in this country.

They were repeatedly told to "go back to their own country" before being spat at and then viciously attacked.

Calling immigrants, not just low skilled, but low value and having a immigrant blame culture. We had racist attacks before but there's more or less a weekly Polish bashing.

Also, I thought Facebook was shit. But he made good use of it at least!

4 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Some more racist attacks on Polish people, this time in Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-39874222

It's getting to the point where I'm fairly worried about my Polish friends being attacked anywhere in this country.

Calling immigrants, not just low skilled, but low value and having a immigrant blame culture. We had racist attacks before but there's more or less a weekly Polish bashing.

Also, I thought Facebook was shit. But he made good use of it at least!

The attack was before the referendum, but hey it's still definitely the fault of a future event.

Archived